Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
809 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thank you again!

Can you explain to me what the BB DECA is really doing? (i.e. it takes a signal from the internet and distributes it to ....)

Any suggestions on where to buy a H24/25? (other than DirecTV)

A BB DECA has had the name changed to a CCK, but like all DECAs, [DirecTV Ethernet to Coax Adapter], it/they convert ethernet to an RF signal so it can be sent over coax.

There are many retailers that will sell you a leased DirecTV receiver:

http://www.solidsign...&sku=8546300061
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   RobertTX

RobertTX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thank you - VOS you're the best!

#463 OFFLINE   RobertTX

RobertTX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Another question:

If I put the IP before the splitter then does the cable from the dish go to the "Power to SWM" on the IP and then the cable to the splitter goes from the "Signal to IRD" on the IP ?

Does it matter which "out" on the splitter is used since one is labeled "DC Power Pass".

#464 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Another question:

If I put the IP before the splitter then does the cable from the dish go to the "Power to SWM" on the IP and then the cable to the splitter goes from the "Signal to IRD" on the IP ?

Does it matter which "out" on the splitter is used since one is labeled "DC Power Pass".

"Power to SWiM" must always go to the dish/SWiM.
If you connect the PI to a splitter, there is only one output port it can be connected to, which is marked with the red connector, like the PI to SWiM connector is.

NEVER connect a PI's "red" connector to anything going to a receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#465 OFFLINE   RobertTX

RobertTX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

I think I got it.

If I connect the "Signal to IRD" from the IP to the "input" on the splitter then I can connect any receiver to the "outputs" on the splitter.

#466 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

I think I got it.

If I connect the "Signal to IRD" from the IP to the "input" on the splitter then I can connect any receiver to the "outputs" on the splitter.

"Bingo"
A.K.A VOS

#467 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

On the old AT9 sidecar dish, can you use it with just the center FW9 LNB and without the extra FW2 LNBs? If so, what type dish would you call it in the setup? I guess the LNB could be replaced with a newer one and work. Is the shape/focal point the same on the AT9 as the AU9 so that one of the later LNBs could be used? I seem to remember that some of the guide data came from 119 and needed the FW2.

Edited by Groundhog45, 08 November 2012 - 01:04 PM.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#468 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

On the old AT9 sidecar dish, can you use it with just the center FW9 LNB and without the extra FW2 LNBs? If so, what type dish would you call it in the setup? I guess the LNB could be replaced with a newer one and work. Is the shape/focal point the same on the AT-9 as the AU-9 so that one of the later LNBs could be used?

I think it's time to bite the bullet and go to a AU9.

The AT-9 has to have the sidecar LNBs for the guide data for when you're tuned to anything from the 103 SAT.

The LNBs [AU/AT] might be able to be swapped, "but" the AT-9 doesn't have the needed notch in the arm for it.

The only way to use an AT9 without sidecar LNBs, is to change the setting to a single LNB dish for 101.
A.K.A VOS

#469 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I think it's time to bite the bullet and go to a AU9.

The AT-9 has to have the sidecar LNBs for the guide data for when you're tuned to anything from the 103 SAT.

The LNBs [AU/AT] might be able to be swapped, "but" the AT-9 doesn't have the needed notch in the arm for it.

The only way to use an AT9 without sidecar LNBs, is to change the setting to a single LNB dish for 101.

Thank you. :)

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#470 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

VOS, My SWiM system went haywire this mourning. I am getting alternating 771 and 775 nag screens along with picture freezeing/dropouts on all recorders.

I have reset PI and all boxes twice. I unplugged PI first then all boxes. Powered up in the same order.

I did a system check on all boxes and got various error codes with "can't detect SWM" and "primary tuner connection problem, no SWM channels available.

I checked signal strength and get mid nineties, however meters alternate between acquired and not acquired.

I have not lost power recently and no weather or wind to speak of. The power inserter used to run quite hot but is now barely warm.

All boxes will not boot up stalling at 98% acquired or 771 nag screen.

Any suggestions? I can provide individual error codes and text for each box if needed. Thanks in advance.

Edited by drpjr, 09 November 2012 - 12:19 PM.

HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#471 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

VOS, My SWiM system went haywire this mourning. I am getting alternating 771 and 775 nag screens along with picture freezeing/dropouts on all recorders.

I have reset PI and all boxes twice. I unplugged Pi first then all boxes. Powered up in the same order.

I did a system check on all boxes and got various error codes with "can't detect SWM" and "primary tuner connection problem, no SWM channels available.

I checked signal strength and get mid nineties, however meters alternate between acquired and not acquired.

I have not lost power recently and no weather or wind to speak of. The power inserter used to run quite hot but is now barely warm.

All boxes will not boot up stalling at 98% acquired or 771 nag screen.

Any suggestions? I can provede individual error codes for each box if needed. Thanks in advance.

Didn't you get some rain yesterday?
Could it be a wet connection?
A.K.A VOS

#472 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

We got some light rain but not very long. I'll climb up and check at the dish. thx.
SWiM Network w/MRV

#473 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

We got some light rain but not very long. I'll climb up and check at the dish. thx.

I'd take a good look at all the connections.
If they're dry, clean, and in good condition, "then" it's time to look at maybe the PI.
A.K.A VOS

#474 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I checked the dish and all looks good. There are still four co-ax coming down the LNB into the house, one has a barrel connector at the base of the dish. I'm assuming three of them are cut/not connected at the LNB and the barrel connector is the "live" / test line. I unscrewed the barrel connector and all is dry, tight and has the rubber bushings in place. Should I pull the end of the LNB off to check connection inside LNB?

I tried rebooting again and am now getting rotating 771, 775 and acquiring signal at 98% screens.

I'm figuring a service call is in order.?

Will a misaligned dish trigger both the 771 and then 775 error or is the PI still in play? Thx.
SWiM Network w/MRV

#475 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I checked the dish and all looks good. There are still four co-ax coming down the LNB into the house, one has a barrel connector at the base of the dish. I'm assuming three of them are cut/not connected at the LNB and the barrel connector is the "live" / test line. I unscrewed the barrel connector and all is dry, tight and has the rubber bushings in place. Should I pull the end of the LNB off to check connection inside LNB?

I tried rebooting again and am now getting rotating 771, 775 and acquiring signal at 98% screens.

I'm figuring a service call is in order.?

Will a misaligned dish trigger both the 771 and then 775 error or is the PI still in play? Thx.

It may be time for a service call.
771 is no signal, but 775 is a SWiM problem. Maybe the PI id fading, or...???
A.K.A VOS

#476 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks, I'm so excited to make the call I can hardly sit still.
SWiM Network w/MRV

#477 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I spoke too soon. Just had a great service call. One prompt and I'm talking to a service tech.

Went through resetting the PI and doing a system check. PI would not power up and test yielded a different code than before with 3 tests failed and code #50-70-73-744. Tried a couple more times to reboot PI and was able to get it to start but it blinks off/on about every 5-6 seconds. Am now back to 1 test failed and code #51-208. Dish is off line.

First appointment is an expected (but no weekend football) Monday.

I have never tried to align a dish on my own. Any chance of doing so or am in over my head??
SWiM Network w/MRV

#478 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I spoke too soon. Just had a great service call. One prompt and I'm talking to a service tech.

Went through resetting the PI and doing a system check. PI would not power up and test yielded a different code than before with 3 tests failed and code #50-70-73-744. Tried a couple more times to reboot PI and was able to get it to start but it blinks off/on about every 5-6 seconds. Am now back to 1 test failed and code #51-208. Dish is off line.

First appointment is an expected (but no weekend football) Monday.

I have never tried to align a dish on my own. Any chance of doing so or am in over my head??

51 is a SWiM problem, so no alignment is going to help.

SWM Not Detected - The receiver cannot detect the presence of a SWM on the coax network. The receiver is unable to use any tuners for Live TV or Recordings. The SWM requires that a power inserter be plugged into an electrical outlet. Please check that the power inserter has not been unplugged.

50 was only one SWiM channel was available.

70 is a network [don't care right now about this]
73 is the phone line.
A.K.A VOS

#479 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

It keeps getting more curious. Yesterday about 2:30pm everything started working again however the HR34 was wounded. Big blocks of channels in favorites list were gone/unchecked. All local channels were black screen and the picture on every channel was cropped on all four side and PQ was very low-rez and fuzzy. Scrolling through ouput resolutions did not help. Playback of recorded show also froze. I did a reset and updated favorites list and all was working properly.

This mourning about 6:30am all boxes started freezing and searching again like the previous mourning. Today about 2:30pm all boxes started working again without any issues on the HR34.

The wife let me know today the HR34 has been freezing up on playback for about 10 days. Will be interesting to see if pattern repeats tomorrow am.

If it does I'm going to disable the HR34 and see if that helps.

Mondays service call should be interesting. Gotta love those intermittant issues.
SWiM Network w/MRV

#480 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

More of the same today. All boxes freezing early am with recovery about 1:30pm--Just in time to see the Niners looking not so good.:nono2:
SWiM Network w/MRV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...