Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDTVs: Now Made in America

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

From KXTV10:

HDTVs: Now Made in America

TV owners can soon see the words "Made in America" on their television sets once again as Element Electronics has announced the grand opening and initial production of its new flat screen TV factory in Detroit, Michigan. With production scheduled to begin in March 2012, Element Electronics will be the only TV company assembling TV's in the United States.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

I saw mentioned on a commercial during a football game where Vizio was American, but I could find no references to back up that claim.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

I hope they are really good tv's because they may be the most expensive tvs to come out. Let's face it, compared to many parts of the world, our labor costs are outrageous in comparison making us uncompetitive in the world market place where labor is involved in the production of good or services.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I also thought Vizio was made in USA.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

I hope they are really good tv's because they may be the most expensive tvs to come out. Let's face it, compared to many parts of the world, our labor costs are outrageous in comparison making us uncompetitive in the world market place where labor is involved in the production of good or services.

Well, with the current unemployment rates, especially in the midwest where this company is located, I doubt they will have problems finding employees willing to work for less than union wages. Seems to be working out for the auto makers opening plants in Tennessee and other states.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

I also thought Vizio was made in USA.

After doing some research on the web, the best answer I can come up with is that Vizio is an American company, with offices, and all engineering stuff in California, however, they actually have their TVs built in China by various other manufacturers to their specifications.

So basically, I would say they are made in China by an American company.

#7 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,433 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Buy American! :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

I hope they have a nice selection of TV's

JACK,

#8 OFFLINE   chick3112215

chick3112215

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Why should our middle class go backwards. Not to be political but if the moron globalists on both sides of the politcal aisle in this country would stop all the free trade stuff and put tarriffs on imports so they cost more than American made stuff we would not have to send money and job to foreign countries.... We should get out of the W.T.O. aswell. And if we Americans quit being so cheap and only bought American made stuff also but that is what happens when everyoneworrys about the price of everything and the cost of nothing.

#9 OFFLINE   chick3112215

chick3112215

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Well, with the current unemployment rates, especially in the midwest where this company is located, I doubt they will have problems finding employees willing to work for less than union wages. Seems to be working out for the auto makers opening plants in Tennessee and other states.

There again why weaken our middle class??? :nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

After doing some research on the web, the best answer I can come up with is that Vizio is an American company, with offices, and all engineering stuff in California, however, they actually have their TVs built in China by various other manufacturers to their specifications.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected the first time I saw that ad a few days ago. Anyone remember Emerson? :sure:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   chick3112215

chick3112215

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Buy American! :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

I hope they have a nice selection of TV's

+1

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Why should our middle class go backwards. Not to be political but if the moron globalists on both sides of the politcal aisle in thjis country would stop all the free trade stuff and put tarriffs on imports so they cost more than American made stuff we would not have to send money and job to foreign countries.... We should get out of the W.T.O. aswell. And if we Americans quit being so cheap and only bought American made stuff also but that is what happens when everyoneworrys about the price of everything and the cost of nothing.

That kinda flies in the face of standard and sound economic theory as well as practice. We throw up prohibitive tariffs, and everyone WE sell to does the same. So global economies are no longer global. Our exports=0.

Now that American companies have a monopoly or near monopoly, how long do you think it'd take them to raise prices..... a whole lot??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Other than agriculture and Hollywood, what are the main USA exports these days?

Nevermind, I found the answer: http://www.tradingec...-states/exports

Not as bad looking as I expected.

#14 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,494 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Vizio also has tech support and sales staff in South Dakota, according to their web site. My 42 inch Vizio 3DTV was assembled in Mexico.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#15 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Element tvs I believe I have seen them at Walmart. With many other off brand names. Hisense etc.

#16 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Although Vizio is an American owned and operated company, they outsource their sets for manufactuiring and assembly.

Apple is the same way for their products.

#17 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

I've come across quite a few Element LCD's in the field, 37" to 46" varieties. In comparison to some similarly priced HD displays, I was very underwhelmed with the HD picture quality and the SD quality was down right horrible. YMMV

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

If you have seen them in the field, either the sets you saw were another "element" made elsewhere, or the article was wrong in saying ..soon to be made in America..

Maybe there are two "elements"? Or is the article that far behind?

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

If you have seen them in the field, either the sets you saw were another "element" made elsewhere, or the article was wrong in saying ..soon to be made in America..

Maybe there are two "elements"? Or is the article that far behind?

Or maybe they were making their TV's somewhere else, and they're soon to be made in America.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#20 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Don't know where they were made, only that they were made by Element. Been seeing them for a couple of years, maybe longer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...