Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
809 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Which hd-dvr's dont have an ethernet port?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Which hd-dvr's dont have an ethernet port?

I said "receivers" to include the H25, which is DECA only.
A.K.A VOS

#363 OFFLINE   kjsmithtx

kjsmithtx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Just had D* install an upgrade the other day to add an HR34 to my system and change from a SWM-8 to a SWM-16. HR34 could not get activated due to failure on 103 odd and even tests so tech got a waiver after troubleshooting with D*. The HR34 continues to pixelate, get 771 and periodically 771A errors. Tech is supposed to come back on Monday, but I want to see if I can do some initial legwork to help get this resolved.

Current setup looks like this:
Slimline5->SWM-16->PI on dedicated PWR port
SWM1->2way splitter-> HR34 & HR24
SWM2->2 way splitter-> HR24 & 4way splitter->CCK & HR24 & DECA->HR20 & terminated unused port

I never have any pixelation or issues on any of the other DVRs. If I view signal strength on the HR34 for 103ca I consistently see one of the tuners (varies depending on reboots) that is 8-10 points lower than the other 4 tuners. This causes my lowest reading on transponder 10 to be in the mid 70s for this one tuner. Other sats are also lower on this tuner, but usually only 2-4 points. Any ideas?

#364 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Just had D* install an upgrade the other day to add an HR34 to my system and change from a SWM-8 to a SWM-16. HR34 could not get activated due to failure on 103 odd and even tests so tech got a waiver after troubleshooting with D*. The HR34 continues to pixelate, get 771 and periodically 771A errors. Tech is supposed to come back on Monday, but I want to see if I can do some initial legwork to help get this resolved.

Current setup looks like this:
Slimline5->SWM-16->PI on dedicated PWR port
SWM1->2way splitter-> HR34 & HR24
SWM2->2 way splitter-> HR24 & 4way splitter->CCK & HR24 & DECA->HR20 & terminated unused port

I never have any pixelation or issues on any of the other DVRs. If I view signal strength on the HR34 for 103ca I consistently see one of the tuners (varies depending on reboots) that is 8-10 points lower than the other 4 tuners. This causes my lowest reading on transponder 10 to be in the mid 70s for this one tuner. Other sats are also lower on this tuner, but usually only 2-4 points. Any ideas?

This was much like my HR34, where it failed a few like yours. I put it where I had a HR24, so I knew the coax/signals were good.
Which version of software is it running?
Mine got an update and last time I checked it passed the same tests it failed before.
I don't have pixelation, so that may be a sign of something else, but your setup doesn't look like it should be a problem.
A.K.A VOS

#365 OFFLINE   kjsmithtx

kjsmithtx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

This was much like my HR34, where it failed a few like yours. I put it where I had a HR24, so I knew the coax/signals were good.
Which version of software is it running?
Mine got an update and last time I checked it passed the same tests it failed before.
I don't have pixelation, so that may be a sign of something else, but your setup doesn't look like it should be a problem.

I am on 54c. I agree, it should work flawlessly. I did a system test and it passed. Then I did something that I can pretty much count on causing it to stop working, that is activating DLB and changing to another channel. Sure enough, no more picture. Re-ran system test and it gave code 49-025 with text to the effect that it couldn't register swim channels and might have too many receivers. There are only the HR34 & HR24 on this leg (7 tuners) and 2 HR24 plus an HR20-700 on the other leg (6 tuners). Do you thing the SWM-16 or PI could be bad? Really bothering me about that 1 tuner always showing 8-10 points lower on the 103ca. Could you check yours to compare?

#366 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

I am on 54c. I agree, it should work flawlessly. I did a system test and it passed. Then I did something that I can pretty much count on causing it to stop working, that is activating DLB and changing to another channel. Sure enough, no more picture. Re-ran system test and it gave code 49-025 with text to the effect that it couldn't register swim channels and might have too many receivers. There are only the HR34 & HR24 on this leg (7 tuners) and 2 HR24 plus an HR20-700 on the other leg (6 tuners). Do you thing the SWM-16 or PI could be bad? Really bothering me about that 1 tuner always showing 8-10 points lower on the 103ca. Could you check yours to compare?

The 49 error code troubles me.
My tuners are all within a couple of points.

The first thing I'd do is to put both receivers on this SWiM output on the SAT screen, and then check the SWM screen to see if there are any zeros.
With both receivers on this screen there shouldn't be any.
Then I'd have the other receiver exit the SAT menu, and check the 34's screen to see a zero or two show up as the other tuners have now taken over those channels.

You might do the same for the receivers on the other SWiM leg.

"Now maybe" you do have some receivers mixed up as to which legs they're really connected to.

This test would show if that's the case.

If not, then another thing might be to swap the two legs and see what you get.
A.K.A VOS

#367 OFFLINE   kjsmithtx

kjsmithtx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

The 49 error code troubles me.
My tuners are all within a couple of points.

The first thing I'd do is to put both receivers on this SWiM output on the SAT screen, and then check the SWM screen to see if there are any zeros.
With both receivers on this screen there shouldn't be any.
Then I'd have the other receiver exit the SAT menu, and check the 34's screen to see a zero or two show up as the other tuners have now taken over those channels.

You might do the same for the receivers on the other SWiM leg.

"Now maybe" you do have some receivers mixed up as to which legs they're really connected to.

This test would show if that's the case.

If not, then another thing might be to swap the two legs and see what you get.

Ok, lots of info. Putting both in the SWM menu shows all transponders available between 97 and 100 strength. Dropping HR24 out shows 2 TPs now at 0. Put HR24 back in SWM menu all show available again, drop HR34 out and only 1 of the TPs shows zero. Start recording that station and change to another, now 2 TPs show zero. So it appears the HR34 only allocates SWM TPs as needed, unlike all other HRs. Finally get to recording 4 stations and change to a different live station shows all 5 TPs at zero. Then I do double play on HR34 and immediately get pixelation and 771. Back on HR24 SWM menu slowly shows each of the TPs coming back as available, until all are available. On HR34 SWM menu, all TPs now show zero. Seems like maybe a bad HR34? As I said, using double play is sure to cause the issue, now it seems like that causes a loss of communication with the SWM.

#368 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Ok, lots of info. Putting both in the SWM menu shows all transponders available between 97 and 100 strength. Dropping HR24 out shows 2 TPs now at 0. Put HR24 back in SWM menu all show available again, drop HR34 out and only 1 of the TPs shows zero. Start recording that station and change to another, now 2 TPs show zero. So it appears the HR34 only allocates SWM TPs as needed, unlike all other HRs. Finally get to recording 4 stations and change to a different live station shows all 5 TPs at zero. Then I do double play on HR34 and immediately get pixelation and 771. Back on HR24 SWM menu slowly shows each of the TPs coming back as available, until all are available. On HR34 SWM menu, all TPs now show zero. Seems like maybe a bad HR34? As I said, using double play is sure to cause the issue, now it seems like that causes a loss of communication with the SWM.

This does suggest there's something strange going on with that HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#369 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Setup:
HR34, hardwired ethernet to router, no CCK
HR21 DECCA
2 H21 DECCA

I want to take one of the h21's out of the mix to a location where it does'n need MRV. Use it's DECCA on a HR20/700

Question:Do I need a BSF for the h21 that does not need MRV!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#370 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yes, any H/HR2x model receivers that don't have DECA built into them need to have a BSF in place if they are on a SWM system where DECA is being used and they don't have their own DECA.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#371 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

Yes, any H/HR2x model receivers that don't have DECA built into them need to have a BSF in place if they are on a SWM system where DECA is being used and they don't have their own DECA.

Thank you for the quick reply! I might just get another DECCA!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#372 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

I have had WH since it was first available running in unsupported mode using my wired Ethernet network. I recently replaced my aging HR20-700 with an HR34-700. At the same time I moved to DECA using the HR34 as the CCK. I revoked all existing IP addresses for my networked rcvrs on my router and rebooted them all. I noticed that they still have IP addresses assigned by my router. Is that normal. Everything seems to be working fine and they all see each other. Is this WAD?
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#373 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

I have had WH since it was first available running in unsupported mode using my wired Ethernet network. I recently replaced my aging HR20-700 with an HR34-700. At the same time I moved to DECA using the HR34 as the CCK. I revoked all existing IP addresses for my networked rcvrs on my router and rebooted them all. I noticed that they still have IP addresses assigned by my router. Is that normal. Everything seems to be working fine and they all see each other. Is this WAD?

:confused: All the receivers connected to your router will get IP addresses assigned from the router though DHCP.

If you removed the connection to the router, when the receivers reboot, they shift to their internal IP addresses starting with 169.xxx
A.K.A VOS

#374 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

:confused: All the receivers connected to your router will get IP addresses assigned from the router though DHCP.

If you removed the connection to the router, when the receivers reboot, they shift to their internal IP addresses starting with 169.xxx

My HR34 is connected to my router using the Ethernet port. My other two networked rcvrs are using the DECA adapters. Those two are still getting IP addresses assigned by the router and I see them in the routers list of devices?
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#375 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

My HR34 is connected to my router using the Ethernet port. My other two networked rcvrs are using the DECA adapters. Those two are still getting IP addresses assigned by the router and I see them in the routers list of devices?

"Right", as they're connected to your router through the HR34 coax network.
A.K.A VOS

#376 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

"Right", as they're connected to your router through the HR34 coax network.

so then WAD and I don't need to do anything else? Just checking as I am new to DECA but not new to WH...

Thanks!
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#377 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

so then WAD and I don't need to do anything else? Just checking as I am new to DECA but not new to WH...

Thanks!

I have no clue what WAD is, but it's working as it should be.
A.K.A VOS

#378 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

I have no clue what WAD is, but it's working as it should be.

:) Sorry, Working As Designed (WAD).
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#379 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

:) Sorry, Working As Designed (WAD).

SOP :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#380 OFFLINE   cwdonahue

cwdonahue

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

My dish got bumped out of whack and had to be realigned. The technician was required to verify that my DVR was connected to the internet before he left. He hit "restore defaults" and miraculously everything worked and he left.

At this point, I got into damage control mode. I use a WGA600N gaming adapter as a wireless bridge. I had a static IP address configured, because way back when I set this up, I had to do that to get it to work. Change things back to the static IP address and things don't work.

At this point, I have verified that WGA600N configuration and made sure it matches the other WGA600N I use with an H21. The router sees the WGA600N, has the correct IP address assigned to it for the HR20, and I can ping other computers in my house from the 600N.
I have used Advance Settings to get all of the router address info straight in the HR20-100.
I've done reboots and full power downs on the HR20 and the WGA600N.
No matter what I do, the HR20 fails to connect to the internet. I get the ever popular "Not connected (22)" and a result code of 86-071.

Any ideas what to check. I have an HR21-700 configured in my home theater with the same settings and it works just fine. Only difference is that I use a powerline adapter to connect that DVR to my router.

Everything was great until the technician did his thing..... (grumble, grumble)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...