Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Switching from R10 to R16-500
Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:12 PM
Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:51 PM
Not much difference between the R10 and R16’s. Let me see what I can remember.
- The R10 has a 30-minute live TV buffer, the R16 has 90 minutes.
- No dual live buffers on the R16, (the HDDVR’s have this as an on-demand feature but the R16’s do not.)
- Gain caller ID (the R10 does not have this)
- Gain DIRECTV interactive features. (Things like local weather conditions on the Weather Channel and Game Lounge).
- Record around 100 hours of programming Vs. the R10’s 70.
- No phone line required for software updates, the R16 gets them via satellite.
- No wish list recordings, but the R16 will do series links (same as the TiVo season pass).
Edited by Draconis, 07 January 2012 - 08:00 PM.
Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:03 PM
Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:27 PM
The fee changes from the TiVo DVR fee to the R15 DVR fee (which is the same price).
As for installing one, the R16 supports legacy installations (only a few of the HD IRD’s are SWM-only.) So you should be able to use your current setup.
Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:50 AM
I owned an R10 for a little while, but actually started out with an R15 (much the same as an R16) first, so I became used to the DirecTV UI before the Tivo UI. I won't say either is necessarily better or worse than the other, but they are different. Just want to make sure you are aware of that.
Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:21 PM
Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:18 PM
As to moving content off the old R10 to another DVR, absolutely not to a DIRECTV branded DVR. Maybe to another Tivo based unit, but I'm not familiar enough to give any details. You might ask that question at www.tivocommunity.com
Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:06 PM