Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

The power recycling didn't work with routher...I'll try the reset and get back to you.
HR34-700(0x009F6)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo HT-R393 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#502 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

did the fac reset on router.

all devices are seen by router...HR22 is connected via ethernet.

Tversity still doesnt see HR22

Media Share isn't available on HR22

MRV not working.

Any other advice, please
HR34-700(0x009F6)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo HT-R393 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#503 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

did the fac reset on router.

all devices are seen by router...HR22 is connected via ethernet.

Tversity still doesnt see HR22

Media Share isn't available on HR22

MRV not working.

Any other advice, please

I'm running out of ideas, so this might be a bit too far out there:

Do you have a ethernet switch? If so how about using it instead of the router, and have all the receivers use their internal 169.xxx IPs?
This is simply to focus on MRV for the time.
A.K.A VOS

#504 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

No, i dont have an ethernet switch.

I've been looking at the router and it sees everything.

I am so fed up and lost at this point. I just don't understand how everything worked for years and now, just like that, no MRV.

It's like the HR22 just doesn't want to be found.

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#505 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, hdtvfan....I can't tell you how many times I reran network setup. It always returns, unable to restart network services when i run it set to automatic. when I run it manually, it comes back with network services started, connectivity failed.

The above goes for both HR's

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#506 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, hdtvfan....I can't tell you how many times I reran network setup. It always returns, unable to restart network services when i run it set to automatic. when I run it manually, it comes back with network services started, connectivity failed.

The above goes for both HR's

Try swapping ports on the router.
A.K.A VOS

#507 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

VOS...thanks for your help. Here's what I just did:

Swapped ports.
Powered down router then powered up.

Went to network setup...noticed default ip address changed to 169.something.something. wouldnt connect.

went to advanced setup...changed back to the original ip.

connected to network.
connected to internet

got congratulations screen (as always)

still no MRV.

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#508 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

VOS...thanks for your help. Here's what I just did:

Swapped ports.
Powered down router then powered up.

Went to network setup...noticed default ip address changed to 169.something.something. wouldnt connect.

went to advanced setup...changed back to the original ip.

connected to network.
connected to internet

got congratulations screen (as always)

still no MRV.

The fact that this receiver pulled a 169.xxx IP shows that it didn't find your router.
Go back to resetting your network defaults and then do a reboot of the receiver.
Check that the HR22 finds your router and the IP address that your router gives.

The HR22 has the double ethernet ports, and this can cause problems as they have been known to swap which is the primary, and only the primary should be used.
A.K.A VOS

#509 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

VOS..

before i do the reset; i want you to know that the HR20 is showing a static ip address when i view it through the router. I don't know how i did that but i thought it should be dynamic??

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#510 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

VOS..

before i do the reset; i want you to know that the HR20 is showing a static ip address when i view it through the router. I don't know how i did that but i thought it should be dynamic??

Static comes from the minute you change networking under advanced.
Resetting network defaults is the only way to have the receiver go back to DHCP, but if/when you go into the advanced setup and make a change, you're back to static.

When you have networking issues, it's best to stay out of advanced to begin with.
If you have receivers dropping off the MRV playlist, then static IPs outside of the router's DHCP range can help, but this doesn't look to be the problem you're dealing with right now, hence going back to defaults should help.
A.K.A VOS

#511 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

so then i should go to the hr20 and do the same thing as the hr22. restore then reboot, right?

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#512 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

so then i should go to the hr20 and do the same thing as the hr22. restore then reboot, right?

If you only have two receivers, then you should reboot/reset defaults on both as either one could be causing this.
A.K.A VOS

#513 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

OK...i just did the reset default to the HR20 as well.

Both are rebooting.

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#514 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

After reboot:

HR22 came back and more info says its connected to both internet and network under ip 192.xxx.x.x Tversity doesnt see it. Windows network dosent see it.

HR20 came back and more info says its connected to both internet and network under ip 192.xxx.x.x Tversity sees it. Windows network identifies it.

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#515 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

After reboot:

HR22 came back and more info says its connected to both internet and network under ip 192.xxx.x.x Tversity doesnt see it. Windows network dosent see it.

HR20 came back and more info says its connected to both internet and network under ip 192.xxx.x.x Tversity sees it. Windows network identifies it.

First question: does MRV work?
A.K.A VOS

#516 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

MRV does NOT work.

Everything seems as it was.

HR22 has no media share, does not show up in Tversity. IS connected to internet, YouTube and apps work.

However, the HR20 still shows as a static ip address...BUT now the Name and Description shows in the Router. Before its name showed as the ip address. Now the name shows as DirectvHR20.

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#517 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

MRV does NOT work.

Everything seems as it was.

HR22 has no media share, does not show up in Tversity. IS connected to internet, YouTube and apps work.

However, the HR20 still shows as a static ip address...BUT now the Name and Description shows in the Router. Before its name showed as the ip address. Now the name shows as DirectvHR20.

I'm running out of ideas.

It's hard to believe the HR22 can find the network, and the internet, but not find the HR20.

It helps to have three receivers so you can find the "odd man out".
Not having an ethernet switch limits testing too.
DECA is so much easier to troubleshoot. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#518 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Since I've never seen this error:

area next to STB Services Port: a yellow triangle N/A (205).

I'm starting to wonder if it's a sign of something being hosed in the receiver.

What does the HR20 show?
A.K.A VOS

#519 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

I think I'll be calling DTV tomorrow and upgrade to Genie. Its really what is the most practical for me. I just have 2 TVs hooked up so one HR34 and the new little box ( I don't remember the name) is the way to go.

You're supposed to have this Friday night off...so, I think I'll call it a night.

Thanks again for your help! If anything comes to you, please post.

Vinny

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#520 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Oh....

1 more thing. I did switch the ethernet cable behind the HR22 from the bottom to the top port.

When this problem started it was in the bottom port. I didn't change it until today. Both ports allow internet and network connection.

Should it be in the bottom port?

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#521 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Oh....

1 more thing. I did switch the ethernet cable behind the HR22 from the bottom to the top port.

When this problem started it was in the bottom port. I didn't change it until today. Both ports allow internet and network connection.

Should it be in the bottom port?

I think it should be the top port, but for me it's been a few years.

Are they marked 1 & 2?
if so you should be using #1
A.K.A VOS

#522 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

OK..so then I'm in the right port....its the top and its labeled 1.

Goodnight, VOS, and thanks again.

HR20-700 (0x07EB)

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#523 OFFLINE   JeffDomogala

JeffDomogala

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

VOS, first of all thanks for your contribution to this community. I have learned an awful lot in a short period of time particularly about SWM, DECA and MRV because of your input.

There appears to be two different SWiM setups:
1 - Ka/Ku Dish with single SWM connection to green label splitter to devices
2 - Ka/Ku Dish with four connections to SWM-8 or SWM-16 to devices or splitters then devices

If I have four devices that need to be connected to the dish, I can either use #1 with a four way green label splitter or I can use #2 utilizing a SWM-16 and use both SWM outputs with two way splitters. Assuming all else equal (cable lengths for runs to receivers), does #2 have an advantage over #1 because of the single splitter off of each SWM output? Or is there loss within the SWM-16 that makes this almost a wash?

Please correct me if I'm off base regarding anything I attempted to explain.

Second, I am going to be converting from a 3 DirecTivo setup to an HR-34 plus a pair of either C-31s or HR-24s. So I currently have a round dish (30" Winegard) with a dual LNB and multiswitch feeding the DirecTivos. I know that the dish has to change to one of the above two options. I am hung up on available tuners like others have been in this forum. In order not to chew up tuners in the HR-34, I would simply want the HR-24s for nothing more than the pause-rewind capability for live TV, which I don't think I can get with the C-31 unless I use a tuner on the HR-34. It hasn't been really clear to me if there is pause-rewind live TV capability on all of the C-31s connected to the HR-34.

Finally, If I go with either the C-31s or HR-24's, is it enough to just connect my home network to the HR-34 to get internet connectivity to everything?

#524 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

VOS, first of all thanks for your contribution to this community. I have learned an awful lot in a short period of time particularly about SWM, DECA and MRV because of your input.

There appears to be two different SWiM setups:
1 - Ka/Ku Dish with single SWM connection to green label splitter to devices
2 - Ka/Ku Dish with four connections to SWM-8 or SWM-16 to devices or splitters then devices

If I have four devices that need to be connected to the dish, I can either use #1 with a four way green label splitter or I can use #2 utilizing a SWM-16 and use both SWM outputs with two way splitters. Assuming all else equal (cable lengths for runs to receivers), does #2 have an advantage over #1 because of the single splitter off of each SWM output? Or is there loss within the SWM-16 that makes this almost a wash?

Please correct me if I'm off base regarding anything I attempted to explain.

Second, I am going to be converting from a 3 DirecTivo setup to an HR-34 plus a pair of either C-31s or HR-24s. So I currently have a round dish (30" Winegard) with a dual LNB and multiswitch feeding the DirecTivos. I know that the dish has to change to one of the above two options. I am hung up on available tuners like others have been in this forum. In order not to chew up tuners in the HR-34, I would simply want the HR-24s for nothing more than the pause-rewind capability for live TV, which I don't think I can get with the C-31 unless I use a tuner on the HR-34. It hasn't been really clear to me if there is pause-rewind live TV capability on all of the C-31s connected to the HR-34.

Finally, If I go with either the C-31s or HR-24's, is it enough to just connect my home network to the HR-34 to get internet connectivity to everything?

OK let's start with the SWiMLNB verses the SWM8. They're the same, and the "old" SWM8 came out first for commercial use, followed by the SWiMLNB [cheaper] for home use.
1 coax carries 1 guide data channel [common to all receivers] and 8 channels for "tuners".
A non DVR has one tuner, while a DVR has two.
The C31 has "none", as it's merely a slave/client to the the server/HMC/Genie/HR34, which has 5 tuners.

The C31 has full DVR function since it is a client to the HR34, and for that matter can't function without it.

One SWiMLNB will feed: 1 HR34, 1 DVR, which leaves one channel free for a non DVR receiver. This same coax, could have another 3 C31s since they don't have tuners.

The SWiM-16 is based on two SWM8s in one package and why they have two coax outputs. Each of the SWiM "sections" are bridged together for the DECA/coax networking signal to pass between them.

The DECA/coax networking "merely" shares the same coax with the SWiM, but has no interaction with it.

"Splitters" are not switches like with the older systems, so you select them to have enough places to connect the coax your need, but never exceed 8 tuners.
"Sometimes" you need to split and then split again to fit the receivers and their locations. This can be done, but needs some attention to how as each time you split the power gets equally divided and if done wrong, one receiver may not have enough signal, while the other have more than they need.
A.K.A VOS

#525 OFFLINE   JeffDomogala

JeffDomogala

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for your response. I probably put too much stuff in one post, so can we take this one item at a time?

Boiling down the SWM part of my original post... If I have four devices (regardless of their tuner count), is there any signal strength advantage by using a SWM-16 with a green label 2 way splitter on each SWM output verses using a SWM-8 with a 4 port splitter on its output? Reading some of your other posts regarding loss, the 4 way splitter is like a two tier stack of 2 way splitters to get 4 outputs, so there are a total of two losses from the intput to each output. The SWM-16, has (as you say) two independent SWM blocks in it (and of course the bridge between the two for DECA), so is there one level less of loss now because I have to use only a single two way splitter on each output, and hence only one loss from each input to output?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...