Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 Dish HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

This is the Dish HD anticipation thread for 2012. Please discuss, speculate, and wish for new HD in this thread and not create new threads that splinter the conversation.

Below are some ground rules for this thread...

1. This is the thread to discuss new potential HD from Dish for 2012.
2. This is not the thread to discuss hardware, just channels.
3. This is not a Dish vs DirecTV thread. It doesn't matter if DirecTV does or does not have a given HD channel... there are other threads for that.
4. This is not a thread to discuss channels in dispute between Dish and another company. There are other threads for that.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Well Dish! is starting out 2012 in good form adding Epix3-382 in HD.

I can only hope that Epix Drive In-292 will go HD in the future?Soon?.;)

I thought I remembered I read somewhere that Encore was going to offer more of their channels in HD besides Encore E- 340?.Hope so.;)

#3 OFFLINE   gpollock87

gpollock87

Legend

• No PM's
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

FEARnet HD and WWE Network

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Personally, I have 99% of what I wanted - I'd like our local CW station in HD, but know that will come when the CBS O&O contract comes up (CBS owns The CW station) and will ultimately add to the cost of the package.

At some point everything will be in "HD" and it will all be called TV. Then the hassle will be over 3-D, I suppose.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

We still don't have MoreMAX HD…

#6 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

At some point everything will be in "HD" and it will all be called TV.

Pretty much. In fact, are separate forums for General and HD discussion even necessary anymore?

#7 OFFLINE   Don M

Don M

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

I would like to see all the premium movie channels that are broadcast in HD offered in HD on DISH. It would also be nice if at least one of the CW Superstation channels was offered in HD. My local CW is a sub channel of the ABC affiliate and is not available in HD OTA or otherwise.

#8 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Pretty much. In fact, are separate forums for General and HD discussion even necessary anymore?

Yes,because the last count DISH has more SD subscribers than HD subscribers.;)

#9 OFFLINE   Deke Rivers

Deke Rivers

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:00 AM

Chicagos local PBS - WTTW Channel 11

#10 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

I would like to see our Fox Sports HD channel (436) show 100% of the events which are being produced in HD
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

#11 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

I would like all of my local stations that broadcast in hd available on Dish in hd (CW, PBS, MyTV are all sd only on Dish). Every other provider in my area does this.

#12 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

I would like all of my local stations that broadcast in hd available on Dish in hd (CW, PBS, MyTV are all sd only on Dish). Every other provider in my area does this.

MCHuf:

Because this is the DISH HD wish tread,I don't know if you already have an over the air antenna up or not.If not check out www.antennaweb.org or www.tvfool.com and see if that might be an option.I do and the HD PQ is better over the air,plus with the 722k with the Dual Over The Air Tuners Module(MT2) I can record 4 programs at once(2OTA+2SAT) while watching a prerecorded program.Good Luck!:)

Also watching off a antenna is alot of subchannels!.:D

#13 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

how about adding FuelHD and The Outdoor Channel HD

#14 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

Some day our grand kids will ask, you mean you actually had to watch SD?

#15 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

I would like to see Dish match DirecTV and Cable Local station HD offereings in every market BEFORE adding any new HD channels.

Example: in my Market DirecTV has CW, PBS Iowa, PBS Nebraska all IN HD. Dish is just SD.

Many other markets have the same issue.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#16 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I would like to see Dish match DirecTV and Cable Local station HD offereings in every market BEFORE adding any new HD channels.

Example: in my Market DirecTV has CW, PBS Iowa, PBS Nebraska all IN HD. Dish is just SD.

Many other markets have the same issue.

That would be very shortsighted of Dish, and is why they don't do that. Some markets are just too small for Dish to allocate their HD space over a channel everyone can watch. Also it's sometimes not related to size at all. For instance Boston PBS is still in SD, but Hartford has it in HD. It can be because of something on the local's end.
The NY RSN's are an example of Dish deciding, only people in the NY DMA can watch games on those channels, and doing the math, the amount the RSN's there want to charge would make Dish possibly have to charge everyone more to off set the increase, so no NY RSN's.

I guess my point is there are a variety of reasons not every DMA has all their locals in HD. Just remember when you compare Dish to Direct TV and Cable, compare the cost to subscribe to them too. In most cases Dish is less.

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Or, "What's SD, Gramps?" :lol:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

Well Dish! is starting out 2012 in good form adding Epix3-382 in HD.

I can only hope that Epix Drive In-292 will go HD in the future?Soon?.;)

I thought I remembered I read somewhere that Encore was going to offer more of their channels in HD besides Encore E- 340?.Hope so.;)

I'd like the two ENCORE channels that launched last August. They're launching
two more HD channels this year. You must have STARZ to get ENCORE channels in HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

You missing my point. I said Match. Dish should Match DirecTV in local HD. DirecTV has many markets where they have all there locals in HD like the CW and PBS. Dish does not.
Its hard to sell Dish when the the other guys have all the locals in HD.
I drive around town and it is DireCTV Sat dishs installed on houses I would say 10 to One right now. Who wants SD? And who want to spend an other $50 for a Dish OTA modual plus an other $40 for an antenna.

Dish need to to add Local HDs channels for the CW and PBS before adding more HD.
I thought I read where in 2013 and 2014 the law will require it anyway, is that true. I think they have to be at 60% of markets by Feb 1s or something.

That would be very shortsighted of Dish, and is why they don't do that. Some markets are just too small for Dish to allocate their HD space over a channel everyone can watch. Also it's sometimes not related to size at all. For instance Boston PBS is still in SD, but Hartford has it in HD. It can be because of something on the local's end.
The NY RSN's are an example of Dish deciding, only people in the NY DMA can watch games on those channels, and doing the math, the amount the RSN's there want to charge would make Dish possibly have to charge everyone more to off set the increase, so no NY RSN's.

I guess my point is there are a variety of reasons not every DMA has all their locals in HD. Just remember when you compare Dish to Direct TV and Cable, compare the cost to subscribe to them too. In most cases Dish is less.

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#20 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Not only that, I watched Dish SD :eek2:

That would be very shortsighted of Dish, and is why they don't do that. Some markets are just too small for Dish to allocate their HD space over a channel everyone can watch. ...

There are very few if any markets on a ConUS beam, so filling in missing HD locals isn't depriving us of national channels. Smaller markets generally have fewer channels making it more likely they can all fit on the same spotbeam.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall