Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   TAK3210

TAK3210

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

Most likely these are spot beams that aren't pointed at you.

OK, great! Thanks, VOS! :)
HR24/100
HR23/700
H25/500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   NiTruS

NiTruS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

question: advantages/disadvantages to using/not using power passing port on 4-way splitter? right now I don't use it on both 4-way splitters..I have PI hooked to power port on swm16..

HR44-500 - 65" Panasonic Plasma VT50
HR24-500 - 50" Panasonic Plasma
HR22-100 - 32" Dynex LED
HR21-100 - 32" Samsung LCD

SWM16-BBDECA WHMRV

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

question: advantages/disadvantages to using/not using power passing port on 4-way splitter? right now I don't use it on both 4-way splitters..I have PI hooked to power port on swm16..

The "power passing port", is "just another port", to be used as needed.
What makes it different is a large "choke" to pass DC from the output to the input, as seen here:
choke.png
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

I am puzzled by the numbers turned in on a coax test of my (self) installation...

Here are the loss numbers:

Posted Image

So, not surprisingly, two most distant receivers (both H25's) have the highest loss number.

But here are the mesh numbers:

Posted Image

And those 2 modes with the highest loss (-28) have the highest throughput (294).

How is that possible?

Edited by Diana C, 15 January 2012 - 07:49 AM.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#45 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

The mesh numbers are a bit like the SAT signal numbers, where neither are really related to power, but to the signal to noise ratio.
When you lose enough signal, to lose the SNR, then the numbers drop fast.
Those 290s I think are a software error, as the Phy Mesh maxes at about 260.
A.K.A VOS

#46 OFFLINE   WebHobbit

WebHobbit

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

VOS (or others) - I posted this in another thread but I thought someone here may wanna weigh in:

So I got a new DirecTV install. I've got an HR34 in the living room and two H25-100s in bedrooms. It's connected via DECA/Cinema Connect kit. I keep having this rather infuriating problem where one or both of the H25s randomly will be unable to play content from the HR34. Generally when it does this I can hit "try again" 2-12 times and it will finally work. I really NEED this equipment to start working reliably as I was the dude that insisted on this change (from 9 years of TiVo) and my Wife and daughter are not at all impressed with the HR34 (with the SD blue UI) as compared to the HDUI on our "old" TiVo Premiere XL.

Anyway so far I have found that the following WILL make it work again but this is a stupid thing to have to keep doing continuously:

1) RBR -at H25
2) Menu reboot -H25
3) power plug pull -H25
4) power plug pull/reconnect -at Cinema Kit module
5) REAUTHORIZE -from DirecTV account webpage.

Any one of those will restore the ability to play stuff on the HR34 from an H25.

So far I have ran the system and network tests both from the menu and from the front panel....and everything looks normal and fine. Both H25s have the beautiful new HD GUI now and the problem was present before and after the update. I REALLY thought I'd fixed this problem earlier today when I went through and configured STATIC IPs for all three boxes. It was very snappy and reliable for a while but a few minutes ago I tried to play something and got the error again! I hit RETRY 5 times and then it started working fine.

I haven't called DTV yet. I was saving that as a last resort. Any ideas? Help me out guys -I'm not the most popular guy in the house at this point.

#47 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Folks,

let's try to keep this on topic, for questions that VOS can answer for you on technical matters.

Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

VOS I posted this in another thread:

So I got a new DirecTV install. I've got an HR34 in the living room and two H25-100s in bedrooms. It's connected via DECA/Cinema Connect kit. I keep having this rather infuriating problem where one or both of the H25s randomly will be unable to play content from the HR34. Generally when it does this I can hit "try again" 2-12 times and it will finally work.

I haven't called DTV yet. I was saving that as a last resort. Any ideas?

Right now there are a few of these threads going on.
My first thought was to check the networking status, but users like RAD, who have had a HR34 [which I have yet to get], have posted this is a software problem and network status can be fine.
This isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but even the HR20s were real flaky when they first came out and it took close to six months before the software was stable.
I don't expect it will be six months before you see a software update, but I do respect Rad's experience.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   WebHobbit

WebHobbit

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

thanks....kinda what I figured

#50 OFFLINE   five337

five337

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

I followed WebHobbit over here because I am having the same un-usable service since the addition of the HR34.

I am confident that the SWM16 is split properly.

DirecTV is very nice and sent someone out. Rebooted everything and it worked. Then it just stops later on.

I ran the GUIDE->RIGHT test. I have one H23 that is giving me 0% on the Tuner1 & Network Tuner - but the live video is playing fine and I have no problems using the H23 to watch live TV.

I ran the GUIDE->RIGHT test on the HR34. Tuner 1, 2 and 3 are below 90% and 4,5 are high. Is that normal ?

I've attached a few images. The new guide is the H23, the old guide is the HR34.

Is there anything on these GUIDE->RIGHT screens that I should be looking for ?

-----
My setup - installed by DirecTV a few months ago.

SWM16. Both outputs are run to 4 way splitters.

4way splitter #1 goes to a H21, HR34 and a HR21 w/ the power injector

4way splitter #2 goes to HR22, HR21, H23, H21, Cinema Connection Kit

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0388.jpg
  • IMG_0395.jpg
  • IMG_0397.JPG

Edited by five337, 15 January 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

There is a third screen [or the second test] for the DECA Phy Mesh that you haven't shown.

As for the tuners and slightly low percentages, what does the signal level screen show for SWM? There will be nine channels listed like TPs for SATs.
#1 is the guide, and 2-8 are the eight SWiM channels. Those receivers on the same SWiM output/leg will show zeros on the receiver running the test, unless all receivers are on the same setup levels menu/screens, which is when each releases the SWiM channels they use.

the Phy Levels looks to be within good range.
A.K.A VOS

#52 OFFLINE   five337

five337

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

I've attached the Mesh Screen along with the other screens you mentioned.

Everything was working correctly when I just took these pictures. I had just rebooted the SWM16 a few hours before because MRV wasn't working when I woke up.

I'll make sure to check these screens again when MRV stops working again.

Thanks for your help !!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0399.jpg
  • IMG_0400.JPG
  • IMG_0401.JPG

#53 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I've attached the Mesh Screen along with the other screens you mentioned.

Everything was working correctly when I just took these pictures. I had just rebooted the SWM16 a few hours before because MRV wasn't working when I woke up.

I'll make sure to check these screens again when MRV stops working again.

Thanks for your help !!

I don't see anything that should be a concern in your photos.
Rebooting the SWiM-16, shouldn't have any effect on MRV, since DECA doesn't interact with the SWiM "at all".
A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

VOS, I currently have WHDVR set up with 4 HR2x HD DVRs with DECA/SWM8. I also have an old R10 DirecTiVo that I want to replace with another HR2x. The R10's two tuners are being fed from a WB68 that runs in parallel with my SWM8 so if I just swap out the R10 for an HR2x and connect an ethernet cable to it that I already have at that location which runs back to my router, will it become part of my WHDVR network? Thanks.
Vin

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

VOS, I currently have WHDVR set up with 4 HR2x HD DVRs with DECA/SWM8. I also have an old R10 DirecTiVo that I want to replace with another HR2x. The R10's two tuners are being fed from a WB68 that runs in parallel with my SWM8 so if I just swap out the R10 for an HR2x and connect an ethernet cable to it that I already have at that location which runs back to my router, will it become part of my WHDVR network? Thanks.

It will become part but will also be running through your router for this, so you need [and may have] a BB DECA or CCK.
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

VOS, I asked this question just before Christmas and you did respond . I am sorry I have been unable to address it it until now. Your questions were

1. Does the BB Deca have all three green LEDs?

Yes all three are lit and the network light occasionally flashes.

2. Is the cat5/6 cable good?

Yes I have swapped out with cables working correctly on other devices with no success.

----Internet Connection Help
I am currently in need of some help getting my boxes connected to the internet.

Setup
1 HR34
3 H25s
SWM3 single wire to 8 way splitter
Each H25 connected directly to splitter
4th coax from splitter to Power Inserter out of PI to two way splitter (Green SWM label 2-210 mHz - Coax 1 from two way directly to HR-34. Coax 2 from splitter into coax port of Black Broadband DECA box. Cat 5/6 from Deca box into router.

The Deca network seems to be working fine as all three H25s see the HR34 and can play, trickplay, delete, set recordings etc.

The problem is I can't get connected to my network and thus the internet.

Automatic setup results in no internet access, result code 86-792, the HR34 showing an ip address of 169.XXX.XXX.XXX and the subnet mask set to 255.255.0.0

Advanced setup, setting the ip statically (within allowable range but well away from DHCP leases), setting the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, and setting the default gateway and DNS server to the correct addresses still results in not connected and result code 86-792 ---

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

VOS, I asked this question just before Christmas and you did respond . I am sorry I have been unable to address it it until now. Your questions were

1. Does the BB Deca have all three green LEDs?

Yes all three are lit and the network light occasionally flashes.

2. Is the cat5/6 cable good?

Yes I have swapped out with cables working correctly on other devices with no success.

----Internet Connection Help
I am currently in need of some help getting my boxes connected to the internet.

Setup
1 HR34
3 H25s
SWM3 single wire to 8 way splitter
Each H25 connected directly to splitter
4th coax from splitter to Power Inserter out of PI to two way splitter (Green SWM label 2-210 mHz - Coax 1 from two way directly to HR-34. Coax 2 from splitter into coax port of Black Broadband DECA box. Cat 5/6 from Deca box into router.

The Deca network seems to be working fine as all three H25s see the HR34 and can play, trickplay, delete, set recordings etc.

The problem is I can't get connected to my network and thus the internet.

Automatic setup results in no internet access, result code 86-792, the HR34 showing an ip address of 169.XXX.XXX.XXX and the subnet mask set to 255.255.0.0

Advanced setup, setting the ip statically (within allowable range but well away from DHCP leases), setting the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, and setting the default gateway and DNS server to the correct addresses still results in not connected and result code 86-792 ---

It still sounds like the BB DECA isn't talking to your router.
Since it sounds like your BB DECA is near your HR34, try moving the ethernet cable from the BB DECA over to the HR34's ethernet port.
The HR34 can also be the bridge to your home network.
If this does get everything on the internet, you could either get the BB DECA replaced, or remove the splitter and skip using the BB DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thanks! I'll give that a shot when I get home today. I was about to try that last night but wasn't sure if plugging in ethernet port would disable the WHDVR.

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks! I'll give that a shot when I get home today. I was about to try that last night but wasn't sure if plugging in ethernet port would disable the WHDVR.

It does on all but the HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   infounlim

infounlim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi VOS, quick question. If all I want is to share recordings and don't have internet, and I have an H24 and an HR24 off of a new SWIM LNB all I need to do is have WWDVR activated correct? no additional hardware needed

spam firewall