Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best versions of Windows of all-time?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Which versions of Windows were the best of all-time? (219 member(s) have cast votes)

Which versions of Windows were the best of all-time?

1. Windows 1.0 (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.46%

2. Windows 2.0 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Windows 2.1 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Windows 3.0 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Windows 3.1 (7 votes [3.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.20%

6. Windows NT 3.1 (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

7. Windows NT 3.5 (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Windows NT 3.51 (4 votes [1.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.83%

9. Windows 95 (5 votes [2.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.28%

10. Windows NT 4.0 (2 votes [0.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.91%

11. Windows 98 (17 votes [7.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.76%

12. Windows Me (1 votes [0.46%] - View)

13. Windows 2000 (10 votes [4.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.57%

14. Windows XP (60 votes [27.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.40%

15. Windows Vista (4 votes [1.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.83%

16. Windows 7 (107 votes [48.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I love that my opinions, which are subjective, are wrong in your eyes. And I love that you can't even bother to offer a reason. Cut and run ... I love it.

Windows 7 will mature into a great OS, I'm sure of it. However with Windows 8 being so radically different, I expect it to be the next "Vista" or "Me". Honestly, Microsoft has had a +/- release record in this century... 2000 (good), Me (bad), XP (good), Vista (bad), 7 (good)...
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

You're obviously missing the best of the best.

There you go again with your choice of adverbs...

Obviously?

I don't think so. :nono2:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#63 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

[quote name='""']

I read somewhere that about 47% of the Windows based computer use Widows XP. I have a friend hat has Windows 7. I do not lie Windows 7. To me that does not seem user friendly. Even the email application on 7 has too many options. I prefer the simpler Outlook Express

#64 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

i used windows xp for years and loved it. i also liked vista. i guess im one of the few that didnt have any problems with it at all. it was very stable and fast on my system. i used windows vista business edition since its launch and use it today on another computer. i have windows 7 professional on my main computer and it is flawless and my favorite so far.

i have also used the windows 8 preview and dont care too much for it. unless you got a touch screen i see no point in using it. i hope microsoft makes 2 versions of windows 8, one for touch screens and one for the average desktop pc. that metro UI is horrible.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#65 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

I love that my opinions, which are subjective, are wrong in your eyes. And I love that you can't even bother to offer a reason. Cut and run ... I love it.

You offered no reasons in support of your statement so I can offer no counterpoints.

As Microsoft moves closer and closer to moving their largely unknown wireless phone software to the desktop, I'm not optimistic about the result.

As a starting point (it actually began with Vista), I offer the "I know where you put it, but I moved it somewhere else" roaming feature.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#66 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

i have also used the windows 8 preview and dont care too much for it. unless you got a touch screen i see no point in using it.

This is beginning to make the rounds among those giving advice on purchasing new computers: make sure what you buy is going to work with (or includes) a touch screen.

i hope microsoft makes 2 versions of windows 8, one for touch screens and one for the average desktop pc. that metro UI is horrible.

Don't hold your breath. If Metro is to catch on, it is going to have to be the only choice. dosshell (Explorer) aside, Microsoft hasn't offered much in the way of alternatives since Windows for Workgroups.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#67 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

Windows 7 will mature into a great OS, I'm sure of it.

It is taking much longer for Win 7 to catch on than it did XP and XP is pushing 10 years old. There's lots of users still stuck with Vista for one reason or another (typically because their hardware isn't up to it).

Maturing in Microsoft terms seems to mean getting progressively slower and requiring twice the resources that it did at release.

I only hope that the development community gets tired of .net as its killing our machines.

#68 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

As a starting point (it actually began with Vista), I offer the "I know where you put it, but I moved it somewhere else" roaming feature.

:rotfl:

#69 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

[quote name='"JcT21"']i used windows xp for years and loved it. i also liked vista. i guess im one of the few that didnt have any problems with it at all. it was very stable and fast on my system. i used windows vista business edition since its launch and use it today on another computer. i have windows 7 professional on my main computer and it is flawless and my favorite so far.

i have also used the windows 8 preview and dont care too much for it. unless you got a touch screen i see no point in using it. i hope microsoft makes 2 versions of windows 8, one for touch screens and one for the average desktop pc. that metro UI is horrible.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='""']

What did you not like about Windows 8?

Where did you download the preview?

#70 OFFLINE   ghontz1

ghontz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

98SE,XP and Windows 7 64 bit.I had limited or no problems at all.I love everything about win 7,it is the most stable of all of them.

#71 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

98SE,XP and Windows 7 64 bit.I had limited or no problems at all.I love everything about win 7,it is the most stable of all of them.

I still prefer XP because it has a simpler interface. The less option spit me the better. I just sent my laptop out to have Windows 7 replaced with Windows XP.

#72 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

My current favs are Win 7 - 64 bit and XP.

But Windows 98 SE holds a special place for me as running the widest range of programs and code in it's DOS based Windows environment.

Making programs for this 98 machine was easy and produced stable executable code. :)

#73 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

What about "Bob"? :sure:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#74 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

Bob lasted about four and a half minutes...that is unless someone bought a GW2K. IIRC that was the only PC maker to bundle Bob. :grin:

Back in my Usta-B-in-IT days, we were beta testing Win95 and saw a demo of Bob. At first everyone honestly thought it was just a joke...it had to be right?!? Then we were told Microsoft would be releasing Bob soon and would retail for $100. :eek2:

PCMag (or was it PCWorld) had it in the top ten worst tech of all time. Right up there with Windows Millennium and Sony's rootkit CDs (how did anyone at Sony actually think that was a good idea). :lol:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#75 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

Bob lasted about four and a half minutes...that is unless someone bought a GW2K. IIRC that was the only PC maker to bundle Bob. :grin:

Back in my Usta-B-in-IT days, we were beta testing Win95 and saw a demo of Bob. At first everyone honestly thought it was just a joke...it had to be right?!? Then we were told Microsoft would be releasing Bob soon and would retail for $100. :eek2:

PCMag (or was it PCWorld) had it in the top ten worst tech of all time. Right up there with Windows Millennium and Sony's rootkit CDs (how did anyone at Sony actually think that was a good idea). :lol:

Mike

I STILL won't buy anything Sony - media OR electronics - from that fiasco.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#76 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

The best thing that came out of Bob was Melinda.

#77 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Bob lasted about four and a half minutes...that is unless someone bought a GW2K. IIRC that was the only PC maker to bundle Bob... :grin:

Mike

"What about Bob's" was the name of a local restaurant in McAlester, OK. I went there once with my son and his family, and have the mug to prove it. ;)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#78 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

"What about Bob's" was the name of a local restaurant in McAlester, OK. I went there once with my son and his family, and have the mug to prove it. ;)

It was also a pretty funny movie. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#79 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

It was also a pretty funny movie. :D

Mike

+1

Pretty clever of that restaurant... might have been called just "Bob's", until a bunch of folks deciding on where to go for lunch kept saying, "What about 'Bob's'?"
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...