Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Should I use 720p or 1080i mode with upconverting AVR?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

We have an AVR that upconverts to 1080p, and I was wondering, with our HR24 reciever, should I use the 720p mode or 1080i mode?

DirecTV says I should use the 1080i mode, since there is no scaling required, only deinterlacing, which DirecTV says is a simpler process than scaling. However, I read some other sites saying that deinterlacing is a harder process than scaling, and thus claim that the 720p mode is better.

Which do you think is true?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Try them both and see what looks best for you.
What's the resolution of the TV?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Try them both and see what looks best for you.
What's the resolution of the TV?

The TV is 1080p. As for which do I think looks better, I haven't had enough time to test various channels to see which looks better. I just want your opinion.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

The TV is 1080p. As for which do I think looks better, I haven't had enough time to test various channels to see which looks better. I just want your opinion.

The DVR will deinterlace better because it has access to the vector data, but throwing away the pixels and then averaging them back in, isn't worth it "IMO".
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

The DVR will deinterlace better because it has access to the vector data, but throwing away the pixels and then averaging them back in, isn't worth it "IMO".

I've got a couple upscaling AV units and I have my DVR settings on "Native". I don't think the AV units do all that much upscaling on the DVR outputs. My Panny plasmas still say they are getting 1080i or 720p. But when I use my upscaling Sammy BD players, I get 1080p when I hit the "Info" button on my plasmas. The biggest difference I've seen using the upscaling AV units is when I plug my laptop on an HDMI cord into one of my TVs and then plug it into the upscaling AV unit. The difference in PQ is very much improved by the AV units. Looks much better than the straight HDMI to the TV.

I have tried the other options besides Native and get the same results.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

It all depends on what video chip is built into your AVR and the quality of its capability. My guess is that for high end AVR's the quality and capability of its video chip will be superior to what is built into the receiver. If that is the case for your AVR then using native pass thru and allowing the video chip in the AVR to do the processing will produce the best quality picture. YMMV.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#7 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

You cannot select 1080p mode on the DVR unless the programming is 1080p. Our AVR upconverts a 720p or 1080i signal to 1080p via HDMI.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

You cannot select 1080p mode on the DVR unless the programming is 1080p. Our AVR upconverts a 720p or 1080i signal to 1080p via HDMI.

And My TV upconverts everything to 1080p too. :confused:
The point is if you throw out half of the image [fixed 720p output] of a 1080i, to get progressive output from the DVR, you've degraded the image before you try to "upscale" it back to your TV.
I use native out of the DVR, have my TV do the scaling.
Your AVR may or may not be any better than your TV, but you're the only one that would know or tell.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

It all depends on what video chip is built into your AVR and the quality of its capability. My guess is that for high end AVR's the quality and capability of its video chip will be superior to what is built into the receiver. If that is the case for your AVR then using native pass thru and allowing the video chip in the AVR to do the processing will produce the best quality picture. YMMV.

I'll agree with that, I have little interest in music so I've never bought a very expensive AV unit. But, I'm agreeing with you without any proof, just seems logical.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Please tell us the make, model and cost of your AV receiver.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

And My TV upconverts everything to 1080p too. :confused:
The point is if you throw out half of the image [fixed 720p output] of a 1080i, to get progressive output from the DVR, you've degraded the image before you try to "upscale" it back to your TV.
I use native out of the DVR, have my TV do the scaling.
Your AVR may or may not be any better than your TV, but you're the only one that would know or tell.

I still don't see any upscaling from any of my plasmas. I've scanned the manual for the latest TV and I don't see any mention of it there.

I do agree with your comment (in red). I do think this argument, while well received, is kinda subjective. Personally, I'd rather spend all that money on a bigger TV.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

I still don't see any upscaling from any of my plasmas. I've scanned the manual for the latest TV and I don't see any mention of it there.

Rich

This may be an "understood" function.
If you have a 1080p display, it has 1920 x 1080 pixels/size.
Send it a 720p signal and what is it going to do?
The 720p is 1280 x 720, so if it doesn't scale the image, it won't fill the screen.
If it fills your whole screen, it has scaled it to 1920 x 1080.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

This may be an "understood" function.
If you have a 1080p display, it has 1920 x 1080 pixels/size.
Send it a 720p signal and what is it going to do?
The 720p is 1280 x 720, so if it doesn't scale the image, it won't fill the screen.
If it fills your whole screen, it has scaled it to 1920 x 1080.

It fills the screen on 720p on all the plasmas. Guess they do upscale. Oh goody....:lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...