Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDTVs: Now Made in America

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Don't know where they were made, only that they were made by Element. Been seeing them for a couple of years, maybe longer.

I think that was the old Circuit City house brand made overseas. OK, went the their website. They lists several TVs in various catagories, then have a separate catagory for "Assembled in Detroit" with nothing listed, so maybe they are currently Chinese and moving to America for their assembly. Apparently the same company that sells the TV's in WalMart.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,366 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Although Vizio is an American owned and operated company, they outsource their sets for manufactuiring and assembly.

Apple is the same way for their products.

No!! Macs are made in garages in Silicon Valley! And used in Silicone valley for video editing........:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

After doing some research on the web, the best answer I can come up with is that Vizio is an American company, with offices, and all engineering stuff in California, however, they actually have their TVs built in China by various other manufacturers to their specifications.

So basically, I would say they are made in China by an American company.

My understanding is that though they have an office in America, they are actually a Korean company...

Not that it matters to me... :rolleyes:

~Alan

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

Its all rather moot, since most all the parts are still going to come from overseas. I dont think there are any flat panel manufacturers in the USA, unless they plan to make their own panels in Detroit too.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

Other than agriculture and Hollywood, what are the main USA exports these days?

Nevermind, I found the answer: http://www.tradingec...-states/exports

Not as bad looking as I expected.

Part of the numbers are american companies sending it to other countries in which it is processed and then shipped back as an import. Our other major exports are oil with other raw materials and military hardware with training.

#26 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I also thought Vizio was made in USA.

My Vizio 55" 240Hz LED/LCD HDTV/w Internet Apps(manufactured the 9th week of 2011,info supplied through my 722k's HDMI Test,Info 2) says on the back"Assembled in Mexico".

Also on the back label,Vizio,39Tesla,Irvine,CA.92618-USA

#27 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

My understanding is that though they have an office in America, they are actually a Korean company...

Not that it matters to me... :rolleyes:

~Alan

I hope so as I drive a Hyundai Entourage 2007.Great minivan,even greater warranty,60K bumper to bumper,100K powertrain.:D

Now I have a Vizio HDTV,I'm staying the course.;)

#28 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Buy American! :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

I hope they have a nice selection of TV's

Being on a fixed income,every dollar counts,sorry.

Oh they do,and cheaper priced,but so far not cheaper quality,very satisfied.:D

#29 OFFLINE   dudester

dudester

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Being on a fixed income,every dollar counts,sorry.

Oh they do,and cheaper priced,but so far not cheaper quality,very satisfied.:D

I wonder how it can be cheaper? Oh thats right, the USA got rid of slave labor. Until the rest of the world catches up, you'll never be able to compete with slave labor, period!

#30 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Well,
I know I read somewhere that supporters want to introduce legislation in Michigan to change that state to a "right to work" state.

Here in Pa., we lost a lot of jobs to southern "right to work" states, [ that is if they weren't sent overseas ]

So, if that happens [ I realy doubt it, tho] it'll be cheaper labor in Michigan.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...