Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" [or peds48] thread

• Please log in to reply
809 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

OK, I can move it in easy enough. One more questions, whever you have a chance to answer.

Can I run the 2nd leg of the SWM 16 directly to my HR34? Or do I need to have a green label splitter in-between?

Thanks so much for your assistance!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Can I run the 2nd leg of the SWM 16 directly to my HR34? Or do I need to have a green label splitter in-between?

It doesn't "need" a splitter to work.
A.K.A VOS

#103 OFFLINE   jedi34

jedi34

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

I just got Panasonic wi-fi ready TV. Rather than use a wireless network adapter, I'd rather connect it using the DECA and some kind of splitter\switch connected to the HR-21-100 which is connected to the internet AND WHDVR. I have SWIM setup.

I have a vague idea, but I'm hoping VOS can share his expertise (and some details.)

#104 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I just got Panasonic wi-fi ready TV. Rather than use a wireless network adapter, I'd rather connect it using the DECA and some kind of splitter\switch connected to the HR-21-100 which is connected to the internet AND WHDVR. I have SWIM setup.

I have a vague idea, but I'm hoping VOS can share his expertise (and some details.)

What are you trying to do here?
A.K.A VOS

#105 OFFLINE   jedi34

jedi34

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

The TV has an app. to stream netflix. I'd like to have it as an option. Basically, I want the TV to be able to use the same internet connection that the DVR uses.

#106 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

The TV has an app. to stream netflix. I'd like to have it as an option. Basically, I want the TV to be able to use the same internet connection that the DVR uses.

It would help to know more about what you have.
I think the simplest method would be to have the TV connect to your router, if your router is wireless.
If your current setup is hardwired, and you're looking to add a DECA wireless CCK to connect the TV, then they do have a wireless access point mode, but I haven't seen any instructions for it, nor do I think it currently is a supported mode.
A.K.A VOS

#107 OFFLINE   jedi34

jedi34

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I have cable broadband internet. I have a wireless router that I have a PC and a laptop connect to. The TV is connected to an HR-21-100, which is connected to the internet via a DECA, which DirecTV installed as part of the whole-home-DVR and cinema connection kit. I'm able to view UTube, and download VOD through the DVR, so it's connected to the Internet.

The TV is "internet-ready." I could buy the Panasonic wi-fi "dongle" or buy a compatible wireless nic-card, and plug it into the TV's Usb port, but I'm afraid the wireless will be flaky when streaming video. I'd rather connect the TV via an ethernet cable, but it is in a different part of the house from my modem and router.

I'm hoping I can connect the TV to the DECA, or to split the ethernet cable off of the DECA and connect it to the TV, so it will be connected to the internet for Netflix, or some other internet streams. I guess what I'm trying to do is to split the internet connection of DECA.

I'm sorry that I'm not explaining this very well. I do appreciate your time and effort.

#108 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

I have cable broadband internet. I have a wireless router that I have a PC and a laptop connect to. The TV is connected to an HR-21-100, which is connected to the internet via a DECA, which DirecTV installed as part of the whole-home-DVR and cinema connection kit. I'm able to view UTube, and download VOD through the DVR, so it's connected to the Internet.

The TV is "internet-ready." I could buy the Panasonic wi-fi "dongle" or buy a compatible wireless nic-card, and plug it into the TV's Usb port, but I'm afraid the wireless will be flaky when streaming video. I'd rather connect the TV via an ethernet cable, but it is in a different part of the house from my modem and router.

I'm hoping I can connect the TV to the DECA, or to split the ethernet cable off of the DECA and connect it to the TV, so it will be connected to the internet for Netflix, or some other internet streams. I guess what I'm trying to do is to split the internet connection of DECA.

I'm sorry that I'm not explaining this very well. I do appreciate your time and effort.

So let's first explain [for others] WiFi "ready", is a marketing term for "if you buy something else", it can work.

Does the TV have an ethernet port?
If so, then post #93 has a picture of what you're wanting to do. Add a [unsupported] switch and connect the TV and the DVR. "done"
A.K.A VOS

#109 OFFLINE   jedi34

jedi34

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I just looked at post #93 again. So I just need to buy a 100mb switch? I realize it's unsupported. Once again, I do appreciate your time, expertise and effort in helping me.

I know just a enough about DirecTV to be dangerous. I lurk on this forum every day. When the DirecTV sales guys approach me at my local Sam's club, I feel like I appreciate DirecTV even more than they do. I use media share, WHDVR, TV app's all because I learned about them on this forum.

#110 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

So I just need to buy a 100mb switch?

"Yep"
A.K.A VOS

#111 OFFLINE   phoneman06

phoneman06

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Is there any reason he couldn't use the second ethernet port on the STB? That is how I connected my blu-ray player.

#112 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

Is there any reason he couldn't use the second ethernet port on the STB? That is how I connected my blu-ray player.

"Sort of", in that it does work [as you're using], but since the second port isn't the same as a two port switch, it's controlled with drivers and uses CPU cycles. This means it loads the CPU a bit more than intended.
I also know [from engineering] it isn't a preferred method and think it isn't supported either.
A switch is so cheap these days and has the controller chip that the DVR doesn't, that everyone should be getting away from using the second port, as the newer DVRs no longer even have them.
A.K.A VOS

#113 OFFLINE   phoneman06

phoneman06

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

#114 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hey VOS, I have a question I’ve been curious about for a while.

When you use a barrel connector to extend a coaxial cable how much signal loss does it introduce to the line?

#115 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hey VOS, I have a question I’ve been curious about for a while.

When you use a barrel connector to extend a coaxial cable how much signal loss does it introduce to the line?

If the cable connectors are in good shape, the loss is on the order of a tenth "or so" dB for the barrel.
If the dielectric of the coax is recessed at the connector it might go up a bit, but it shouldn't be "a dB".
It is sort of hard to measure such low losses as variations just mating the connectors can vary a tenth or 2 when using a network analyzer.
A.K.A VOS

#116 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Ok, interesting. I've always avoided barrels like the plague.

#117 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Ok, interesting. I've always avoided barrels like the plague.

Any "extra" connection, is just another point of failure, so "plague" or not, I try to never have a connector that I don't need.
A.K.A VOS

#118 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Any "extra" connection, is just another point of failure, so "plague" or not, I try to never have a connector that I don't need.

Words to live by... :D

#119 OFFLINE   TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

It doesn't "need" a splitter to work.

Success! I actually got this setup working today. I ended up using 'barrels' to connect the exhisting coax from the dish to coax running into the SWM 16. After that, I used the middle connector on the SWM 16 for power, my HR34 directly wired to SWM port 1-8 and SWM port 9-16 going to a green label 2 port splitter, and then 1 wire to my HR24 and 1 wire to my HR20.

I am using the HR34 as a bridge to my internal DSL network, and all 3 boxes are able to use VOD, TVApps, iPad app, etc...

I was able to remove a bunch of coax cables and 2 of my network (Cat5) cables... making the system a lot easy to manage.

I suppose DirecTV still has me listed as Unsupported Whole Home, but I don't think I really care.

Thanks to you, VOS, for answering my questions!
Also, thanks to NDole for hooking me up with the hardware.

A final thanks to DBSTalk for providing a great community forum!

#120 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Success! I actually got this setup working today. I ended up using 'barrels' to connect the exhisting coax from the dish to coax running into the SWM 16. After that, I used the middle connector on the SWM 16 for power, my HR34 directly wired to SWM port 1-8 and SWM port 9-16 going to a green label 2 port splitter, and then 1 wire to my HR24 and 1 wire to my HR20.

I am using the HR34 as a bridge to my internal DSL network, and all 3 boxes are able to use VOD, TVApps, iPad app, etc...

I was able to remove a bunch of coax cables and 2 of my network (Cat5) cables... making the system a lot easy to manage.

I suppose DirecTV still has me listed as Unsupported Whole Home, but I don't think I really care.

Thanks to you, VOS, for answering my questions!
Also, thanks to NDole for hooking me up with the hardware.

A final thanks to DBSTalk for providing a great community forum!

Just to clarify [for anyone else reading this too]:

There is a SWM 1 and SWM 2 output, but there isn't 1-8 and 9-16.

Each output is exactly the same:
Channel 1 carries the guide data, and 2-9 are used by tuners.
The "other output", is exactly the same, as neither section of the SWiM has any interaction with the other section.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...