Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installing an Outdoor Antenna 2012

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

As many of you know, I have a new HDTV. Right now, I don't have a receiver hooked up, so I'm relying on an indoor antenna. And, I found some sub-channels that are not carried by DirecTV that have some older programming such as:
  • KCRA 3.2 - MoreTV
  • KXTV 10.2 - LiveWell
  • KSPX 29.2 - qubo
  • KSPC 29.3 - ion Life
  • KTXL 40.2 - Antenna TV
  • KQCA 58.2 - ThisTV
Now, the catch. Two of the local channels broadcast on VHF (KVIE on 9, KXTV on 10), so I would need a UHF/VHF Antenna. I also ran a TVFool Analysis of my location. Any suggestions on a good outdoor antenna?

Attached Thumbnails

• Radar-All-Holtz.png

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

Antennas Direct C4

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Yes, that would be a pretty sweet antenna, except that Sacramento has two VHF-Hi channels. :(
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#4 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

The CM3679 at Solid Signal seems good enough to a little overkill for your area.

I use a CM2016 (good up to 35 miles for both VHF & UHF?) in my attic but I'm only 13-15 miles away from the transmitters vs your 34 or so.

Edited by dettxw, 10 January 2012 - 05:38 PM.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yes, that would be a pretty sweet antenna, except that Sacramento has two VHF-Hi channels. :(

Check out the Winegard HD7694P Platinum HD Series Antenna, or one of its bigger brothers. It is an old fashioned time tested log periodic vhf/yagi uhf design, but without the huge low band vhf elements you probably dont need unless you are trying to get those low band-low power analogs.

A channel master 4228 or similar multiple bow tie has some reception on vhf-hi, and added a 18" "whisker" to the feedpoint improves upon that quite a bit.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Low-band elements are also good (excellent?) for FM radio broadcasts.
And, you DO know that HD Radio has sub-channels, too (on the FM stations)? :)

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Prior to the digital transition, there were two stations that were broadcasting on VHF-Lo: KCRA-3 (NBC) and KVIE-6 (PBS). KCRA is now on UHF-35, while KVIE is now on VHF-Hi 9. So, no VHF-Lo needed, but VHF-hi is for ABC and PBS.

#8 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

Try this one from Antennas Direct - it's new and covers both VHF and UHF in a small package. I have a Clearstream2 (UHF only version) mounted about 10 ft. above the ground and am pulling in stations from quite a distance.

http://www.antennasd...-VHF-Combo.html

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Nice antenna, and it's definitely on my wish list now. I figure that it is just a matter of time before my DMA experiences a retrans dispute with a local station, and it's good to have a backup in place.

#10 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,384 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

The Channel Master 3016 is a proven design that has been around for a very long time.

Bears an eerie resemblance to the 1976 Radio Shack Color Supreme VU-90.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

I still wish I could find a solution for Philadelphia's VHF-Lo and Hi stations. Can't get onto my roof to get the antenna where it needs to be.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,384 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

Can't get onto my roof to get the antenna where it needs to be.

Find someone who can. Nobody said you can't spend a little money on getting good OTA signal.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall