Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 Dish HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

I would like to see Dish match DirecTV and Cable Local station HD offereings in every market BEFORE adding any new HD channels.

More HD locals are coming. There is a threshhold next month that DISH must meet (DirecTV too) where if DISH carries one local HD channel in that market they must offer carriage to all local HD channels in that market. The current threshhold (as of February 2011) is 30% of markets complying with that agreement. In February the compliance level jumps to 60% (and in 2013 the compliance level must be 100%).

This does not help in markets where the HD feed is not broadcast or in markets where no HD stations are carried, but these thresholds will mean more HD locals in markets where HD is carried.

Some day our grand kids will ask, you mean you actually had to watch SD?

Our grandkids will consider what we call "HD" to be the "Standard Definition" ... or more likely low definition when technology moves beyond today's standards. (I'd say they would consider it "web cam" quality video, but the web cams are getting better every year as well.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

Actually that threshold means FEWER local DMA's will be HD, because if they add one or two or three stations in HD , they will very soon have to make all stations HD that transmitt in HD.

For some "smaller" markets like mine in Lubbock, TX (DMA #143) that would necessitate the carriage of 9 or 10 HD stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, MYTV, PBS, UNI and TEL + the FOX station has another channel that carries sports in HD from time to time) IN HD, that's more than one TP for HD bandwidth for a DMA of about 250 thousand.

ON top of that, Direct began carrying our locals in HD last fall - DISH WHERE ARE YOU!!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

Actually that threshold means FEWER local DMA's will be HD, because if they add one or two or three stations in HD , they will very soon have to make all stations HD that transmitt in HD.

For markets with at least one already carried in HD it means more HD. Yes, in your market you're a "loser" ... but there are more winning markets than losers.

For some "smaller" markets like mine in Lubbock, TX (DMA #143) that would necessitate the carriage of 9 or 10 HD stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, MYTV, PBS, UNI and TEL + the FOX station has another channel that carries sports in HD from time to time) IN HD, that's more than one TP for HD bandwidth for a DMA of about 250 thousand.

I wouldn't consider Lubbock "smaller". More like mid-sized as it has the combination of a lot of stations but not a lot of population. Smaller markets, with less stations, could fit on one transponder. Large markets also have the issue of transponder space requirements. The trouble with the larger markets is a large population does not mean a large number of subscribers. And the threshold for carrying HD requires not only every available HD station be offered carriage (stations may refuse carriage) but that the space be set aside regardless of if each station is carried in HD or carried at all. DISH must be prepared to carry any station that converts to HD OTA as well as the ones already in HD.

ON top of that, Direct began carrying our locals in HD last fall - DISH WHERE ARE YOU!!

It is a balancing act. I'm sure there are markets where DirecTV customers are screaming for their HD locals. Please see the DirecTV forums for more information. This is not a DISH vs DirecTV thread.

#24 OFFLINE   psdstu

psdstu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

More HD locals are coming. There is a threshhold next month that DISH must meet (DirecTV too) where if DISH carries one local HD channel in that market they must offer carriage to all local HD channels in that market. The current threshhold (as of February 2011) is 30% of markets complying with that agreement. In February the compliance level jumps to 60% (and in 2013 the compliance level must be 100%).

This does not help in markets where the HD feed is not broadcast or in markets where no HD stations are carried, but these thresholds will mean more HD locals in markets where HD is carried.

Our grandkids will consider what we call "HD" to be the "Standard Definition" ... or more likely low definition when technology moves beyond today's standards. (I'd say they would consider it "web cam" quality video, but the web cams are getting better every year as well.)

This helps explain why the Dothan AL DMA still has no local stations in HD while Direct and Comcast have and have had for a long time the locals in HD.

At onetime DISH used to provide a list of the markets they planned to add HD locals to.......... for those DMA's which currently have no locals in HD it sure seems DISH has no intention of changing that anytime soon.

What about a DMA like Panama City FL where we get ABC/NBC/FOX in HD from Panama City and our CBS (SD) comes from Dothan DMA...... if DISH is required to provide the missing CBS in HD to Panama City which comes from Dothan can DISH just provide the HD to Panama City and not Dothan?

It also paints a pretty gloomy picture of DISH not providing Dothan with any locals in HD anytime soon.

Edited by psdstu, 29 January 2012 - 12:41 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

This helps explain why the Dothan AL DMA still has no local stations in HD while Direct and Comcast have and have had for a long time the locals in HD.

It also paints a pretty gloomy picture of DISH not providing Dothan with any locals in HD anytime soon.

There are currently 9 vacant transponders on 77 (1/3rd of the US capacity) plus there is space available at 61.5 where DISH is planning a new spotbeam satellite. In other words, there is plenty of room for Eastern Arc markets to see more local HD. Dothan is a three station market. It won't stay SD forever.

#26 ONLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'd like the two ENCORE channels that launched last August. They're launching
two more HD channels this year. You must have STARZ to get ENCORE channels in HD.

I get EncoreHD-340,with my ATHD250package.;)

#27 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

I would love to see Dish Network add the following HD Channels for 2012.

National Basic HD Channels:
  • Outdoor Channel HD
  • IFC HD
  • Sundance Channel HD
  • Ovation HD
  • Oxygen HD
  • Fox Movie Channel HD
  • FearNet HD

RSN HD Channels:
  • Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast HD (CSS HD) (Full time HD launches Oct. 14, 2012)

Premium HD Channels:
  • Encore Action HD
  • Encore Drama HD

Edited by coolman302003, 18 September 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hi James :wave:

Would this apply to a MyNetworkTV HD local channel that is only carried by one other cable provider in the area and is a sub-channel (720p) of the CBS HD affiliate... In other words does it guarantee that Dish will have to carry this channel in HD with the threshold requirement; Dish currently only carries the big four in HD in my DMA.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:59 AM

Would this apply to a MyNetworkTV HD local channel that is only carried by one other cable provider in the area and is a sub-channel (720p) of the CBS HD affiliate... In other words does it guarantee that Dish will have to carry this channel in HD with the threshold requirement; Dish currently only carries the big four in HD in my DMA.

I don't believe so. The FCC protects big four feeds that are subcarriers from having imported competition (distants) so they do count for something, but I do not believe subchannels need to be carried in HD. If I recall correctly, only the main channel of any broadcast channel needs to be carried.

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

For markets with at least one already carried in HD it means more HD. Yes, in your market you're a "loser" ... but there are more winning markets than losers.

I wouldn't consider Lubbock "smaller". More like mid-sized as it has the combination of a lot of stations but not a lot of population. Smaller markets, with less stations, could fit on one transponder. Large markets also have the issue of transponder space requirements. The trouble with the larger markets is a large population does not mean a large number of subscribers. And the threshold for carrying HD requires not only every available HD station be offered carriage (stations may refuse carriage) but that the space be set aside regardless of if each station is carried in HD or carried at all. DISH must be prepared to carry any station that converts to HD OTA as well as the ones already in HD.

It is a balancing act. I'm sure there are markets where DirecTV customers are screaming for their HD locals. Please see the DirecTV forums for more information. This is not a DISH vs DirecTV thread.

Why is MYTV considered a network? They don't have any series like Dr. OZ, Dr. Phil.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#31 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I get EncoreHD-340,with my ATHD250package.;)

Do you have STARZ? If so I'll cancel STARZ when those extra ENCORE channel go HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#32 ONLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Do you have STARZ? If so I'll cancel STARZ when those extra ENCORE channel go HD.

No sir,I traded it for 3 months of HBO&Cinemax,when I had 3 months of Starz left to go.Now my HBO&Cinemax has expired(had to cancel online,or pay for them) I still get EncoreHD-340 because it's in the AT250's package(HD250Free I have) along with the other Encore channels in AT250.:)

Edited by Jhon69, 04 February 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

ESPN U in HD please, before college football football starts.

#34 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I want Universal Sports HD please it would make my dad alot more happy.

Thanks

#35 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I will submit a programming request form to our programming department for Universal Sports in Hd for you. Thanks.

Thanks

#36 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

I will submit a programming request form to our programming department for Universal Sports in Hd for you. Thanks.

Ray

Please put a request for QVC HD

Thanks

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thanks

I'm confused... I thought we already had this... I thought the rebranded "Vs" was this channel.

Today, though, I got a "Dish Perks" email from Dish that says the Universal Sports channel is coming to multi-sport "soon"...

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm confused... I thought we already had this... I thought the rebranded "Vs" was this channel.

Today, though, I got a "Dish Perks" email from Dish that says the Universal Sports channel is coming to multi-sport "soon"...

VS became NBC Sports Network (channel 151). Universal Sports is apparently testing on 402 in SD (if one believes the "USN" tag on the test channel).

CBS Sports Network is moving from 152 to 158 - which would open up 152 for Universal Sports right next to 151 NBC Sports Network.

#39 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think thats what going to happen with CBS Sports moving from 152 to 158 Universal Sports will be going to 152 only if Universal Sports broadcasts in HD which would make alot of people happy including me.

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

I stumbled on the CBSSports move last night... I had just replaced a broken DVR and was re-establishing my favorites list on the new one... and couldn't find the HD feed of CBS sports.

The SD was still on 152... but the HD was only available at 158.

That in conjunction with the email I saw from Dish which mentioned Universal Sports might mean we are close to seeing this one... hopefully it will get an HD feed too.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...