Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best versions of Windows of all-time?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Which versions of Windows were the best of all-time? (219 member(s) have cast votes)

Which versions of Windows were the best of all-time?

1. Windows 1.0 (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.46%

2. Windows 2.0 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Windows 2.1 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Windows 3.0 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Windows 3.1 (7 votes [3.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.20%

6. Windows NT 3.1 (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

7. Windows NT 3.5 (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Windows NT 3.51 (4 votes [1.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.83%

9. Windows 95 (5 votes [2.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.28%

10. Windows NT 4.0 (2 votes [0.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.91%

11. Windows 98 (17 votes [7.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.76%

12. Windows Me (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

13. Windows 2000 (10 votes [4.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.57%

14. Windows XP (60 votes [27.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.40%

15. Windows Vista (4 votes [1.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.83%

16. Windows 7 (107 votes [48.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

I didn't use all the ones in the list but ME was the only one I had substantial problems with.

Win 7, of course, will run poorly or not at all on older underpowered computers.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

7 and XP.

They were both semi revolutionary in the windows ecosystem in their respective times in my opinion.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,409 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'll put Windows 98 on the poll but that’s only because you do not have Windows 98 SE.

Those are my 2 greats, Windows 98 SE and Windows XP. I have not used Windows 7 enough to give a solid opinion on it.

#24 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I voted for Windows XP since it was way better than Windows Vista or anything older than XP. My old computer ran fine on XP but I thought that Vista would be better. I upgraded to Windows Vista when it came out because the Microsoft web site said my computer was Vista capable but when I upgraded, to Vista, it ran but was horribly slow. I had to do a major hardware upgrade to get satisfactory performance on it. I am now using Windows 7 on all my computers but it is still too early for it to get my vote.

#25 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Win 7.

The NEXT best operating system from Microsoft will be whatever comes after Win 8.

With all the 'new' stuff like "Metro" that they're putting into Win 8, I'm predicting it'll be a Vista-like disaster.

Right now, the Air Force is JUST NOW upgrading machines to Win 7. Many of these are being upgraded from XP - a lot of users didn't want Vista.

As a developer, I can tell you I'm a little sick and tired of MS constantly introducing new technologies to try and catch lightning in a bottle. Now we're supposed to throw away all our old stuff in favor of this new Metro look? A look that is, quite frankly, being FORCED on us? Those tiles look like an evolution of a 1980s concept, if you ask me. Then again I might just be rather irritated because of WinMo 7 throwing away the compatibility they'd had since the beginning - and suddenly apps that I'd developed that worked under WinCE, WinMo5 and 6 no longer work.

#26 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

The NEXT best operating system from Microsoft will be whatever comes after Win 8.

I agree. Microsoft has a track record of having every other OS release being a disaster.
Count back from Windows 7 (Good), and see if every other one was terrible.

Ill wait on Windows 9 :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Well, I'm not quite sure about the counting back, but for me it was 3.1, 98, XP (SP 2), and 7. In each case, the release "fixed" the prior release which was Microsoft's attempt to do something significantly more, embracing hardware advances.

I love 7 as it seems to have fixed most issues with Vista and it does have that nifty "wayback machine" Virtual PC XP which allows me to look back at some otherwise inaccessible files. Someone is going to have to do a lot of 'splainin' to convince me to use 8. I also am looking forward to 9.

I still believe that Beta Testers should include a significant number of households consisting of one "blue collar" working parent and three or more kids at least two of whom are under 12. When whatever you're testing works 85% of the time in those households, it's ready for public release. Just because a few part-time computer nerds like me can make it work does not make it ready for prime time.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#28 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,952 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Win 7.

With all the 'new' stuff like "Metro" that they're putting into Win 8, I'm predicting it'll be a Vista-like disaster.

Right now, the Air Force is JUST NOW upgrading machines to Win 7. Many of these are being upgraded from XP - a lot of users didn't want Vista.

As a developer, I can tell you I'm a little sick and tired of MS constantly introducing new technologies to try and catch lightning in a bottle. Now we're supposed to throw away all our old stuff in favor of this new Metro look? A look that is, quite frankly, being FORCED on us? Those tiles look like an evolution of a 1980s concept, if you ask me. Then again I might just be rather irritated because of WinMo 7 throwing away the compatibility they'd had since the beginning - and suddenly apps that I'd developed that worked under WinCE, WinMo5 and 6 no longer work.

From what I've read, it is supposed to be very easy to disable the "metro" tiles and use a Win7 type interface in Win8. I think Microsoft has learned their lessons and knows that they need to server both the home and corporate crowds, so I wouldn't discount Wiin8 yet...

#29 OFFLINE   JTAnderson

JTAnderson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

I can make it dorkier: Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is missing, and that's where networking became completely functional.

WfWG also introduced VFAT.

#30 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Without a doubt... Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Solid platform and ini files you could work with.

Pre registry and a GUI that wasn't a resource hog.

or...

OS/2

#31 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Win7. I feel sorry for those that don't have it.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#32 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

From what I've read, it is supposed to be very easy to disable the "metro" tiles and use a Win7 type interface in Win8. I think Microsoft has learned their lessons and knows that they need to server both the home and corporate crowds, so I wouldn't discount Wiin8 yet...

It's not yet. On my developer's copy I still had to edit the registry to kill Metro.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#33 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, but for me they'll have to do a lot more 'splainin' than that. A Win7 type interface on Win8 sounds like a new OS with an interface cobbled together on top of it.

Win7 has relatively quickly developed a confidence in the product within the individual consumer community. It seems to be slowly catching on in the Windows enterprise community, perhaps coupled with Sharepoint 2010. That community is still heavily committed to XP or even 2000 in a surprising number of cases I'm pretty familiar with.

IMHO, as with all new versions, Win8 will start "in the hole" with problems - it can't be avoided based on history. And it could set back what might have been a serious transition from the older versions by the corporate community.

IT folks have never been able to spend money without oversight even if it sometimes seems like it. The problem MS has now is that senior execs and their assistants everywhere have iPads - it's part of appearing very 21st Century. Using Sharepoint works just ok with the iPad.

The object lesson is IBM. IBM was the PC world in the late 1980's. Then Compaq was selling significantly more units by the mid-1990's and by 2000 so were Dell and HP. Bean-aware corporate execs with rather long stares were saying to IT folks "but I read about these cheaper PC's running Microsoft, like the Compaq I bought my kid that works great. Bring me competitive bids."

Unless Win8 represents a system with an iPad/iPhone full integration App like that promised Office App, Microsoft may find itself in the same position IBM did.

It's not hard to imagine a corporate IT world where Linux dominates the server industry and iOS and Android dominate the connected user equipment end, with Microsoft relegated to being known as the MS Office company. It could happen within a decade.

In the end, we may talk about "the PC" v Apple, but the fact is in the desktop world the real subject is Microsoft OS domination v Apple (yes, with a niche for Linux). It's whatever happens in the smart phone/tablet world that will determine how this will look a decade from now. And it may very well be the end of the desktop as we know it (something I find disconcerting).

Everything I read about Win8 looks very "me too." I'm not sure that's going to be good enough this time, compared to when Windows version 3.1 finally replaced MS-DOS.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Click around this page... :D

http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#35 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Windows XP - Here's why.
1. It saved Microsoft's desktop OS business. Not only was it salvation from ME, but it also provided a much needed safety net for businesses while MS fixed Vista with the full kernel overhaul. Remember, you still order the "downgrade to XP" until just fairly recently.
2. It was the OS that transitioned most effectively to multi-media and it led the social media explosion.
3. After 9-1/2 years, it still holds the largest market share, although it's likely to relinquish the title in 2012.

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

I would upgrade our work computers to Windows 7 (currently running XP) except there is no "upgrade" path. I would have to reinstall all the business apps, reconfigure them all to interact with each other (email, etc), and if one thing didnt work the way it used to, the boss would blow a gasket.

Peachtree would be the biggest obstacle, since the upgrades are so often, and its been so long, I dont even know if there is an original disc at work anymore. Then there is Outlook, Excel, and several other apps.

I dont know why Microsoft chose not to provide a direct XP to WIndows 7 upgrade path.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

I would upgrade our work computers to Windows 7 (currently running XP) except there is no "upgrade" path. I would have to reinstall all the business apps, reconfigure them all to interact with each other (email, etc), and if one thing didnt work the way it used to, the boss would blow a gasket.

Peachtree would be the biggest obstacle, since the upgrades are so often, and its been so long, I dont even know if there is an original disc at work anymore. Then there is Outlook, Excel, and several other apps.

I dont know why Microsoft chose not to provide a direct XP to WIndows 7 upgrade path.

That's the rub. If some elements of a fully integrated system force consideration of other options at a time when hardware is transforming how people work and when a large group of people have moved on to unintegrated hardware, then MS is staring at the potential that humbled IBM - individual players create a momentum away from the installed base.

My AV Setup

#38 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

Did you know that Windows XP (per captia) is attacked 10 times more than Windows 7. YOu'd have to be crazy to want to stay with Windows XP.

Please - if you're still on XP, please be sure you're running SP3 and update your AV software daily. And run the malicious software removal program (sent thru Windows Update) monthly.

#39 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

I voted for Windows 7 but I think the answer is actually Windows 7 for home and Windows XP for business.

#40 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

Really curious - why did you pick XP (obviously, for those that did)?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...