Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,979 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

If the receivers are connected to the router, perhaps when you try to access a VOD program, it verifies the active status of the receiver online. Just a WAG but it will be interesting to see how this works out.

VOS, how do I get into the diagnostic menu on an H25? I want to do that now when I have more time since I suspect the reason the receiver is starting that program, it may have something starting to fail.

Edited by veryoldschool, 04 March 2012 - 12:25 PM.
removed CE info

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

VOS, how do I get into the diagnostic menu on an H25?

Like the others, when you see running self test as it's rebooting, press select and you should enter the menu.
A.K.A VOS

#183 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,979 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Like the others, when you see running self test as it's rebooting, press select and you should enter the menu.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about which button. I remember something about the down arrow and record (on DVRs) but wasn't sure what that one did. It's running now.

Edit: It passed all of the tests but the cpu is running at 134 degrees. Seems high for a box out in the open.

Edited by Groundhog45, 04 March 2012 - 04:07 PM.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#184 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

I seem to remember someone saying that when you turn the DVR off, it would do some type of "maintenance". Do we know what kind of jobs the DVR is performing when in that state? (If anything) Is it like a Defrag or something like that?

#185 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

I seem to remember someone saying that when you turn the DVR off, it would do some type of "maintenance". Do we know what kind of jobs the DVR is performing when in that state? (If anything) Is it like a Defrag or something like that?

It's been called "housekeeping", but we don't know much more. There isn't any Defragging, but it may be doing things like sorting through the guide data and comparing to the series links and building the to do list.
A.K.A VOS

#186 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi VOS. Can you help with this one? I have an HR20-100 with the built in OTA tuner which I use to receive my locals. About a month ago our CBS affiliate, WINK-TV, changed from RF channel 9 to channel 50.

I repeated the antenna setup and all was well... for about a week. I lost WINK and had to repeat my antenna setup again. All was well... for about a week. It seems to "hold" for about a week, and then loses WINK again until I repeat antenna setup. All of my other locals are fine.

Could the OTA guide received off the satellite have the old channel information, and my receiver keeps "correcting" the channel when I run the antenna setup? Others have told me that the HR20-100 does not scan locals.

Thanks.

#187 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hi VOS. Can you help with this one? I have an HR20-100 with the built in OTA tuner which I use to receive my locals. About a month ago our CBS affiliate, WINK-TV, changed from RF channel 9 to channel 50.

I repeated the antenna setup and all was well... for about a week. I lost WINK and had to repeat my antenna setup again. All was well... for about a week. It seems to "hold" for about a week, and then loses WINK again until I repeat antenna setup. All of my other locals are fine.

Could the OTA guide received off the satellite have the old channel information, and my receiver keeps "correcting" the channel when I run the antenna setup? Others have told me that the HR20-100 does not scan locals.

Thanks.

That is true. These all are based on the database coming from DirecTV.
Not sure how to or what to do to connect this.
It might sort out over time, because the move/change was resent.
It might be worth a call to DirecTV [the CSR isn't going the do much but forward this issue], so they can look at the guide data stream and see where the error is.
A.K.A VOS

#188 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Thanks. I'll give it some more time, and then call.

#189 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,384 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Well, I've got another question for VOS.

I heard a rumor that the SAT-IN ports on the H/HR 24’s do not have enough power to run an external DECA. Can you confirm or deny this?

Also, does this apply to the HR34?

I’m just curious about it for whenever the MoCA 2.0 DECA’s come out. (And I"m not holding my breath for when they do).

#190 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Well, I've got another question for VOS.

I heard a rumor that the SAT-IN ports on the H/HR 24’s do not have enough power to run an external DECA. Can you confirm or deny this?

Also, does this apply to the HR34?

I’m just curious about it for whenever the MoCA 2.0 DECA’s come out. (And I"m not holding my breath for when they do).

I don't think there's any DC on the SAT 1 or 2 ports, when it's in SWiM mode.
I do know they can't power a white DECA, as it's been tried for troubleshooting.
They do have DC when configured for a legacy system, and they use BBCs.
MoCa 1.1 has enough bandwidth for the intended use, so "Sources tell me" 2.0 isn't even being looked at.
A.K.A VOS

#191 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,384 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thank you.

#192 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:21 AM

I don't think there's any DC on the SAT 1 or 2 ports, when it's in SWiM mode.
I do know they can't power a white DECA, as it's been tried for troubleshooting.
They do have DC when configured for a legacy system, and they use BBCs.
MoCa 1.1 has enough bandwidth for the intended use, so "Sources tell me" 2.0 isn't even being looked at.

Isn't 2.0 moving into additional spectrum that is occupied by swim frequencies? Or is it just some compression scheme that fits in the same space as the current moca?

#193 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Isn't 2.0 moving into additional spectrum that is occupied by swim frequencies? Or is it just some compression scheme that fits in the same space as the current moca?

2.0 using 100 MHz, where 1.1 is only 50 MHz, but should DirecTV go with 2.0, the current splitters & BSF have the bandwidth to work with them, and it wouldn't get near the SWiM range, so it's doable.
A.K.A VOS

#194 OFFLINE   John Walls

John Walls

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

I have 7 DVR's with WHDVR connected over a wired ethernet network.

I'm not understanding why the HR34 requires SWM;

Why can't it serve other DVR's over wired erhernet?

#195 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have 7 DVR's with WHDVR connected over a wired ethernet network.

I'm not understanding why the HR34 requires SWM;

Why can't it serve other DVR's over wired erhernet?

It can and does.
It requires SWiM because there is a single SAT input which feeds 5 tuners.
A.K.A VOS

#196 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

VOS - my setup is a 34 connected to one side of a 16, a HR22 and 24 connected to the other side of the 16. The 22 has a White DECA in the back and the 24 has a PI in the back. Once all the "troubles" get sorted out with the 34 SW, I plan on returning the 22 to D and putting the 24 in it's place upstairs.
My question is: I would like to put the PI downstairs in the basement and hook it straight to the 16, so is there any sort of shut down sequence and/or unplugging of reciever(s) when I move the PI?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#197 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

My question is: I would like to put the PI downstairs in the basement and hook it straight to the 16, so is there any sort of shut down sequence and/or unplugging of reciever(s) when I move the PI?

If my own experience shows anything, it's that it doesn't matter very much.
The only thing I pay attention to is the PI so I don't sent voltage where I shouldn't. :eek2:
When you're done moving things, if a receiver has problems, rebooting should resolve it.
In a worst case, doing a full system rebooting would start with the SWiM, then the CCK/BB DECA and then each receiver, where you allow each a few mins before doing the next.
A.K.A VOS

#198 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thank you sir...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#199 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

I have an odd problem that maybe you can help me with. I have 2 HR20-100 DVRs and one HR21-100 HD receiver all that are connected to each other through MRV but not through the method that DirecTV installs. I have one DVR wired to a Cisco E1200 wifi router and the other DVR and HD receiver connected through gaming bridges. For quite some time, this setup worked very well and with really no problems. But just recently, the DirecTV DVRs and receiver have been dropping their internet connections while still being able to communicate with each other through wifi MRV. I would reset the router and run the network setup to get the internet connected up and everything would be fine. And then when I call up an app or something that would require the internet connection, I would find the receiver does not detect the internet. Yet it still plays programs from the other DVR. And all my other computers and wifi devices work flawlessly with no dropped connections.

Any ideas? We had a rainstorm go through our area all day today but I would think that wouldn't cause the problem...?

#200 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have an odd problem that maybe you can help me with. I have 2 HR20-100 DVRs and one H21-100 HD receiver all that are connected to each other through MRV but not through the method that DirecTV installs. I have one DVR wired to a Cisco E1200 wifi router and the other DVR and HD receiver connected through gaming bridges. For quite some time, this setup worked very well and with really no problems. But just recently, the DirecTV DVRs and receiver have been dropping their internet connections while still being able to communicate with each other through wifi MRV. I would reset the router and run the network setup to get the internet connected up and everything would be fine. And then when I call up an app or something that would require the internet connection, I would find the receiver does not detect the internet. Yet it still plays programs from the other DVR. And all my other computers and wifi devices work flawlessly with no dropped connections.

Any ideas? We had a rainstorm go through our area all day today but I would think that wouldn't cause the problem...?

Yeah, the rainstorm shouldn't have had any effect.
It does sound like the router is the cause, since the WiFi is still working for MRV.
It isn't clear if all the receivers are losing internet, or just those connected via WiFi.
Your router should have a factory reset button, which would be the next thing I'd suggest. Of course make sure you have the factory password before pressing the reset, as this step clears everything.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall