Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi VOS, quick question. If all I want is to share recordings and don't have internet, and I have an H24 and an HR24 off of a new SWIM LNB all I need to do is have WWDVR activated correct? no additional hardware needed

since these both have DECA internally, and you don't need internet for MRV, you are correct.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

It will become part but will also be running through your router for this, so you need [and may have] a BB DECA or CCK.

Actually, I've been using the 'cheater' hook up for internet access which I haven't had any issues with. Aside from the fact that this method isn't recommended, is there a reason why it wouldn't work as a means of tying the DECA connected DVRs to the ethernet connected one I'm considering?

Attached Thumbnails

• DECAbridge.jpg

Vin

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Actually, I've been using the 'cheater' hook up for internet access which I haven't had any issues with. Aside from the fact that this method isn't recommended, is there a reason why it wouldn't work as a means of tying the DECA connected DVRs to the ethernet connected one I'm considering?

"Maybe not". While if you ever need help, or have a problem, this needs to be removed, about the only other thing might be if the traffic gets too high for that one node.
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   five337

five337

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

It is just too random to figure out. Seeing that I am not the only one; I am going to assume its the HR34 software. Sometimes if I wake the HR34 out of standby, MRV comes back. If I repeat the satellite setup, MRV always seems to comes back. Unplugging the SWiM seems to work often even though it is said not to have anything to do with it.

VOS - Thanks for taking a look at those numbers. At least I know everything is hooked up correctly.

I don't see anything that should be a concern in your photos.
Rebooting the SWiM-16, shouldn't have any effect on MRV, since DECA doesn't interact with the SWiM "at all".

#65 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

VOS, unplugged the BB Deca and ran a cat 5 right from the HR-34 to my router. Works perfectly now, Thanks! Now what to do with a possibly malfunctioning brand new BB Deca module.

#66 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

VOS, unplugged the BB Deca and ran a cat 5 right from the HR-34 to my router. Works perfectly now, Thanks! Now what to do with a possibly malfunctioning brand new BB Deca module.

It does sound like the BB DECA is defective, so it might come down to how long you've had it and where it came from. 90 day warranty "should" cover it.
A.K.A VOS

#67 OFFLINE   BobGeeX

BobGeeX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Our daughter recently had Whole Home DVR & Cinema Connection installed and it's working great. We have one of these devices in the network to connect the Directv network directly to her Netgear router. She now asks Dad if the grandkids Wii can connect onto the Internet via the Directv network? We have a second coax run to the location and it is co-located with the Directv coax running back to the main splitter. Can a second DIRECTV DECA Broadband adapter be used to connect the Wii onto the Directv network? Thanks.

#68 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Our daughter recently had Whole Home DVR & Cinema Connection installed and it's working great. We have one of these devices in the network to connect the Directv network directly to her Netgear router. She now asks Dad if the grandkids Wii can connect onto the Internet via the Directv network? We have a second coax run to the location and it is co-located with the Directv coax running back to the main splitter. Can a second DIRECTV DECA Broadband adapter be used to connect the Wii onto the Directv network? Thanks.

While this wasn't DirecTV's intend, adding another BB DECA and connecting another non DirecTV device will work.
A.K.A VOS

#69 OFFLINE   Rosco

Rosco

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hey VOS, you helped me go to a SWM 16 system with DECA for whole home. My question is if I want to expand it to 2-SWM 16's, do I run the cascade from SWM #1's legacy ports to SWM #2's 99's and 103's input ports and each still need their own PI. Will they all still network together or will I have 2 separate DECA systems and whole home will be divided? Also do I need another cck for the 2nd SWM . Thanks for the help.

#70 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hey VOS, you helped me go to a SWM 16 system with DECA for whole home. My question is if I want to expand it to 2-SWM 16's, do I run the cascade from SWM #1's legacy ports to SWM #2's 99's and 103's input ports and each still need their own PI. Will they all still network together or will I have 2 separate DECA systems and whole home will be divided? Also do I need another cck for the 2nd SWM . Thanks for the help.

Yes, two PIs & 2 CCKs, as each DECA cloud [network] will be independent and will have to connect through your router.
A.K.A VOS

#71 OFFLINE   Rosco

Rosco

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

So the router is going to be the common connection between the 2 clouds and all receivers will see each other due to each SWM having a cck in their cloud

#72 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

So the router is going to be the common connection between the 2 clouds and all receivers will see each other due to each SWM having a cck in their cloud

That's how it works [for others].
A.K.A VOS

#73 OFFLINE   Rosco

Rosco

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

Ok, thanks. Nice idea for this thread. I read alot on the forum and post very little.

#74 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

VOS, I've got a SWiM16 installation using 9 tuners. I will soon get an HR34 & send back my HR20. That will give me 12 tuners. First, does it make any difference if I have 8 tuners on one splitter & 4 on the other, or is it better to have it as 7 & 5? Second, I went into the attic today to mark each line going into the two splitters. I'm going to have to move some of the cables around to get to the 8/4 or 7/5 tuner set up. I didn't bring any tools with me so I couldn't try undoing one of the cables but it didn't look to me to be twisted on. How do the cables connect to the splitters pictured below? I'm including the picture of the splitter for reference. I don't have multiple sets of splitters :-). I hope that makes sense.

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27957&stc=1&d=1326136326

#75 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

VOS, I've got a SWiM16 installation using 9 tuners. I will soon get an HR34 & send back my HR20. That will give me 12 tuners. First, does it make any difference if I have 8 tuners on one splitter & 4 on the other, or is it better to have it as 7 & 5? Second, I went into the attic today to mark each line going into the two splitters. I'm going to have to move some of the cables around to get to the 8/4 or 7/5 tuner set up. I didn't bring any tools with me so I couldn't try undoing one of the cables but it didn't look to me to be twisted on. How do the cables connect to the splitters pictured below? I'm including the picture of the splitter for reference. I don't have multiple sets of splitters :-). I hope that makes sense.

When you get to 12 tuners, five will be from the HR34, so this leaves 7 others, but one must be a receiver [only] with one tuner.
This means [or sound like it would] you could split them 6 & 6.
If so, then a 2-way on one output and a 4-way on the other output would work, right? [if not please list the receivers you are planning to keep]
This would leave the two highest SWiM channels free on both legs, along with using the smallest splitters you need.
"Generally" this would be the best option.
A.K.A VOS

#76 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

When you get to 12 tuners, five will be from the HR34, so this leaves 7 others, but one must be a receiver [only] with one tuner.
This means [or sound like it would] you could split them 6 & 6.
If so, then a 2-way on one output and a 4-way on the other output would work, right? [if not please list the receivers you are planning to keep]
This would leave the two highest SWiM channels free on both legs, along with using the smallest splitters you need.
"Generally" this would be the best option.

Yes, one of these is a receiver & so I could do 6 & 6. I don't know for sure which cable goes to the receiver but it is one of only two choices (the others I know for sure where they go) so it would not be hard to figure out. So, I'd use 2 connectors on one splitter & 3 connectors on the other, right? I'm not understanding the 2-way & 4-way you mention & what are the two highest SWiM channels?

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yes, one of these is a receiver & so I could do 6 & 6. I don't know for sure which cable goes to the receiver but it is one of only two choices (the others I know for sure where they go) so it would not be hard to figure out. So, I'd use 2 connectors on one splitter & 3 connectors on the other, right? I'm not understanding the 2-way & 4-way you mention & what are the two highest SWiM channels?

Going back to the image you posted, the upper left shows three 2-way splitters, and on the upper right is one 4-way,
So "one from column A and one from column B" [a 2-way & a 4-way].
The SWiM has nine channels, where #1 is the guide data [common to all receivers/tuners] and then #2 to #9 are used for tuners. The higher the channel [frequency] the more loss between the SWiM-16 and the tuner, so the tuners get a stronger signal using the lower "channels", than when using the higher[est] channels.

Maybe explaining this a bit more would help:
The HR34 and another single tuner on one SWiM output using just a 2-way splitter, has optimized the signal levels on this side.
On the other side of the SWiM, you have 3 receivers to connect, so a 4-way would use three and a termination on the unused port.
Now if one receiver is say 50' farther from the SWiM than the other two are, "you could" use a 2-way splitter with one output going to this receiver that is farther away, and then the other output of this [first] 2-way splitter then connects to another 2-way splitter [sort of like the image on the upper left, but with one splitter missing] and then from this second splitter you connect the last two receivers that were closer to the SWiM.
The idea with all of this is to keep the input signal levels to all receivers as high as you can, which would help when rainfade starts, as the stronger the signal to start with, the less rainfade you'll have.

Edited by veryoldschool, 22 January 2012 - 07:50 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   scubasteve

scubasteve

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Greetings VOS

I am getting ready to move from a 12 year old SD system to an H34, 2 additional receivers, whole house dvr and direct cinema.

New dish will be a SL5-SWM, PI-21 power supply, + SWS-4 splitter.

I am going to install a new pole mount and dish myself, pull the cable and just have the Directv installer do the dish alignment, terminate the cables, and make the grounding connections.

My house is all steel construction (red iron for main support, light gauge for the interior walls). Every room as at least one media outlet with 2 cat 5 and 2 quad shielded RG6 home run. Cat 5 is terminated in 110 punch down blocks.

If I run epvc from the pole into the attic will they attach the ground at the attic, at the Pole or both? Just trying to figure out how much excess cable to pull.

Since this will be an H34 do I really need the BB Deca? I read in one of your earlier posts that it wasn't necessary

Cheers

Steve

#79 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Greetings VOS

I am getting ready to move from a 12 year old SD system to an H34, 2 additional receivers, whole house dvr and direct cinema.

New dish will be a SL5-SWM, PI-21 power supply, + SWS-4 splitter.

I am going to install a new pole mount and dish myself, pull the cable and just have the Directv installer do the dish alignment, terminate the cables, and make the grounding connections.

My house is all steel construction (red iron for main support, light gauge for the interior walls). Every room as at least one media outlet with 2 cat 5 and 2 quad shielded RG6 home run. Cat 5 is terminated in 110 punch down blocks.

If I run epvc from the pole into the attic will they attach the ground at the attic, at the Pole or both? Just trying to figure out how much excess cable to pull.

Since this will be an H34 do I really need the BB Deca? I read in one of your earlier posts that it wasn't necessary

Cheers

Steve

The HR34 can do the same thing as a BB DECA.
Grounding inside your home isn't a good idea, so you should have a ground point before it enters your house. "Should you need" this ground to actually discharge a large charge, you wouldn't want it to be inside.
A.K.A VOS

#80 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

Going back to the image you posted, the upper left shows three 2-way splitters, and on the upper right is one 4-way,
So "one from column A and one from column B" [a 2-way & a 4-way].
The SWiM has nine channels, where #1 is the guide data [common to all receivers/tuners] and then #2 to #9 are used for tuners. The higher the channel [frequency] the more loss between the SWiM-16 and the tuner, so the tuners get a stronger signal using the lower "channels", than when using the higher[est] channels.

Maybe explaining this a bit more would help:
The HR34 and another single tuner on one SWiM output using just a 2-way splitter, has optimized the signal levels on this side.
On the other side of the SWiM, you have 3 receivers to connect, so a 4-way would use three and a termination on the unused port.
Now if one receiver is say 50' farther from the SWiM than the other two are, "you could" use a 2-way splitter with one output going to this receiver that is farther away, and then the other output of this [first] 2-way splitter then connects to another 2-way splitter [sort of like the image on the upper left, but with one splitter missing] and then from this second splitter you connect the last two receivers that were closer to the SWiM.
The idea with all of this is to keep the input signal levels to all receivers as high as you can, which would help when rainfade starts, as the stronger the signal to start with, the less rainfade you'll have.

Sorry, I posted the picture because I had a question about the splitter itself & thought the picture would serve as a reference but I just middied the waters :-). I have a SWiM16 with two splitters -- the standard set up. I have all 4 DVRs & 1 Receiver already hooked up & working from a D* installation 18 months ago when Whole Home was first offered via DECA. I will soon replace one DVR with an HR34. From your pevious posts I am now comfortable with how I should set up the 2 splitters. However, when I looked at the splitters I couldn't tell how the cables go into them -- the ends didn't look threaded from what I could tell. I didn't take any tools with me when I went into the attic so I coouldn't try loosening a cable. I'll have to rearrange some of the cables to get the 6/6 tuner split & I'd like to know how to undo the cables from the splitters.

spam firewall