Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Had the service cal today for 12-4pm. Installer called at 9:30am and wanted to come at 10, uhh--yeah. He poked around a bit, swapped out the black PI with same results. Went into the attic to check multiswitch. Came down and said 'they installed the wrong PI for your system". Installed a new grey PI and Life is good again.

From first phone call to drive away it was quick, easy and professional. Kudos Directv.
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   rjt4re

rjt4re

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I tried searching around the forums and have been unable to find an answer to this question. Is it possible to have more than 16 tuners on a system?

I currently have the following equipment hooked up:

3 - R-22-10
4 - HR20-700
1 - HR21-700

For a total of 16 tuners. I would like to swap an HR20-700 for the new HR34 (Genie) with 5 tuners. Is it possible to expand beyond the SWM-16?

I would guess that I could disable tuners on some of the least used DVRs to get back to 16 but my preference would be to expand beyond 16.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

#483 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I tried searching around the forums and have been unable to find an answer to this question. Is it possible to have more than 16 tuners on a system?

I currently have the following equipment hooked up:

3 - R-22-10
4 - HR20-700
1 - HR21-700

For a total of 16 tuners. I would like to swap an HR20-700 for the new HR34 (Genie) with 5 tuners. Is it possible to expand beyond the SWM-16?

I would guess that I could disable tuners on some of the least used DVRs to get back to 16 but my preference would be to expand beyond 16.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Surprised you couldn't find this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=207005
A.K.A VOS

#484 OFFLINE   rjt4re

rjt4re

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Seems I was using the wrong search terms (maximum tuners), multiple SWMs would have done it. Appreciate your time.

#485 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hey VOS!

You probably recognize me from the other HR34/C31 thread. I wanted to post my coax numbers here for you to look at to see if you have any feedback. Based on what I've gathered, my numbers seem to be acceptable to the point where I shouldn't have any problems but I figured I'd double check with you to make sure.

My setup consists of one HR34 and two C31 receivers. Thanks for the help!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#486 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hey VOS!

You probably recognize me from the other HR34/C31 thread. I wanted to post my coax numbers here for you to look at to see if you have any feedback. Based on what I've gathered, my numbers seem to be acceptable to the point where I shouldn't have any problems but I figured I'd double check with you to make sure.

My setup consists of one HR34 and two C31 receivers. Thanks for the help!

"Yep", there doesn't look to be any problems there.
A.K.A VOS

#487 OFFLINE   jeffloby

jeffloby

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

I have my wired CCK connected to the swm outside and a Ethernet cable to my router. I don't have the wired CCK in a loop with a receiver. Can my wireless CCK be connected the same way? Thanks in advance.

1-HR34-500
2-HR24-500
1-HR23 DECA Connected
1-H25-500

1-HR21 Deca Connected
Slimline 5-LNB Dish & SWM 16 Switch
Channel Master 4228 OTA antenna

#488 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have my wired CCK connected to the swm outside and a Ethernet cable to my router. I don't have the wired CCK in a loop with a receiver. Can my wireless CCK be connected the same way? Thanks in advance.

If you already have a CCK, not sure what you want to do here.

Yes the Wireless CCK, can be connected where your CCK is, and can connect to your router with either the ethernet cable or WiFi.
A.K.A VOS

#489 OFFLINE   jeffloby

jeffloby

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

If you already have a CCK, not sure what you want to do here.

Yes the Wireless CCK, can be connected where your CCK is, and can connect to your router with either the ethernet cable or WiFi.

Moving the location of the CCK and won't have a wired connection anymore

1-HR34-500
2-HR24-500
1-HR23 DECA Connected
1-H25-500

1-HR21 Deca Connected

#490 OFFLINE   jeffloby

jeffloby

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Moving the location of the CCK and won't have a wired connection anymore

If I ran the Wireless CCK through my HDDVR instead off straight off the swm would my other receivers still be connected to the internet or only the receiver that the CCK was hooked to? Thanks in Advance

1-HR34-500
2-HR24-500
1-HR23 DECA Connected
1-H25-500

1-HR21 Deca Connected

#491 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

If I ran the Wireless CCK through my HDDVR instead off straight off the swm would my other receivers still be connected to the internet or only the receiver that the CCK was hooked to? Thanks in Advance

If the WCCK is only connected to a receiver, [via ethernet], then it can't be shared with the other receivers on the coax network.
Since the WCCK has a coax, ethernet and WiFi, it can be connected to the coax [like other CCKs], connect to the router with WiFi [for the coax network], and use ethernet to one receiver. Normally in this configuration a bandstop filter is needed also.
A.K.A VOS

#492 OFFLINE   WhiteMask

WhiteMask

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hello, VOS -

I have a 5 lnb on the roof with 4 cables coming into the house (no SWM). 2 cables go to an HR 20 in our reading room and 2 cables go to an hr 21 in our living room. We have whole home using TrendNet devices which work fine. My living room Hr 21-100 has the component output connections going to a Sony DA3400ES receiver, then to the TV. The HDMI output from the HR21 goes thru the wall to the ajacent M Bedroom and directly to the TV. We can watch both sets with no problem, BUT only the same channel or recorded program only on both TVs.
Here's what I want to do:
I have a spare HR 21 that I'm paying for yet is not hooked up(long story). I would like to split the 2 coax cables feeding the living room TV so I can put this deck in the M Bedroom. I will connect it also to my Whole Home network. Now she can watch whatever she chooses of live or recorded programming on all decks and I can do the same in the living room. So can I get a splitter and make such a connection. It is cheaper than a lawyer, I'm sure :-)
Thank you
Planned Obsolescence . . humans, too??

#493 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hello, VOS -

I have a 5 lnb on the roof with 4 cables coming into the house (no SWM). 2 cables go to an HR 20 in our reading room and 2 cables go to an hr 21 in our living room. We have whole home using TrendNet devices which work fine. My living room Hr 21-100 has the component output connections going to a Sony DA3400ES receiver, then to the TV. The HDMI output from the HR21 goes thru the wall to the ajacent M Bedroom and directly to the TV. We can watch both sets with no problem, BUT only the same channel or recorded program only on both TVs.
Here's what I want to do:
I have a spare HR 21 that I'm paying for yet is not hooked up(long story). I would like to split the 2 coax cables feeding the living room TV so I can put this deck in the M Bedroom. I will connect it also to my Whole Home network. Now she can watch whatever she chooses of live or recorded programming on all decks and I can do the same in the living room. So can I get a splitter and make such a connection. It is cheaper than a lawyer, I'm sure :-)
Thank you

You can't "split" the old legacy system.
You'd need to add a WB68 and have all four coax from the dish go into it and then have 8 outputs to feed the dual coax for each DVR.
Trying to "split" a legacy system ends up with tuning problems.
A.K.A VOS

#494 OFFLINE   WhiteMask

WhiteMask

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

VOS -
I can do this. I believe this device is powered by the DVRs, right? All wires go to a cental location and then are barrelled to the 2 existing deck locations. The M Bedroom, however, only has one coax to it. Thus, can I feed the HR 21 I'm adding with just one cable, realizing this will limit my recording ability? Will this affect my TrendNet whole home set up?
Thanks Much for the quick response

#495 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

VOS -
I can do this. I believe this device is powered by the DVRs, right? All wires go to a cental location and then are barrelled to the 2 existing deck locations. The M Bedroom, however, only has one coax to it. Thus, can I feed the HR 21 I'm adding with just one cable, realizing this will limit my recording ability? Will this affect my TrendNet whole home set up?
Thanks Much for the quick response

"Seems doable" as the HR21 can be set to signal tuner mode and still be networked for MRV.
A.K.A VOS

#496 OFFLINE   WhiteMask

WhiteMask

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

VOS -

I'm not sure what "the HR21 can be set to signal tuner mode" means.

How do I do this and what does it mean? Will my only limitation be that I can only watch one recorded program while recording another with only one tuner being fed?

Thanks you.

#497 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

VOS -

I'm not sure what "the HR21 can be set to signal tuner mode" means.

How do I do this and what does it mean? Will my only limitation be that I can only watch one recorded program while recording another with only one tuner being fed?

Thanks you.

If you run the SAT setup again, you have the option of setting the DVR to one tuner, which if you have only one coax [on a legacy system] is all you have. It will record one show or let you watch one channel.
If you don't change to single tuner, with only one coax, the DVR will try to record off of the second tuner, but without a coax, it will be blank.
A.K.A VOS

#498 OFFLINE   WhiteMask

WhiteMask

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thanks very much for the guidance, VOS. I'll give this all a try when I'm released from my Thanksgiving prep duties by the ChairWoman around here:D

#499 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hey VOS,

Out of the blue on 11/15, while still running under [redacted]; MRV stopped working on the HR22-100. Now running current [redacted] and still no MRV. I have done the following:
  • restored defaults and reconnected to internet
  • numerous RBRs on both STB's
  • many menu resets on both STB's
  • pulled power...waited a few minutes...then replugged
  • reset router
  • changed ethernet cable from router to HR22-100
  • Refreshed at DirecTV.com
Additional Information:
  • whole home is authorized
  • tversity does not see the HR22
  • windows 7 network display does not see HR22
  • MediaShare doesn't appear under Extras
  • System passed all tests after download and still passes all tests
  • iPad app sees both the HR22 and HR20 and I am able view the unified playlist from both DVRs
  • In "More Info" - Listed under Network
  • area next to STB Services Port: a yellow triangle N/A (205).
  • Audio Services Port: just a dash
  • Network: Connected
  • Internet: Connected
Not running "supported" whole home (no DECA)...but this ran under this setup from the beginning of MRV.

I'm at a loss; I don't know what else I could do to bring MRV back.

Vinny

Edited by veryoldschool, 23 November 2012 - 03:30 PM.

HR34-700(0x00805)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#500 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hey VOS,

Out of the blue on 11/15, while still running under [redacted]; MRV stopped working on the HR22-100. Now running current [redacted] and still no MRV. I have done the following:

• restored defaults and reconnected to internet
  • numerous RBRs on both STB's
  • many menu resets on both STB's
  • pulled power...waited a few minutes...then replugged
  • reset router
  • changed ethernet cable from router to HR22-100
  • Refreshed at DirecTV.com
Additional Information:
  • whole home is authorized
  • tversity does not see the HR22
  • windows 7 network display does not see HR22
  • MediaShare doesn't appear under Extras
  • System passed all tests after download and still passes all tests
  • iPad app sees both the HR22 and HR20 and I am able view the unified playlist from both DVRs
  • In "More Info" - Listed under Network
  • area next to STB Services Port: a yellow triangle N/A (205).
  • Audio Services Port: just a dash
  • Network: Connected
  • Internet: Connected

Not running "supported" whole home (no DECA)...but this ran under this setup from the beginning of MRV.

I'm at a loss; I don't know what else I could do to bring MRV back.

Vinny

"more info" doesn't show anything to be concerned about. the <205> error I haven't seen, but all of mine have the <202> error.
Since most of your devices don't seem to "see" the HR22, I'd guess that a port is blocked in your router. I've seen this myself back in the early days when I used ethernet. I seem to remember DirecTV2PC worked, but MRV didn't.
This took a router reset to resolve. If a power cycle doesn't, then the next thing I'd try is the hidden factory reset button. It has helped before.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...