Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2012 Dish HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

We have been with Dish for 13 months now and wonder why they only broadcast RSN's in HD when it's a live game. We had Directv previously and about all the sports channels are in HD all the time. Does Dish not have the bandwidth to do this?

Capacity is improving (basically the same bandwidth with more channels on each transponder). But they still don't have enough to do 24x7 RSNs plus alts plus any new channels ... and with more channels wanting HD carriage DISH could end up losing channels when renewals come up if they cannot offer a HD channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Question..
I'm thinking of switching from Directv to Dish and was told the HD Quality is good at Dish but not quite as sharp as Directv.. Some refer the quality of DISH as HD Lite and Directv having full 1080i.. Thoughts and Experiences???.. I'm sure this has been talked to death in the past, but considering this is a DISH HD Thread, I thought I'd ask.. Thank you...

#103 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Talked to death and a tempest in a teapot. It's really not a bad thing.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#104 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Question..
I'm thinking of switching from Directv to Dish and was told the HD Quality is good at Dish but not quite as sharp as Directv.. Some refer the quality of DISH as HD Lite and Directv having full 1080i.. Thoughts and Experiences???.. I'm sure this has been talked to death in the past, but considering this is a DISH HD Thread, I thought I'd ask.. Thank you...

Well if you want more basic HD channels and don't really care about HD sports channels or HD Premium channels and want cheaper programming prices.

If you would like channel logos in the guide(EPG) the ability to sling the program your watching to your computer ect.(needs Sling Adaptor) then the DISH Hopper whole house HDDVR system is what you need.Good Luck!:)

P.S. I sit 10' away from my 55" HDTV and Dish's HD channels look good enough for me.;)

#105 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

I consider myself an HD snob. I will not watch anything that is not in HD. I was with Direct for 15 until this past July. I was like you...very afraid to come over due to picture quality issues I had heard about.

Well, don't worry any more about that. I sit 12 feet from my 60" plasma. To me the HD picture using the Hopper is BETTER than Direct. I never expected that! Don't know why it would be better, but to my eyes it is.

Plus there are so many other advantages of the Hopper/Joey system that have been talked about a lot. You also get Sirius/XM back!

So if you're thinking of Hopping over (couldn't resist!!!), come on. You will not regret it.

#106 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I consider myself an HD snob. I will not watch anything that is not in HD. I was with Direct for 15 until this past July. I was like you...very afraid to come over due to picture quality issues I had heard about.

Well, don't worry any more about that. I sit 12 feet from my 60" plasma. To me the HD picture using the Hopper is BETTER than Direct. I never expected that! Don't know why it would be better, but to my eyes it is.

Plus there are so many other advantages of the Hopper/Joey system that have been talked about a lot. You also get Sirius/XM back!

So if you're thinking of Hopping over (couldn't resist!!!), come on. You will not regret it.

Thank you.. I did today with an install tomorrow.. Very excited to watch Pac12 in Hd on the Hopper

#107 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

We are glad to have you as a DISH customer. We are here to answer your questions and concerns. Thanks.

Thank you.. I did today with an install tomorrow.. Very excited to watch Pac12 in Hd on the Hopper

#108 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I will submit a request for QVC in HD for you. Thanks.

Do you know when all of the ENCORE channels will be in HD on Dish?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#109 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I think it has been a couple of years... but I think I remember that QVCHD was reportedly uplinked for testing a couple of years back, but never materialized as a channel on Dish.

You're correct it was uplinked at one time.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#110 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Question..

The HD on Dish is sharp & crisp!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#111 OFFLINE   Deke Rivers

Deke Rivers

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

when is my local PBS going HD? WTTW in Chicago?

#112 OFFLINE   Singe0255

Singe0255

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Haven't found the details elsewhere, does Dish have HD Locals in the Medford, OR market?

#113 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Haven't found the details elsewhere, does Dish have HD Locals in the Medford, OR market?

Yes.

5-00 KOBI MEDFORD, OR (NBC) - HD
8-00 KSYS MEDFORD, OR (PBS) - HD
10-00 KTVL MEDFORD, OR (CBS) - HD
11-00 KTVLD MEDFORD, OR (CW) - SD
12-00 KDRV MEDFORD, OR (ABC) - HD
26-00 KMVU MEDFORD, OR (FOX) - HD
30-00 KBLN GRANTS PASS, OR - SD
48-00 KFBI MEDFORD, OR - SD

#114 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

so we the following hd channels are up in testing WE,Fuse,sundance,IFC all of them in HD so does that mean that dish will be out of room for the rest of the year?or will the new satellite

#115 OFFLINE   Bobmu

Bobmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Does DISH have any plans to carry ESPNU in HD? Many of the best college basketball games are scheduled for this channel!

#116 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

And another year comes to a close... maybe next year will be the year!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...