Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 Dish HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

metoo i want to see Universal Sports have a HD Feed and i think dish would pick it up also.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Zeke

Zeke

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

How about HD locals for the Kirksville, Mo. - Ottumwa, Ia. DMA?
KYOU 15 Fox Ottumwa, Ia. broadcasts HD.
KSHB 41 NBC Kansas City, Mo. broadcasts HD.
KTVO 3 ABC and KTVOD 33 CBS Kirksville - Ottumwa, broadcast HD, with the exception of some of their local programming.

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'd just like the correct EPG for the OTA locals I receive. But that has been a two year battle where DISH has pretty much proven that they simply don't care about accuracy in the EPG. All I get when I complain are lies at every level, from the front line CSRs all the way up to executive resolutions - they lie.

There are still two HD locals that need to be carried in my market (CW and PBS). Unless they are added in the next couple of days I suppose I'll be waiting until next year to see them.

As far as national HDs, it is past time that the core RSNs should be 24/7 HD. I know DISH doesn't have the bandwidth to carry "every game" but to be in 2012 and have no 24/7 HD RSNs (except Big 10)? Not acceptable.

I believe they are doing well in other areas. Returning Smithsonian HD will be ok with me. I wouldn't mind seeing NASA HD as being the first PI in HD. I would accept seeing QVC or TBN in HD as those channels have followers. I'm not sure about Universal Sports or RFD's new Rural TV channel being in HD.

The disputed channels, ESPNews, Disney, ABC Family, Disney XD, would be nice to see again for the same reason as Smithsonian - good channels shouldn't go away forever. Add ESPNU, the previously mentioned TBN, QVC and NASA and there would only be a few non-HD channels in AT120 ... and a couple more in AT200. Most having a similar channel already in HD (once the ones in this paragraph are added).

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I hate to "me too" a post... but I agree with everything James posted above me. Those are some clear-cut easy places for Dish to start with HD and setting things right.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#45 OFFLINE   oldtexan

oldtexan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I would like to see the following in HD:

The Military Channel
Fox Movie Channel
CSPAN 1
CSPAN 2

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

CSPAN???? What am I missing on CSPAN these days?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#47 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

I hate to "me too" a post... but I agree with everything James posted above me. Those are some clear-cut easy places for Dish to start with HD and setting things right.

I agree.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#48 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

CSPAN???? What am I missing on CSPAN these days?

Perhaps without a wide-screen presentation you're not seeing the far left and the far right. ;)
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#49 OFFLINE   habsfan66

habsfan66

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

VS became NBC Sports Network (channel 151). Universal Sports is apparently testing on 402 in SD (if one believes the "USN" tag on the test channel).

CBS Sports Network is moving from 152 to 158 - which would open up 152 for Universal Sports right next to 151 NBC Sports Network.

I was thinking maybe they were opening up 152 for the MLB alternate channel, to be next the to the main channel at 153. Guess not.

#50 OFFLINE   irishprince317

irishprince317

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

I would like to see the following in HD:

The Military Channel
Fox Movie Channel
CSPAN 1
CSPAN 2

Military channel HD in not avail. Launch is summer 2012

#51 OFFLINE   irishprince317

irishprince317

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

:lol:

Perhaps without a wide-screen presentation you're not seeing the far left and the far right. ;)

#52 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

BBC World
CNN International
Ion

#53 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

BBC World
CNN International
Ion

I want QVC HD
CNN Internatial

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#54 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

James, how about local HD in Rapid City 57754 ? Direct, and all the cable companies have them in HD. Just not dish. Any thoughts ?

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

James, how about local HD in Rapid City 57754 ? Direct, and all the cable companies have them in HD. Just not dish. Any thoughts ?

Anything is possible. I won't know until they are uplinked.

The good thing for cable companies is that they only have to worry about carrying one set of locals ... the ones receivable at their head end in the market. DISH is burning 38% of their capacity (Western Arc) on locals. Could you imagine a cable system where 38% of their channels were locals? In a market like Rapid City where five channels are carried by DISH (in SD) you would only have a 13 channel system. :)

Not to mention the backhauls. DISH has to get the signals they receive in each market to an uplink center in order to deliver them to anyone. Cable just has to receive the signal. At worse they have a few direct feeds from local stations ... not thousands of local channels to transmit across the country before sending them out into space and back.

DirecTV has markets that they do not serve in HD ... as well as markets that do not have SD local carriage (the last time I checked). Rapid City just happens to be one of the markets DISH needs to upgrade.

#56 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the Reply. Hopefully we can get them soon....Sports of any kind in sd just isn't the same.

#57 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

I want QVC HD
CNN Internatial

CNN Inter-one of the better news channels

#58 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

Anything is possible. I won't know until they are uplinked.

The good thing for cable companies is that they only have to worry about carrying one set of locals ... the ones receivable at their head end in the market. DISH is burning 38% of their capacity (Western Arc) on locals. Could you imagine a cable system where 38% of their channels were locals? In a market like Rapid City where five channels are carried by DISH (in SD) you would only have a 13 channel system. :)

Not to mention the backhauls. DISH has to get the signals they receive in each market to an uplink center in order to deliver them to anyone. Cable just has to receive the signal. At worse they have a few direct feeds from local stations ... not thousands of local channels to transmit across the country before sending them out into space and back.

DirecTV has markets that they do not serve in HD ... as well as markets that do not have SD local carriage (the last time I checked). Rapid City just happens to be one of the markets DISH needs to upgrade.

ADD Gulfport/Biloxi to that list of markets Dish Needs to Upgrade!! ...I know we are a SMALL DMA but Dish/ Direct both added us back in 2010. the only difference was Direct uplinked HD and Dish only lit SD ! Our local ABC -WLOX annouced today they are adding a CBS channel so that will give us 3/4 networks local and leave NBC only station coming from New Orleans, La or Mobile, Al markets.

Edited by rtd2, 08 March 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   zztinker

zztinker

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Bakersfield Ca., Dish HD yes, Direct HD NO....So, I'm going with dish after March 15 with the hopper......

#60 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

If you have any questions about our services or equipment, please let me know. Thanks.

Bakersfield Ca., Dish HD yes, Direct HD NO....So, I'm going with dish after March 15 with the hopper......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...