Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 Dish HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'd like the two ENCORE channels that launched last August. They're launching
two more HD channels this year. You must have STARZ to get ENCORE channels in HD.

I get EncoreHD-340,with my ATHD250package.;)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

I would love to see Dish Network add the following HD Channels for 2012.

National Basic HD Channels:
  • Outdoor Channel HD
  • IFC HD
  • Sundance Channel HD
  • Ovation HD
  • Oxygen HD
  • Fox Movie Channel HD
  • FearNet HD

RSN HD Channels:
  • Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast HD (CSS HD) (Full time HD launches Oct. 14, 2012)

Premium HD Channels:
  • Encore Action HD
  • Encore Drama HD

Edited by coolman302003, 18 September 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

More HD locals are coming. There is a threshhold next month that DISH must meet (DirecTV too) where if DISH carries one local HD channel in that market they must offer carriage to all local HD channels in that market. The current threshhold (as of February 2011) is 30% of markets complying with that agreement. In February the compliance level jumps to 60% (and in 2013 the compliance level must be 100%).

Hi James :wave:

Would this apply to a MyNetworkTV HD local channel that is only carried by one other cable provider in the area and is a sub-channel (720p) of the CBS HD affiliate... In other words does it guarantee that Dish will have to carry this channel in HD with the threshold requirement; Dish currently only carries the big four in HD in my DMA.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:59 AM

Would this apply to a MyNetworkTV HD local channel that is only carried by one other cable provider in the area and is a sub-channel (720p) of the CBS HD affiliate... In other words does it guarantee that Dish will have to carry this channel in HD with the threshold requirement; Dish currently only carries the big four in HD in my DMA.

I don't believe so. The FCC protects big four feeds that are subcarriers from having imported competition (distants) so they do count for something, but I do not believe subchannels need to be carried in HD. If I recall correctly, only the main channel of any broadcast channel needs to be carried.

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

For markets with at least one already carried in HD it means more HD. Yes, in your market you're a "loser" ... but there are more winning markets than losers.

I wouldn't consider Lubbock "smaller". More like mid-sized as it has the combination of a lot of stations but not a lot of population. Smaller markets, with less stations, could fit on one transponder. Large markets also have the issue of transponder space requirements. The trouble with the larger markets is a large population does not mean a large number of subscribers. And the threshold for carrying HD requires not only every available HD station be offered carriage (stations may refuse carriage) but that the space be set aside regardless of if each station is carried in HD or carried at all. DISH must be prepared to carry any station that converts to HD OTA as well as the ones already in HD.

It is a balancing act. I'm sure there are markets where DirecTV customers are screaming for their HD locals. Please see the DirecTV forums for more information. This is not a DISH vs DirecTV thread.

Why is MYTV considered a network? They don't have any series like Dr. OZ, Dr. Phil.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#31 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I get EncoreHD-340,with my ATHD250package.;)

Do you have STARZ? If so I'll cancel STARZ when those extra ENCORE channel go HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#32 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Do you have STARZ? If so I'll cancel STARZ when those extra ENCORE channel go HD.

No sir,I traded it for 3 months of HBO&Cinemax,when I had 3 months of Starz left to go.Now my HBO&Cinemax has expired(had to cancel online,or pay for them) I still get EncoreHD-340 because it's in the AT250's package(HD250Free I have) along with the other Encore channels in AT250.:)

Edited by Jhon69, 04 February 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

ESPN U in HD please, before college football football starts.

#34 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I want Universal Sports HD please it would make my dad alot more happy.

Thanks

#35 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I will submit a programming request form to our programming department for Universal Sports in Hd for you. Thanks.

Thanks

#36 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

I will submit a programming request form to our programming department for Universal Sports in Hd for you. Thanks.

Ray

Please put a request for QVC HD

Thanks

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 20,298 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thanks

I'm confused... I thought we already had this... I thought the rebranded "Vs" was this channel.

Today, though, I got a "Dish Perks" email from Dish that says the Universal Sports channel is coming to multi-sport "soon"...

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm confused... I thought we already had this... I thought the rebranded "Vs" was this channel.

Today, though, I got a "Dish Perks" email from Dish that says the Universal Sports channel is coming to multi-sport "soon"...

VS became NBC Sports Network (channel 151). Universal Sports is apparently testing on 402 in SD (if one believes the "USN" tag on the test channel).

CBS Sports Network is moving from 152 to 158 - which would open up 152 for Universal Sports right next to 151 NBC Sports Network.

#39 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think thats what going to happen with CBS Sports moving from 152 to 158 Universal Sports will be going to 152 only if Universal Sports broadcasts in HD which would make alot of people happy including me.

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 20,298 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

I stumbled on the CBSSports move last night... I had just replaced a broken DVR and was re-establishing my favorites list on the new one... and couldn't find the HD feed of CBS sports.

The SD was still on 152... but the HD was only available at 158.

That in conjunction with the email I saw from Dish which mentioned Universal Sports might mean we are close to seeing this one... hopefully it will get an HD feed too.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#41 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

metoo i want to see Universal Sports have a HD Feed and i think dish would pick it up also.

#42 OFFLINE   Zeke

Zeke

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

How about HD locals for the Kirksville, Mo. - Ottumwa, Ia. DMA?
KYOU 15 Fox Ottumwa, Ia. broadcasts HD.
KSHB 41 NBC Kansas City, Mo. broadcasts HD.
KTVO 3 ABC and KTVOD 33 CBS Kirksville - Ottumwa, broadcast HD, with the exception of some of their local programming.

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'd just like the correct EPG for the OTA locals I receive. But that has been a two year battle where DISH has pretty much proven that they simply don't care about accuracy in the EPG. All I get when I complain are lies at every level, from the front line CSRs all the way up to executive resolutions - they lie.

There are still two HD locals that need to be carried in my market (CW and PBS). Unless they are added in the next couple of days I suppose I'll be waiting until next year to see them.

As far as national HDs, it is past time that the core RSNs should be 24/7 HD. I know DISH doesn't have the bandwidth to carry "every game" but to be in 2012 and have no 24/7 HD RSNs (except Big 10)? Not acceptable.

I believe they are doing well in other areas. Returning Smithsonian HD will be ok with me. I wouldn't mind seeing NASA HD as being the first PI in HD. I would accept seeing QVC or TBN in HD as those channels have followers. I'm not sure about Universal Sports or RFD's new Rural TV channel being in HD.

The disputed channels, ESPNews, Disney, ABC Family, Disney XD, would be nice to see again for the same reason as Smithsonian - good channels shouldn't go away forever. Add ESPNU, the previously mentioned TBN, QVC and NASA and there would only be a few non-HD channels in AT120 ... and a couple more in AT200. Most having a similar channel already in HD (once the ones in this paragraph are added).

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 20,298 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I hate to "me too" a post... but I agree with everything James posted above me. Those are some clear-cut easy places for Dish to start with HD and setting things right.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#45 OFFLINE   oldtexan

oldtexan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I would like to see the following in HD:

The Military Channel
Fox Movie Channel
CSPAN 1
CSPAN 2

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

CSPAN???? What am I missing on CSPAN these days?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#47 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

I hate to "me too" a post... but I agree with everything James posted above me. Those are some clear-cut easy places for Dish to start with HD and setting things right.

I agree.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#48 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

CSPAN???? What am I missing on CSPAN these days?

Perhaps without a wide-screen presentation you're not seeing the far left and the far right. ;)
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#49 OFFLINE   habsfan66

habsfan66

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

VS became NBC Sports Network (channel 151). Universal Sports is apparently testing on 402 in SD (if one believes the "USN" tag on the test channel).

CBS Sports Network is moving from 152 to 158 - which would open up 152 for Universal Sports right next to 151 NBC Sports Network.

I was thinking maybe they were opening up 152 for the MLB alternate channel, to be next the to the main channel at 153. Guess not.

#50 OFFLINE   irishprince317

irishprince317

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

I would like to see the following in HD:

The Military Channel
Fox Movie Channel
CSPAN 1
CSPAN 2

Military channel HD in not avail. Launch is summer 2012

Protected By... spam firewall...And...