Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

when I change channels in the router, the clients have always adjusted to the change without needing to do anything.
25-30 dB difference should be enough I would think.

I reset my router using the reset button and then positioned it vertically to try to increase airflow. I also went in and moved the wifi setting off automatic and changed the channel to 2 while also setting for auto 20-40 MHz. This seemed to make the wifi computers browse a little quicker while also holding the internet connection better and resolving (at least for the moment) some video stuttering when running video through it with wifi MRV. InSSIDer showed me that where the router was originally with the channels on ch 6, there were about three other networks nearby that were using the same channels. Plus, my neighbor was using ch 8. So I set to ch 3 and will see how long it lasts.

ANd I found a firmware upgrade on the Cisco Linksys site which also may help things a bit...

Thanks again.

Edited by gphvid, 01 April 2012 - 02:34 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

VOS when terminating RG-6 Quad Shield does the white foam pice need to come almost all the way through the barrel or is it fine if their is air around the wire before it inserts into something? Do i need to remove foil or not or can a layer of foil and maybe one of the layer of braids go inside the barrel?

#223 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

VOS when terminating RG-6 Quad Shield does the white foam pice need to come almost all the way through the barrel or is it fine if their is air around the wire before it inserts into something? Do i need to remove foil or not or can a layer of foil and maybe one of the layer of braids go inside the barrel?

All coax should have the dielectric flush with the mating plane of the connector.
The foil should also reach this same plane.
The braid should also reach to the end.
RG6 QS require the right connectors because of the larger outer diameter of the added foil and braid layers.

By not extending the dielectric and the foil/braid, to the end, you are changing the impedance for this short length of the line. While it may still work, it may also cause problems at some frequency, since the impact of this impedance change depends on where in the wavelength it occurs.
A.K.A VOS

#224 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

VOS, I tried some searches but could not find an answer to...
"Can I daisy-chain a HR20-100 via CAT-5 that does not have its own DECA to a HR21-200 that does have a DECA?"
I have a SWM8 connected to 4 SWM units already: HR24, HR22, HR21, and HR20-700. So I have my 8 tuners used up. I used to have an HR10 hooked up to 2 legacy ports in the same room as the HR21; since it was not networkable, the 8 tuner limit wasn't an issue. I was thinking that I could save a DECA by connecting the HR20-100 directly to the 2nd CAT-5 port on the HR21, and while the HR20 would not be able to tune HD channels (except OTA) it could play shows recorded on the other 4 units. Is this possible? I do have a few routers lying around unused that could be injected if necessary. Thanks for your help and sorry if this has already been asked.

#225 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thank you for the quick reply yes I think my current ones are jacked up that I am using on two receivers I did them myself I've just dealt with it for a while. I am attempting to hook up the Comcast (to my TV with the coax jack next the one used for DirecTV) to see if they offer the CW in QAM since I have basic cable with the internet

You get the copper at the end then pull the black cover off a little further more and then just pull back the first layer of braids? You can leave the foil, braids, foil interacts with the dielectric as long as they are cut off and not touching the copper core at all?

I think I have the right tools and you can see my epic fail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#226 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

VOS, I tried some searches but could not find an answer to...
"Can I daisy-chain a HR20-100 via CAT-5 that does not have its own DECA to a HR21-200 that does have a DECA?"
I have a SWM8 connected to 4 SWM units already: HR24, HR22, HR21, and HR20-700. So I have my 8 tuners used up. I used to have an HR10 hooked up to 2 legacy ports in the same room as the HR21; since it was not networkable, the 8 tuner limit wasn't an issue. I was thinking that I could save a DECA by connecting the HR20-100 directly to the 2nd CAT-5 port on the HR21, and while the HR20 would not be able to tune HD channels (except OTA) it could play shows recorded on the other 4 units. Is this possible? I do have a few routers lying around unused that could be injected if necessary. Thanks for your help and sorry if this has already been asked.

I see what you're wanting to do, but the weak point is used the second ethernet port of the HR21.
Instead use an external switch, where the DECA connects to it, the HR21, and the HR20. While still not a supported method, it stays away from the known issues of using the second port of the DVRs [which as since been removed from newer models].
A.K.A VOS

#227 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Instead use an external switch, where the DECA connects to it, the HR21, and the HR20.

Again, sorry for this dumb question: can I substitute a wireless router for the switch? Obviously I will disable the radio. And what IP addresses should I use? I'm currently using static IPs in the DECA cloud.

Let me also say you rock, VOS.

#228 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thank you for the quick reply yes I think my current ones are jacked up that I am using on two receivers I did them myself I've just dealt with it for a while. I am attempting to hook up the Comcast (to my TV with the coax jack next the one used for DirecTV) to see if they offer the CW in QAM since I have basic cable with the internet

While not the "be all end all":
nKEvciE5G7c

He isn't dealing with quad shielding, and does fold over the braid, but it still contacts the connector well and doesn't protrude out the back of the connector.

Do you see the tool he's using that I didn't see with yours?

For a look at Quad shielded coax, my friend at Solidsignal has put together a fairly good article: http://forums.solids...-Shielded-Cable

With a bit more googling, here's one for Quad shielding:

tybDC10C8hw

Edited by veryoldschool, 02 April 2012 - 01:40 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#229 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Again, sorry for this dumb question: can I substitute a wireless router for the switch? Obviously I will disable the radio. And what IP addresses should I use? I'm currently using static IPs in the DECA cloud.

Let me also say you rock, VOS.

You might be able to use a router "but" only the switch part of it, but you'll need to turn off/disable so much of the router.

Check Newegg as they've had switches for around $10, which just make things so easy.
A.K.A VOS

#230 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

If anyone cares... I thought using my dumbed-down router for a switch was not going to work. I tried many different IP addresses and gateways. Finally, I started at simple and checked connections. For some reason, I plugged the CAT5 into the BOTTOM port on the HR20-100. When I switched it to the top port, it worked fine. I now have 2 receivers hooked up to the DECA cloud via one DECA unit and a router. (Don't tell anyone, but I also have a blu-ray player connected via that router)

I discovered this AFTER ordering a switch from NewEgg. Oh well.

#231 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

1st-Thank You VOS for all of the advice and assistance you provide to the members of DBStalk. I have learned a lot from your posts.
2nd-The first image (mine) is what I was thinking of when converting to SWiM w/WHDVR using 8 way splitter. However after seeing the second image, from one of your posts, I am wondering if this method might be better (no terminated ports) to reduce rainfade and create an overall better WHDVR experience. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• WHDVR 1.jpg
  • 1.png

DIRECTV since April 2000.

#232 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

1st-Thank You VOS for all of the advice and assistance you provide to the members of DBStalk. I have learned a lot from your posts.
2nd-The first image (mine) is what I was thinking of when converting to SWiM w/WHDVR using 8 way splitter. However after seeing the second image, from one of your posts, I am wondering if this method might be better (no terminated ports) to reduce rainfade and create an overall better WHDVR experience. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions? Thanks.

The second has the advantage of less loss "except for" where you'd use the second splitter.

Now if you had the wireless CCK, which doesn't need to be wireless, as it has a ethernet port, you could skip the second splitter like I do:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1319570397

The wireless CCK is the only one with a pass through option.
A.K.A VOS

#233 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I modified my layout to show what I think you are suggesting based on my equipment (I have the 2 R22 now and plan on getting the HR24 & H24), No AC outlet in attic (where splitter would be located) so the PI would need to be near a DVR. So there is no real disadvantage (loss/PQ, etc) to running a receiver connection through a PI or WCCK? Thanks again for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• WHDVR 2.jpg

#234 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I modified my layout to show what I think you are suggesting based on my equipment (I have the 2 R22 now and plan on getting the HR24 & H24), No AC outlet in attic (where splitter would be located) so the PI would need to be near a DVR. So there is no real disadvantage (loss/PQ, etc) to running a receiver connection through a PI or WCCK? Thanks again for your help.

Since you can't put a splitter between the PI and the receivers, I might move the PI to where the CCK is.
If you check the installation image thread, there was a bulletin about issues with the PI connected too close to a HR24.
That was why [not that I did have problems] I moved mine so the splitter was between the PI and my HR24.
Now the CCK has some attenuation [by design] to the DECA signal, so this should act the same way.
So: splitter #1 output to PI to CCK to receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#235 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

OK gotcha (I think), Would the PI issue apply to the R22 as well? I would like to keep the PI in the Living Rm area. (HR24 would be in bedroom). Thanks again.
Also, I noticed a few posts back, you state to NOT fold back the braid when using compression connectors. I've been folding it back, but if you are saying not to fold it back, then I'm gonna start doing it that way. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• WHDVR 3.jpg

#236 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

OK gotcha (I think), Would the PI issue apply to the R22 as well? I would like to keep the PI in the Living Rm area. (HR24 would be in bedroom). Thanks again.
Also, I noticed a few posts back, you state to NOT fold back the braid when using compression connectors. I've been folding it back, but if you are saying not to fold it back, then I'm gonna start doing it that way. :)

That layout looks fine.
As for folding back the braid, I don't, but in the videos I found/posted they do. The point is that the braid is in good contact with the connector. If this gets done with it folded then fine.
A.K.A VOS

#237 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

OK, Thanks again VOS. I truly do appreciate your assistance.

#238 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hate to ask this, but I cant remember. Just had my H25 turned back on for the summer. Have component hooked to the HTPC and HDMI to a Sharp (all modes except 1080p supported, all checked except 1080p).

The box displays fine via the HTPC in all resolutions, but the HDMI connection give me "Incompatible Video Signal received" on the Sharp when anything except 480i is selected.

Does the H25 disable the HD resolutions on the HDMI cable when a component dongle is plugged in? Ive never tried using this one with both at once.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#239 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hate to ask this, but I cant remember. Just had my H25 turned back on for the summer. Have component hooked to the HTPC and HDMI to a Sharp (all modes except 1080p supported, all checked except 1080p).

The box displays fine via the HTPC in all resolutions, but the HDMI connection give me "Incompatible Video Signal received" on the Sharp when anything except 480i is selected.

Does the H25 disable the HD resolutions on the HDMI cable when a component dongle is plugged in? Ive never tried using this one with both at once.

I don't remember my H25 doing that when I was testing the component dongle on my Sony. It's currently HDMI to my Vizio, so I'll need to dig out the dongle to see.
A.K.A VOS

#240 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Ok, thanks.

No rush, I gave up after the below test, and just ran component cables from the HTPC component passthrough to the Sharp.

If indeed they are blocking HD on the HDMI port when component is in use, then the usefulness of the receiver is greatly reduced.

I just ran a test. Had the Component HD on in the living room, on Comedy Central, at 1080i. I had the Sharp turned off. When I turned it on, the receiver switched to 480i and displayed on the Sharp. I hit the res button on the front, and as soon as it switched off 480i, I got the error message on the Sharp, but the HTPC kept displaying.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...