Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will SD receivers work if partial upgrade to HD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iceburg501

iceburg501

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

I have search the forum and found similar answers for DirecTV.

Considering upgrading DISH NETWORK SD receivers (I have 4). I want to upgrade 2 receivers to HD and leave 2 SD (there used by my parents and they dont want re-learn how to use).

Once Dish Network upgrades my satelite will my SD receivers continue to function as they are ?

I live in Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Short answer, Yes. If they work now they will work then with the only assumption you are not going from the Western Arc to the Eastern Arc, and you presently get or can get all three satellites. (Two if Eastern Arc) There should be no reason to change Arc's since your locals are in HD on both.

Edited by tampa8, 06 January 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Basic operations of Dish receivers is pretty consistent across the model line until you get to the 922. The main extra features of the HD receivers are stretch modes for SD channels, OTA reception (optional on some), and optional use of an external drive, with the rest being in initial setup. IOW, not difficult to learn.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,696 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

If you are using Western Arc (110, 119, and 129) - there is nothing that technically would prevent you from using mixed SD and HD receivers.

If you are using Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, and 77) , however - that will mean all receivers will need to be converted to VIP models.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

If you are using Western Arc (110, 119, and 129) - there is nothing that technically would prevent you from using mixed SD and HD receivers.

If you are using Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, and 77) , however - that will mean all receivers will need to be converted to VIP models.

Do you mean if he changes to the EA? If so I did say that. But if he is on the EA now, then getting HD won't change a thing for him. The SD receivers will continue to work. Also if he does need to get the EA for some reason, (locals in HD are on both Arcs) he will most likely get the new system, which does not include 77.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

He cannot be on EA, his account would be tagged if so and his sd receivers would be removed from the account.

spam firewall