Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#641 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Can a swm8 be connected with only two cables? IOW, can a swm8 switch be used with an old two output lnb?

"Can?" yes, to just the 13 & 18 volt inputs.

"Why" you would want to do this, might be a question.

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#642 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

"Can?" yes, to just the 13 & 18 volt inputs.

"Why" you would want to do this, might be a question.

You might want to use an H25 in an rv where you have an old lnb.

#643 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,850 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Can a swm8 be connected with only two cables? IOW, can a swm8 switch be used with an old two output lnb?

Yes, but you will only get the 101 satellite, no HD.

Edited to strike through: And, of course, you still have to use an SWM capable receiver.

#644 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

I have a question VOS, I currently have 4 receivers HR44-700,HR24-200,H24-200 and D12-700 all connected on SWM 16 Multiswitch with Slimline 5 Dish, but what I'm not so sure about is the green label splitter they used which is a 8-way that's mounted at the back of the house next to the SWM 16, is it better to use a 4-way instead or is the 8-way fine?, Another poster said that is better to use the lower 4-way splitter If you need any more info I will gladly provide, although as from what I see it is currently using 5 ports including one on the side with 3 terminator caps so I don't see a benefit into using a 4-way with not enough connection.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#645 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

I have a question VOS, I currently have 4 receivers HR44-700,HR24-200,H24-200 and D12-700 all connected on SWM 16 Multiswitch with Slimline 5 Dish, but what I'm not so sure about is the green label splitter they used which is a 8-way that's mounted at the back of the house next to the SWM 16, is it better to use a 4-way instead or is the 8-way fine?, Another poster said that is better to use the lower 4-way splitter If you need any more info I will gladly provide, although as from what I see it is currently using 5 ports including one on the side with 3 terminator caps so I don't see a benefit into using a 4-way with not enough connection.

Splitter + coax loss have to be looked at together.

If you have long coax runs, an 8-way can be a problem.

If it's working now [not too much loss], there most likely will be no benefit to changing to a 4-way.  

A.K.A VOS

#646 OFFLINE   Carl Newman

Carl Newman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Had a brief power outage during a storm Wednesday.  Our HR21-100 & HR24-500 (both running 0x6d8) rebooted afterwards, as expected.  However, after completing reboot, neither set would display any HD channel from the satellite (HD thru the AM-21 is normal).    Two calls to D* resulted in 2nd CSR deciding it was an alignment issue (though my ss didn't indicate that) and a scheduled service call (next Tuesday!).
Lowest signal strength on 99c/101 is one 88 & one 85, rest are 91 - 100; on 103c (c&B) all are 95s (didn't check spots - no locals), so don't think alignment is the problem.  Vanilla set-up;  non-SWM (dual RG6 direct from LNB to each set - only break is ground block & wall plug.)
HR-21 attached to a Panasonic Plasma, HR-24 to a Visio LED.  Both HRs set to Native - On, Original Format.  16:9, HR-21 res set only 720, HR-24 res set to 720, 1080i, 1080p.  Both TVs set to "normal".  
Any suggestions as to what to try while waiting with baited breath for Tech?  Or (my guess) did my LNB partially die and I'm SOL?

#647 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Had a brief power outage during a storm Wednesday.  Our HR21-100 & HR24-500 (both running 0x6d8) rebooted afterwards, as expected.  However, after completing reboot, neither set would display any HD channel from the satellite (HD thru the AM-21 is normal).    Two calls to D* resulted in 2nd CSR deciding it was an alignment issue (though my ss didn't indicate that) and a scheduled service call (next Tuesday!).
Lowest signal strength on 99c/101 is one 88 & one 85, rest are 91 - 100; on 103c (c& B) all are 95s (didn't check spots - no locals), so don't think alignment is the problem.  Vanilla set-up;  non-SWM (dual RG6 direct from LNB to each set - only break is ground block & wall plug.)
HR-21 attached to a Panasonic Plasma, HR-24 to a Visio LED.  Both HRs set to Native - On, Original Format.  16:9, HR-21 res set only 720, HR-24 res set to 720, 1080i, 1080p.  Both TVs set to "normal".  
Any suggestions as to what to try while waiting with baited breath for Tech?  Or (my guess) did my LNB partially die and I'm SOL?

Since this was a "brief" power outage, I'd pull the power cord on one and give it some time before plugging it back in.

It might take 10 min or longer without power.

A.K.A VOS

#648 OFFLINE   Carl Newman

Carl Newman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks, VOS.  That did it (although since you said "longer" I waited 20), at least on the HR-24.  Have to wait until the wife's show is over to do hers!

And thanks for all the insight and knowledge I've gained over the years from reading your posts.  Much appreciated!

Carl

#649 OFFLINE   John Walls

John Walls

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

VOS,    I have 7 DVR's,, a Zimwell 6x16, & a Slimline 5, all are hard wired to an Ethernet switch, I have Whole Home grandfathered from beta install.  I have the Protection Plan.

My oldest DVR is an HR20.  With the "New Every Two" DirecTV will replace the HR 20 with a Genie..

What will the installer need to do/install to get the Genie & 6 DVR's to work with Whole Home?

Sincerely, John

Edited by John Walls, 12 July 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#650 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

VOS,    I have 7 DVR's,, a Zimwell 6x16, & a Slimline 5, all are hard wired to an Ethernet switch, I have Whole Home grandfathered from beta install.  I have the Protection Plan.

My oldest DVR is an HR20.  With the "New Every Two" DirecTV will replace the HR 20 with a Genie..

What will the installer need to do/install to get the Genie & 6 DVR's to work with Whole Home?

Sincerely, John

If you're going to keep all and not shift a few to the mini Genie clients:

2-SWM16-approved.png

A.K.A VOS

#651 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Referred over here by another user....

SO complained of issues with the H21-200 in her sewing room. Just had a look, initially came up with "no guide data for the past 48 hours". Ran diagnostics and got the error code 49-181 with the following text: "Primary Tuner Connection Problem. No SWM channels are available. The receiver is unable to register tuners for Live TV or Recordings because there are too many receivers connected to the coax network" plus the usual blurb about calling and quoting the above code. This box is presently working but channel change is very slow - she complained this morning that it wouldn't go away from Channel 2. Setup is a Slimline 5 with non-SWM LNB connected to an SWM-16 with an 8-way splitter on each output, 5 tuners on each splitter. Son mentioned some issues on his DVR (same splitter) and we've been seeing "freezing" on another DVR's recordings on that splitter tonight (box replaced about a month ago for a different issue). The H21-200 with the initial problem sees playlists from all three DVRs on the system. Swapped with another H21-200, got error code 49-826 with same text as the previous error. No sign of any issues on any tuner off the other splitter. Bad splitter?

#652 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Referred over here by another user....

SO complained of issues with the H21-200 in her sewing room. Just had a look, initially came up with "no guide data for the past 48 hours". Ran diagnostics and got the error code 49-181 with the following text: "Primary Tuner Connection Problem. No SWM channels are available. The receiver is unable to register tuners for Live TV or Recordings because there are too many receivers connected to the coax network" plus the usual blurb about calling and quoting the above code. This box is presently working but channel change is very slow - she complained this morning that it wouldn't go away from Channel 2. Setup is a Slimline 5 with non-SWM LNB connected to an SWM-16 with an 8-way splitter on each output, 5 tuners on each splitter. Son mentioned some issues on his DVR (same splitter) and we've been seeing "freezing" on another DVR's recordings on that splitter tonight (box replaced about a month ago for a different issue). The H21-200 with the initial problem sees playlists from all three DVRs on the system. Swapped with another H21-200, got error code 49-826 with same text as the previous error. No sign of any issues on any tuner off the other splitter. Bad splitter?

Splitters rarely "go bad".

Are there any open or unused ports on this 8-way splitter?

A.K.A VOS

#653 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

All unused ports have terminators.

#654 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Splitters rarely "go bad".

Wholeheartedly agree - its a pretty dumb piece of equipment. However, I'm not seeing what else it could be, unless its one output of the SWM-16 - it was rather warm at 10 PM last night, but I think they tend to "cook" a little!

#655 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Swap the outputs of the 16.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#656 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Might try that this evening.

#657 OFFLINE   tdixon7559

tdixon7559

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSt Joseph, MO

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

VOS, a question please.  I currently have a HR34 with 1-c31, 1-c41, and 3 h25's along with a CCK.  I want to switch out the HR34 for a HR44 and self install it.  Do I still need the CCK or can I disconnect it and use the wireless in the HR44?  I have tried to research this so I apoligize if I have missed the answer somewhere. Also, any other advise before I attempt this?  Thank you

#658 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

VOS, a question please.  I currently have a HR34 with 1-c31, 1-c41, and 3 h25's along with a CCK.  I want to switch out the HR34 for a HR44 and self install it.  Do I still need the CCK or can I disconnect it and use the wireless in the HR44?  I have tried to research this so I apoligize if I have missed the answer somewhere. Also, any other advise before I attempt this?  Thank you

You may want to keep the CCK, but of course you can use the 44 WiFi instead.

I've had some issues with my 44's WiFi feeding other DVRs for OnDemand, so I'm using a CCK.

YMMV

A.K.A VOS

#659 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Might try that this evening.

Swapping was going to be a suggestion.

Another would beto power down the SWiM-16 & receivers and reboot everything [SWiM first].

A.K.A VOS

#660 OFFLINE   mtsz52784

mtsz52784

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hey VOS, quick question (hopefully)... I have a summer home with no internet, am I able to setup whole home DVR with just a router and no internet supplied to it? Or is there a different way? Thanks Matt

If you can read this thank a teacher -AND- since its in english thank a soldier!

spam firewall