Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Masterpiece Classic's Downton Abbey Season 2 starts tonight

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,381 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

For those who watched Season 1, this is "a much anticipated event." While Brit critics were a bit hard on the writing this second season, it had high ratings in Great Britain and the Christmas special episode, which we will see as the last episode this season, had the highest ratings for the night despite serious competition (British TV and holidays are a bit different from the U.S.).

Whatever weaknesses in the writing, the WWI time setting and the Spanish Flu make for great drama. And the cast which includes Elizabeth McGovern and Maggie Smith among other terrific, but lesser known in U.S., actors is great.

In one sense, it's simply a soap. But in reality it is great TV with a relatively chaste romantic storyline.

And the fact that it's great TV with high production values is why it received 11 Emmy nominations last year and won for
  • Outstanding Miniseries or Made for Television Movie,
  • Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special (Julian Fellowes),
  • Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special (Brian Percival),
  • Outstanding Cinematography for a Miniseries or Movie (David Katznelson),
  • Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie (Maggie Smith), and
  • Outstanding Costumes for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special (Susannah Buxton and Caroline McCall).
Oh, and it has been renewed by ITV for a third season.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

I missed first season but, did get caught up this last month while it was repeated on PBS.Already watched the the first installment of second season last night my wife and I both enjoyed it.It is no wonder it received many awards it is a feast for the eyes as well for the brain with the stunning scenery and the great cast.

#3 ONLINE   khark

khark

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

What channel is this on? I did a search and could not find it.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

What channel is this on? I did a search and could not find it.

PBS

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,381 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

We too enjoyed the first episode of this season. So far I'd say the Brit critics are idiots and the Brit audience gets it.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

http://www.newyorker...ing-me-out.html

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,381 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

http://www.newyorker...ing-me-out.html

!rolling

Thanks for sharing that!

My AV Setup

#8 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

We just started wayching this show a few days ago. Thanks to Amazon Prime, we're watching the first season via stream on our TV at no charge.

We love it so much that I went on Amazon and looked for season 2. The streaming is $2.99/episode for 9 episodes. That's bsically $27. SO I bought the BluRay DVDs for $24.99. As a bonus, Amazon gave us access to season 2 via streaming. SO do I return the BluRays after streaming? Ethically I shouldn't...maybe I'll just start lending it out.

It's great to see a show that relies on good plot, good writing, and good acting. No special effects, although most peoples teeth (especially in England) are too good.

#9 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

I have watched both seasons from Blu Ray, since I wanted to see it in the original BBC production and not the PBS recut.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,381 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

I am putting a copy of this post here because those of you who watch "Downton" will have a chance to watch something you might like next Saturday and Sunday even though it's on ABC :

The thread subject show should have been a PBS Masterpiece series presented over two Sunday nights. ABC adds nothing to the credibility of the production, adds advertising, and scheduled it in a really goofy way.

This is not, I repeat not a Hollywood production. It is an IFC production written by Julian Fellowes, the creator and writer of "Downton Abbey." It has more in common with "Upstairs, Downstairs" than James Cameron’s Hollywood version of the story.

Fellowes explained his viewpoint:

“They talk about the perfect storm now but this is the perfect disaster. This one ship holds every element of a self-confident society that was headed for a smash-up (in the First World War, two years later).”

Though each episode will include all the characters in every episode, each episode will give us the view from a different economic class. At the beginning of each episode the characters have no idea of the fate that awaits them and at the end of each episode the ship will start sinking.

The creator and producer of this version of the story, Nigel Stafford-Clark, explains:

“We were the most powerful nation on earth, we had been for about 50 years by that point, there will probably never be a nation as unchallenged as we were, and we saw no reason why that shouldn’t continue for ever.

“But we were sailing towards the First World War as obliviously as the Titanic was sailing towards its iceberg. It just felt like it was a real chance to do a portrait of a whole society at a particular moment, just before it vanished forever....

“You’ve got the whole class system, which at that point was the bedrock of Britain’s stability, literally encased in steel. It’s the perfect setting.”

This isn't two star-crossed lovers standing on the prow of a ship while Celine Dion sings.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,535 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Looks like season 3 is off to a great ratings start, and season 4 is in production.

http://www.nytimes.c...ntemail1=y&_r=0
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

I've already seen the entire season 3 as it aired on ITV. Great show. I won't spoil it by telling you what happens. You can do that yourself using your favorite search engine.

#13 OFFLINE   Virginian

Virginian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Neither will I.

Show creators didn't have courage to end show in the season 2.

Almost all plot lines in the season 3 are contrived, boring and sometimes absolutely unrealistic.

#14 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I've already seen the entire season 3 as it aired on ITV. Great show. I won't spoil it by telling you what happens. You can do that yourself using your favorite search engine.

Can you link where you went to see season 3?

Also, Phrelin,
Last season it was shown twice on Sunday night, I follow the good wife at nine, then wait till 1:00 AM to watch "Downton".
What happened? Is it just my local pbs? There was only one showing on Sunday [ 13th] and I missed it! What the h**l?

No way to record. I've got a 222k.

#15 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I am putting a copy of this post here because those of you who watch "Downton" will have a chance to watch something you might like next Saturday and Sunday even though it's on ABC :

Did you watch Encore's " Titanic, Blood and Steel"? [ 12 episodes]

I thought it was very good.

#16 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

@satcrazy. I watched it live on ITV 1. The season finale is here but it is geoblocked in the USA.

http://player.stv.tv...012-12-25-2045/

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,381 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Can you link where you went to see season 3?

Also, Phrelin,
Last season it was shown twice on Sunday night, I follow the good wife at nine, then wait till 1:00 AM to watch "Downton".
What happened? Is it just my local pbs? There was only one showing on Sunday [ 13th] and I missed it! What the h**l?

No way to record. I've got a 222k.

Can't help you. KQED here in the Bay Area DMA runs it a second time in the middle of the night, but only once during prime time.

My AV Setup

#18 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

@satcrazy. I watched it live on ITV 1. The season finale is here but it is geoblocked in the USA.

http://player.stv.tv...012-12-25-2045/

Thanks. UK only.

Ummm..
Who is your avatar?

#19 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Season 3 and the 2012 Christmas special are available on Usenet if you know how and where to look.

#20 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I never considered watching DA in the past, I feared it would have been boring. Then I read the record breaking viewership for the start of season 3 and became intrigued. So I watched seasons 1 and 2 via Amazon Prime and became hooked and now getting caught up using Comcast On demand for season 3.

This series is ruthless with all the backstabbing and the friendship that O'Brien and Thomas once had is coming hopefully to an epic showdown :)

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

spam firewall