Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I have no clue why it would just be tuner 2 on the hr34, which affects only certain channels, like 304.

I unplugged the power to the swm (16) and plugged back in, and I'm my channels back.

Directv is coming out tomorrow to look at everything.

All my other boxes are working fine as well. 4 h25.

The 34 can be a bit harder to troubleshoot why one of it's five tuners are having a problem, and also be a bit more sensitive with problems on the coax from the -16, like open ports or unused coax being connected to splitters.
"I'm guessing" the 34 is on one leg/output of the -16 & the 25s are on the other.
You might try swapping outputs to see if the problem stays with the 34, or not.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

There isn't any unused coax or open ports. I was sure to clean that all up a few months ago. I even put a new coax from the swm to the 34. It's only a run of about 25 feet.

Yes, the 34 is on one side the 25s on the other.
I'll just let the directv guy see what he can see. Unfortunately it's not a consistent thing. It may not happen again for weeks.

Thanks for the help though. Always appreciated :)

#583 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

There isn't any unused coax or open ports. I was sure to clean that all up a few months ago. I even put a new coax from the swm to the 34. It's only a run of about 25 feet.

Yes, the 34 is on one side the 25s on the other.
I'll just let the directv guy see what he can see. Unfortunately it's not a consistent thing. It may not happen again for weeks.

Thanks for the help though. Always appreciated :)

Intermittent problems are always tough to find.

Let them "do their thing" and see what happens. If it comes back, I might swap the 34 with a 25 [change locations] as the SWiM will support this [maxing at 8 tuners] and see if it happens again. This "might point" to it being the 34.
A.K.A VOS

#584 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

VOS,
In anticipation of getting a Genie, I'm planning on converting my "classic" 2 line per DVR slimline system, with MRV via unsupported Ethernet, to SWM/DECA with a SWM-16. I currently have 2 HR-21's and 1 HR-20.

I know that I need to run a separate line with a Band Stop filter into Sat-1 on the HR-20. Since I already have two lines running from my WB68 multiswitch to the HR-20, can I just use one of those cables running from one of the 4 way SMW splitters that I will be installing or do I actually need to split a single wire behind the HR-20, using a two way splitter as this image shows, one that will go into the filter and into Sat-1 and the other that will go through a DECA and into Sat-2.

Since I already have a cable going from the existing multi-switch, I figure that if I can reuse that, why not?

Also, since one side of the SWM will only be going to 1 HR-21 (in the location where the Genie will eventually be located), is there any reason that I need to use a splitter between SWM2 and the DVR? Can I just run a single coax directly from SWM2 to the HR-21?

#585 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

VOS,
In anticipation of getting a Genie, I'm planning on converting my "classic" 2 line per DVR slimline system, with MRV via unsupported Ethernet, to SWM/DECA with a SWM-16. I currently have 2 HR-21's and 1 HR-20.

I know that I need to run a separate line with a Band Stop filter into Sat-1 on the HR-20. Since I already have two lines running from my WB68 multiswitch to the HR-20, can I just use one of those cables running from one of the 4 way SMW splitters that I will be installing or do I actually need to split a single wire behind the HR-20, using a two way splitter as this image shows, one that will go into the filter and into Sat-1 and the other that will go through a DECA and into Sat-2.

Since I already have a cable going from the existing multi-switch, I figure that if I can reuse that, why not?

Also, since one side of the SWM will only be going to 1 HR-21 (in the location where the Genie will eventually be located), is there any reason that I need to use a splitter between SWM2 and the DVR? Can I just run a single coax directly from SWM2 to the HR-21?

If you only need to feed one receiver off a SWiM output, you don't need a splitter.
The double coax would work, but remember it's only for the HR20-100 and NOT for the HR20-700.
A.K.A VOS

#586 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

The double coax would work, but remember it's only for the HR20-100 and NOT for the HR20-700.

I didn't realize that. I have an HR20-700. So it's a non-issue.

Thanks.

#587 OFFLINE   Jnelson

Jnelson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

What is the longest run of coax from the SWM to an HD receiver you would recommend? I have a separate structure roughly 100 ft from where SWM is located and I'd like to get an HD receiver out there without putting up a second dish.

#588 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

What is the longest run of coax from the SWM to an HD receiver you would recommend? I have a separate structure roughly 100 ft from where SWM is located and I'd like to get an HD receiver out there without putting up a second dish.

Both the splitter and coax loss will be what limits "the longest".

I wouldn't go longer than: http://www.dbstalk.c...93&postcount=13
A.K.A VOS

#589 OFFLINE   Jnelson

Jnelson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thank you kind sir.

#590 OFFLINE   Jnelson

Jnelson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Is it possible to pair an HR22-100 with a pre-2005 dish?

I have two systems, one with all the latest equipment and the other a legacy system on a separate structure on the property. The latter was set up 12 years ago and has one of the old round dishes and an R-15 receiver. I want to upgrade the old system, but DTV will/can not install a new dish because to do so would require tech to leave ladder and walk on the roof. (OSHA rule per 3rd level supervisor). Local retailer wants to $400 to install, which is a bit dear.

I have a spare HR22-100 that is attached to the main system (got an HR 34 and that rendered the HR22 unnecessary). I have tried to deploy as partial upgrade, but when I try to set up I get error message saying "problem communicating with dish". Tried an RBR but no joy. Is there a way to make this work?

#591 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Is it possible to pair an HR22-100 with a pre-2005 dish?

I have two systems, one with all the latest equipment and the other a legacy system on a separate structure on the property. The latter was set up 12 years ago and has one of the old round dishes and an R-15 receiver. I want to upgrade the old system, but DTV will/can not install a new dish because to do so would require tech to leave ladder and walk on the roof. (OSHA rule per 3rd level supervisor). Local retailer wants to $400 to install, which is a bit dear.

I have a spare HR22-100 that is attached to the main system (got an HR 34 and that rendered the HR22 unnecessary). I have tried to deploy as partial upgrade, but when I try to set up I get error message saying "problem communicating with dish". Tried an RBR but no joy. Is there a way to make this work?

It should work, but you need to change the SAT setup.
"problem communicating with dish" is from the receiver looking for a SWiM, but you have it connected to what sounds like the old 18" round dish.
A.K.A VOS

#592 OFFLINE   Jnelson

Jnelson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Do I change Sat setup while the receiver is attached to main system, i.e. the one with the SWM? I can never reach that stage when I try to set it up on the old dish; just keep getting the error message.

#593 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Do I change Sat setup while the receiver is attached to main system, i.e. the one with the SWM? I can never reach that stage when I try to set it up on the old dish; just keep getting the error message.

When it's connected to a SWiM, the communication overrides things, so you'll need to not have it connected to a SWiM.
You should be able to press menu and get into the setup options.
The receiver tend to change to SWiM much easier than changing away from a SWiM, so you may need to try several times.
A.K.A VOS

#594 OFFLINE   Jnelson

Jnelson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

I will give it another try. Thanks for your help.

#595 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Keep in mind, you will only be able to receive/display SD stations even though you are using an HD receiver. You need to tell the receiver the correct dish in setup. All of the HD programming comes from 99 and 103, which are not supported by the older dish.

#596 OFFLINE   Jnelson

Jnelson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Understand carl6. Existing receiver is an R15, which is SD, so not losing anything. Gain, I hope, is internet capability.

VOS: finally got it to work using front panel rather than remote.

Thanks guys

#597 OFFLINE   hiline

hiline

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Howdy

I hate for my second post to be a question. But, I've been searching and cannot find the answer. On a SWM 16 where does the legacy ports (mainly 1 & 2) fit in the main scheme of things? Do they count as tuners on 1-8 or 9-16 or?

Thanks

#598 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Howdy

I hate for my second post to be a question. But, I've been searching and cannot find the answer. On a SWM 16 where does the legacy ports (mainly 1 & 2) fit in the main scheme of things? Do they count as tuners on 1-8 or 9-16 or?

Thanks

Questions are why this thread and the forum is here.

The legacy ports are fed from the dish before the signals go to the SWiM section(s) so they are independent of the tuner count on each output.
A.K.A VOS

#599 OFFLINE   hiline

hiline

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping they were more or less pass thru. That will work out perfectly. Also thanks to RatPatrol who sent me a PM. My post count wouldn't allow me to reply. I need to get on that next. :)

#600 OFFLINE   Jnelson

Jnelson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Had DTV change dish in my guest house to HD from SD. I ordered SWM equipment. Got home (my wife dealt with installer) to discover that the HR22 had both coax leads connected and there were BBCs attached. Can't be a SWM setup can it?

spam firewall