Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade receiver?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Have an HR20 that is 5 years old now. Been running very slow no matter what command is given. Have reset, unplugged etc still nothing. Called CS and went through all the BS steps.

Ended up wanting me to reset everything to where all my recordings are erased. I said I'd call back.

Now, I've had the protection plan for 5 or 6 years now. I feel this rep was doing everything she could to keep from sending a new one out. What should I do to get a new one?

I'd like to get one of the newest models out there to take advantage of the newer technology but refuse to pay $99 for a new model upgrade.

After being a customer for over 10 years, paying the protection plan and having the same model for 5 years, shouldn't I at least be eligible for a free upgrade?

What's the best way to go about this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Keep calling until you get a better offer, or say CANCEL at the first two automated prompts which will connect you to the retention department, and plead your case.

Since you have the protection plan, just tell them you want a service call. THat would be the best. Then you can face to face explain to the tech, who probably would be in a better position to get you a new receiver. All DirecTv will do is mail you another HR20 more than likely.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Keep calling until you get a better offer, or say CANCEL at the first two automated prompts which will connect you to the retention department, and plead your case.

Since you have the protection plan, just tell them you want a service call. THat would be the best. Then you can face to face explain to the tech, who probably would be in a better position to get you a new receiver. All DirecTv will do is mail you another HR20 more than likely.

Ok, maybe I'll just go the wanting a new model upgrade route. Even if the slow response issue was fixed or a new 20 was sent, I want a new model that is capable of displaying the new guide format I received an email about from dtv.

About a year ago I was solicited for an upgrade but declined at the time because I didn't see any benefits.

You think that's worth a shot?

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

Ok, maybe I'll just go the wanting a new model upgrade route. Even if the slow response issue was fixed or a new 20 was sent, I want a new model that is capable of displaying the new guide format I received an email about from dtv.

About a year ago I was solicited for an upgrade but declined at the time because I didn't see any benefits.

I can tell you that the HR20 will display the new guide format just fine. I've got a HR20-100 sitting in my living room humming along and have had the new guide for about a month now.

Edited by jodyguercio, 13 January 2012 - 08:14 AM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#5 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

I can tell you that the HR20 will display the new guide format just fine. I've got a HR20-100 sitting in my living room humming alond and have had the new guide for about a month now.

No kidding? The email says that the 20 will not. So I still have the old guide, what do I need to do?

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yea, well I was guessing, perhaps incorrectly, that your unit was failing and was causing your slowdown issues. As the above poster noted, you WILL get the new GUI that will speed up the HR20. And, the HR20 is the second fastest box, despite being the oldest. Only the HR24 is faster. I would wait for the new GUI, and then decide, since after February, the new HR34 5 tuner model will be available to customers (think pimped out HR24). If I was going to renew my 2 yr contract for an upgrade, that would be the box to hold out for.

Now, if you want 3D and have a 3D tv, they will replace the HR20, since it cannot do 3D, however, the box they send you will likely be even slower.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

No kidding? The email says that the 20 will not. So I still have the old guide, what do I need to do?

The H20 will not. The HR20 will.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

It's the H20 that is not getting the HDGUI. The HR20 will.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=199359

It's a long thread but in there some where is the roll out schedule. When your DMA is scheduled to receive it you will.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#10 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

The H20 will not. The HR20 will.

It's the H20 that is not getting the HDGUI. The HR20 will.

Ok maybe I'm confused then. I do have an HR20 and thought this new guide was already out and since I don't have it I assumed I was left out due to old equipment.

Maybe the best thing to do is wait for the new model being released in February that the other poster mentioned. Give CS a call and request a free upgrade due to being s long time customer with a 5 year old tuner.

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

Ok maybe I'm confused then. I do have an HR20 and thought this new guide was already out and since I don't have it I assumed I was left out due to old equipment.

Maybe the best thing to do is wait for the new model being released in February that the other poster mentioned. Give CS a call and request a free upgrade due to being s long time customer with a 5 year old tuner.

The HDGUI rollout is not finish. It slightly past the mid-point.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#12 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

The HDGUI rollout is not finish. It slightly past the mid-point.

Ok man I appreciate it.

By the way, if I do ask for an upgrade from what I currently have, I assume the choice isn't mine. What would they send?

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Ok man I appreciate it.

By the way, if I do ask for an upgrade from what I currently have, I assume the choice isn't mine. What would they send?

Whatever they have, but in the case of an HR20, since it has an OTA tuner, they try to replace it with another HR20. If they dont have any, you get whatever is at the top of the stack.

#14 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Ok man I appreciate it.

That's a crap shoot.

But asking the office to send and not install is almost a guarantee that you'll get an old refurbish box. Now with an installer delivering and installing one, the odds of getting a HR24 has increase because installers don't like going back to a job because you're having new issue with a refurbish box.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#15 OFFLINE   ron mexico75

ron mexico75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Whatever they have, but in the case of an HR20, since it has an OTA tuner, they try to replace it with another HR20. If they dont have any, you get whatever is at the top of the stack.

Ok thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...