Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#621 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I have WHDVR with DirecTV and I have the HR34-700. I am confused about something.

I thought I was connected to the internet via the HR34-700 but now I am not so sure.

What advantage is there to have your HR34-700 box connected to the internet provide?

I thought it was for VOD, but I have been used that and it appeared to work, so what good is an internet connection to the boxes and what is it used for.

any information would be appreciated. I thought I was connected but today my son came home and his XBOX 360 would not connect to our network and the problem I believe is the Wireless N video game adapter was not set up properly with our new Uverse gateway. I have the exact same network adapter connected to the HR34-700 and I have not reconfigured it since I have gotten the new Uverse gateway. I assumed it was working OK.
I have not noticed any problems with my WHDVR and in fact no set top receivers have been dropping off the network.

You can check the internet status by going into the setup menu and running the system test, or going to more info and looking at the network status.

On Demand may be the biggest use, but there are other options like watching You-tube and listening to Pandora, along with ordering PPV without a phone line.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#622 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

I will be installing a Nomad this week. My question is do I need to plug it directly into the router or is ok to plug it into a switch that is connected to the router.

Thanks for the help.
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#623 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

I will be installing a Nomad this week. My question is do I need to plug it directly into the router or is ok to plug it into a switch that is connected to the router.

Thanks for the help.

Just as long as it has network connectivity to the HD DVR's, on the same IP network address range, then it doesn't matter.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#624 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Just as long as it has network connectivity to the HD DVR's, on the same IP network address range, then it doesn't matter.

Thank you for the help.......
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#625 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

SWM-16 is what I have and I have a Slimeline-3 something, should I choose "03: Slimline-3" or "17: Slimline-3S (SWM)".

Receivers were set to 17 but installer replaced some and set the new H25s as 03?

#626 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

SWM-16 is what I have and I have a Slimeline-3 something, should I choose "03: Slimline-3" or "17: Slimline-3S (SWM)".

Receivers were set to 17 but installer replaced some and set the new H25s as 03?

You should have two entries:
The LNB and the Switch below it.
I'm using a SL5, so 04 was shown, and below was the SWM switch for my -16.

If you don't have both entries, then the 17 would be my choice.
A.K.A VOS

#627 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

You should have two entries:
The LNB and the Switch below it.
I'm using a SL5, so 04 was shown, and below was the SWM switch for my -16.

If you don't have both entries, then the 17 would be my choice.

Thanks! all I have under Switch type on both is a greyed out box that says 01: SWM

#628 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Need confirmation of a bad SWM16...

Original config: 4 lines from dish to SWM16. Two DVRS, and two receivers (6 tuners) all on a SWS4 plugged into port 1 on SWM16: Worked

Upgrade config 1: Genie and DVR on port 1, two receivers on port 2 using SWS4: Worked for two days until today, when temp got to 85. Started getting 771 error, and communicating with dish error on all locations. Signals going from all 99's to Not Aquired and back.

REconfig 2: Put everything back the way it was originally, and plugged line to GENIE into port 2. All receivers and DVR worked ok, Genie would not aquire signal.

REconfig 3 for test: Put ALL tuners (9) on port 1. All worked except Genie. Channel changes on other boxes took upwards of 30 seconds.

Final solution: Put all boxes on port 1, through SWS4, but disabled a tuner on DVR (for a total of 8 tuners now). Genie booted up, and configured fine. Channels changes back to normal.

My conclusion is a bad port 2 on the SWM16. Would you confirm?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#629 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Need confirmation of a bad SWM16...

Original config: 4 lines from dish to SWM16. Two DVRS, and two receivers (6 tuners) all on a SWS4 plugged into port 1 on SWM16: Worked

Upgrade config 1: Genie and DVR on port 1, two receivers on port 2 using SWS4: Worked for two days until today, when temp got to 85. Started getting 771 error, and communicating with dish error on all locations. Signals going from all 99's to Not Aquired and back.

REconfig 2: Put everything back the way it was originally, and plugged line to GENIE into port 2. All receivers and DVR worked ok, Genie would not aquire signal.

REconfig 3 for test: Put ALL tuners (9) on port 1. All worked except Genie. Channel changes on other boxes took upwards of 30 seconds.

Final solution: Put all boxes on port 1, through SWS4, but disabled a tuner on DVR (for a total of 8 tuners now). Genie booted up, and configured fine. Channels changes back to normal.

My conclusion is a bad port 2 on the SWM16. Would you confirm?

Not to kick a dead horse, but what happens moving everything [that is working] to SWM #2?
Keep the PI on the port for power, but load all the tuners over on #2 using the same cabling.
A.K.A VOS

#630 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Havent tried that, since there is no power available at the SWM location, and its coming in on port 1. Guess I could run an extension cord out there and plug the PI directly into it. Problem is, to get Amazon prime shipping, I need to order in the next 17 hours, and wont be able to get back over there until tomorrow.

Mom was getting pissed not being able to watch tv, so didnt want to experiment to much today.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#631 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Havent tried that, since there is no power available at the SWM location, and its coming in on port 1. Guess I could run an extension cord out there and plug the PI directly into it. Problem is, to get Amazon prime shipping, I need to order in the next 17 hours, and wont be able to get back over there until tomorrow.

Mom was getting pissed not being able to watch tv, so didnt want to experiment to much today.

I've seen some strange things lately, so it may not be a bad second section. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#632 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

The odd thing is the have one line running to two rooms with a splitter in the first room, and the cable going through the wall to the second room (these are the two receivers).
The Kitchen has its own line (with power inserter), and the living room has two lines (one antenna, one D*) with Genie.

Disconnecting one cable at a time, the second bedroom receiver went off on two different cables. That made no sense at all. Reason I suspect the multiswitch is that no matter what receiver I connect to port two, it screws up the ones on port 1 as well as port 2.

Guess Im just going to have to guess, and order another SWM16. If it turns out its not that, then Ill just resell it, and run all new cables.

For what its worth, the internet connection worked fine from port 2 to port 1, and vice versa.

I would have thought with everything running fine, plugging the genie to port 2 would work. The ONLY way the Genie will work, is if I disable a tuner on the DVR for 8 total. Its like its bridged between port 1 and 2, and double counting tuners.

Its been working fine, but today, it got up to 82, and the SWM16 was quite warm (its mounted to the ceiling of a covered patio outside, in the shade).

#633 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

The odd thing is the have one line running to two rooms with a splitter in the first room, and the cable going through the wall to the second room (these are the two receivers).
The Kitchen has its own line (with power inserter), and the living room has two lines (one antenna, one D*) with Genie.

Disconnecting one cable at a time, the second bedroom receiver went off on two different cables. That made no sense at all. Reason I suspect the multiswitch is that no matter what receiver I connect to port two, it screws up the ones on port 1 as well as port 2.

Guess Im just going to have to guess, and order another SWM16. If it turns out its not that, then Ill just resell it, and run all new cables.

For what its worth, the internet connection worked fine from port 2 to port 1, and vice versa.

I would have thought with everything running fine, plugging the genie to port 2 would work. The ONLY way the Genie will work, is if I disable a tuner on the DVR for 8 total. Its like its bridged between port 1 and 2, and double counting tuners.

Its been working fine, but today, it got up to 82, and the SWM16 was quite warm (its mounted to the ceiling of a covered patio outside, in the shade).

You're describing exactly some of the strange things that have come up lately, and "messing with" the connector on the PI seemed to have "resolved" the Genie on SWM #2. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#634 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

You're describing exactly some of the strange things that have come up lately, and "messing with" the connector on the PI seemed to have "resolved" the Genie on SWM #2. :confused:

The power inserter in the house, or the port on the SWM16? Im not currently using the power port on the SWM16. They also had two non-directv splitters on the receivers, so I ordered two SWS-2's for that. Once I swap and flop on Saturday, Ill let you know what it turned out to be. I know its not the box, it was working perfectly at my house.

#635 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

The power inserter in the house, or the port on the SWM16? Im not currently using the power port on the SWM16. They also had two non-directv splitters on the receivers, so I ordered two SWS-2's for that. Once I swap and flop on Saturday, Ill let you know what it turned out to be. I know its not the box, it was working perfectly at my house.

I didn't get to get my hands on the other problem, "but" it seemed like there was a voltage problem running through the splitter to the SWiM-16, which caused the second part of the SWiM to have problems, much like what you posted. "Maybe" when the SWiM gets starved it can't power the second stage as well. Nothing was ever done to the second stage, and everything around the PI was, as it all started with disconnecting the PI and reconnecting it in the same place. The last step was [again] tightening the connector/coax on the PI and got the Genie on the second stage to work.
A.K.A VOS

#636 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

OK. Then that would not be the problem, as I plugged the kitchen DVR with the power inserter directly into port 1 by itself, and the other boxes into port 2 through the splitter, and still had problems (even with the kitchen receiver on the port 1 by itself) as soon as all the boxes on port 2 were powered up.

Before installing the new SWM16, I am going to move the power inserter to the dedicated input port on the SWM16, and see if I still have issues when I enable the second tuner on that DVR which I will plug into port 2 by itself.

#637 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

OK. Then that would not be the problem, as I plugged the kitchen DVR with the power inserter directly into port 1 by itself, and the other boxes into port 2 through the splitter, and still had problems (even with the kitchen receiver on the port 1 by itself) as soon as all the boxes on port 2 were powered up.

Before installing the new SWM16, I am going to move the power inserter to the dedicated input port on the SWM16, and see if I still have issues when I enable the second tuner on that DVR which I will plug into port 2 by itself.

"Chicken or egg": is it the -16 or the PI?
A.K.A VOS

#638 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Ill know Saturday I guess, and it will only cost me $75 to find out :)

#639 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

I've seen some strange things lately, so it may not be a bad second section. :shrug:

It was the SWM16.  New one swapped in, and it worked perfectly.  Guess I have an SWM8 now :)

#640 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

Can a swm8 be connected with only two cables? IOW, can a swm8 switch be used with an old two output lnb?

spam firewall