Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
814 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

VOS I'M looking to upgrade to a HR34.....I have a SWM and a 4way splitter already....runnin 3 DVR's now with the fourth output terminated....my question is if I switch this to a one 34 one 24 and one client...does the one client have to have a splitter on it since it's only one tuner or can I just use the same line coming from the switch without a splitter.....Thanks Tim

Not sure I understand the question.

You've currently got three "drops" feeding receivers [six tuners].
Swapping one DVR with a 34, means 5 tuners, and guessing you're keeping a HR24, means you're up to 7 tuners.

The "client" I'm guessing is a Genie client, which has no tuner, and can go on the third coax drop.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   kleps

kleps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yes...exactly...each drop feeds 2 tuners....does the third drop going to the client have to be split with a green splitter so that only one tuner from the Genie gets there or doesn't it matter as long as it gets there...guess the short question is will the client work from the one drop or will think it's getting 2 and not work....sorry to be confusing but there probably not gonna let me install myself...wanted to be in the know in case I get an idiot for an installer.....Tim

#563 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Yes...exactly...each drop feeds 2 tuners....does the third drop going to the client have to be split with a green splitter so that only one tuner from the Genie gets there or doesn't it matter as long as it gets there...guess the short question is will the client work from the one drop or will think it's getting 2 and not work....sorry to be confusing but there probably not gonna let me install myself...wanted to be in the know in case I get an idiot for an installer.....Tim

One drop is all you CAN connect to a client. :lol:

The clients work off of the coax networking signals, which pass through all the coax.

From a client, you can setup double play, so it actually uses two tuners of the Genie. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#564 OFFLINE   kleps

kleps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

OK so connect one drop to the client and I'm good to go....also while I'm in here from what I've read if I connect my home network to the Genie via ethernet it will do MRV to the client and the HR24 on it's own.....I won't need the CCK kit and will still get VOD...is that right...if so this will free up a ethernet connection downstairs for my other Blu-Ray player.....:)

#565 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

OK so connect one drop to the client and I'm good to go....also while I'm in here from what I've read if I connect my home network to the Genie via ethernet it will do MRV to the client and the HR24 on it's own.....I won't need the CCK kit and will still get VOD...is that right...if so this will free up a ethernet connection downstairs for my other Blu-Ray player.....:)

MRV will be over coax/DECA.
Yes the Genie is the only receiver that can also have an ethernet cable to have internet access for the coax network.
A.K.A VOS

#566 OFFLINE   kleps

kleps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Now that I'm armed with the right info it's time to see what kind of deal I can get on a Genie....Thank you VOS

#567 OFFLINE   graysonmoore

graysonmoore

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

So I've tried everything I can think of and have read from earlier whole home DVR discussions, but figured I would pick your brains. I recently moved one H25-500 receiver from the kitchen into the living room on the same floor. I receive satellite signal and can watch live TV, but cannot seem to get connected to the H24 DVR in the basement. The H25 connected fine in the kitchen, but doesn't ever seem to be able to connect to the DVR in its new location.

When I go into the status menus, I see Coax: Connected, and Internet: Not Connected (13). I have tried restarting all components (including my Verizon FiOS router, Cisco wireless router, DirecTV SWM power inserter, DECA, H24, H25s, etc.) to no avail, following instructions provided by VOS in earlier threads.

Any suggestions? Everything works on the unit but connectivity to the DVR.

THanks!

#568 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

So I've tried everything I can think of and have read from earlier whole home DVR discussions, but figured I would pick your brains. I recently moved one H25-500 receiver from the kitchen into the living room on the same floor. I receive satellite signal and can watch live TV, but cannot seem to get connected to the H24 DVR in the basement. The H25 connected fine in the kitchen, but doesn't ever seem to be able to connect to the DVR in its new location.

When I go into the status menus, I see Coax: Connected, and Internet: Not Connected (13). I have tried restarting all components (including my Verizon FiOS router, Cisco wireless router, DirecTV SWM power inserter, DECA, H24, H25s, etc.) to no avail, following instructions provided by VOS in earlier threads.

Any suggestions? Everything works on the unit but connectivity to the DVR.

THanks!

This looks like a puzzle. :lol:

The H25 shows it's coax connected, but no internet or MRV.
I wonder what it is connecting to.

To find out, press the guide and right arrow on the front panel. This should bring up a menu with coax on the left. It may take a few tries to get the menu, where you'll select coax.
Check the list of nodes shown and the loss indicated to each.
Compare this to the same test on your HR24.

Maybe post what each show here and use the last four of each MAC address so they can be compared.

"My first guess", is the H25 is connecting to another receiver, but the coax has too much loss to connect to the DVR and the DECA for internet.
A.K.A VOS

#569 OFFLINE   graysonmoore

graysonmoore

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hey VOS! Thanks so much for your help. When I access the menu on the 25, the signal strength in the root menu is shown as: Tuner 1: 95%, Network Tuner: 68%-72% (it varies). However, when I go into the Coax sub-menu, the info screen is blank, the Phy Rate Mesh screen is blank - no details or other information is displayed.

When I go downstairs to the HR24-500 (HDDVR), I get:
Signal Strength: Tuner 1: 96%, Tuner 2: 100%, Network Tuner: 99%.

Diving into the Coax Network menu, I have the following:
Node 0: last four MAC 3215... - Phy Levels -34
Node 1: last four MAC 3215... - Phy Levels N/A
Node 2: last four MAC 4DEC... - Phy Levels -16
(I can't seem to expand the list to see the end of the MAC addresses.)
Dropped session count is 0.

Appreciate your help.

#570 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hey VOS! Thanks so much for your help. When I access the menu on the 25, the signal strength in the root menu is shown as: Tuner 1: 95%, Network Tuner: 68%-72% (it varies). However, when I go into the Coax sub-menu, the info screen is blank, the Phy Rate Mesh screen is blank - no details or other information is displayed.

When I go downstairs to the HR24-500 (HDDVR), I get:
Signal Strength: Tuner 1: 96%, Tuner 2: 100%, Network Tuner: 99%.

Diving into the Coax Network menu, I have the following:
Node 0: last four MAC 3215... - Phy Levels -34
Node 1: last four MAC 3215... - Phy Levels N/A
Node 2: last four MAC 4DEC... - Phy Levels -16
(I can't seem to expand the list to see the end of the MAC addresses.)
Dropped session count is 0.

Appreciate your help.

"We" don't care about the tuners at this point, so it's the coax menu/test that you want.

If the H25 isn't returning anything, then it isn't "coax connected" at this location.

"for grins" [well to really get another look at this] try moving this H25 back where it worked before and run this test again.
The HR24 is finding your DECA for internet and one other receiver.

This "new location" might have a diplexer in the line and this will block the coax network signal, but not the SAT signals.
A.K.A VOS

#571 OFFLINE   graysonmoore

graysonmoore

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hey VOS,

Just wanted to post an update. Figured I would tear through the attic and see if I could locate the coax for the new location. Ended up replacing some crappy looking splices in the cabling and crimping on new F connectors, and bingo! Signal problems solved and Whole Home DVR is now working. Really appreciate your help in figuring this all out. Had no idea that the broadcast signal would transmit whereas the network would not - but now we are good to go.

My thanks for your support - your knowledge, expertise and patience are far above and beyond what DirecTV provides!

#572 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hey VOS,

Just wanted to post an update. Figured I would tear through the attic and see if I could locate the coax for the new location. Ended up replacing some crappy looking splices in the cabling and crimping on new F connectors, and bingo! Signal problems solved and Whole Home DVR is now working. Really appreciate your help in figuring this all out. Had no idea that the broadcast signal would transmit whereas the network would not - but now we are good to go.

My thanks for your support - your knowledge, expertise and patience are far above and beyond what DirecTV provides!

Thanks for the update.
I would have expected a diplexer or BSF to have been the problem more than bad cable or connectors. Either of these [as you seemed to have found] could have been the problem, but it's a rare case where the networking goes down but not the SAT signals, which are higher in frequency and "normally" more prone to having problems first.
A.K.A VOS

#573 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I just upgraded from ATT DSL (PPOE) to ATT Uverse (ADSL2+) and can no longer get DECA cloud to connect to the Internet. The new modem/router is the ATT firmware version of Motorola NVG510. I am connecting to Interned with the earlier version of the hardwired CCK which has no resets etc. I had very stable connections with the old DSL service through my Netgear WNDR 3300 modem/router.

The setup now allows me to configure Static IP's on all receivers and DVR's and the "deca cloud" works perfectly. I cannot get network services to assign ports ( apparently unpn is disabled in the router). I have tried both automatic and manual configuration of Network Services to no avail. As a result, the receivers and DVR's do not register the IP's assigned them through manual configuration as the do not show up in attached devices and they are not pingable. In order to do port forwarding in The NVG510 each receiver etc must have a valid IP addr in the NVG510 table.

Long story but very frustrated with this piece of Motorola crap (ATT)

Suggestions and help appreciated

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR44-200-->Hitachi 50" LCD, HDMI
H21-100-->Panasonic 32 inch LCD, HDMI
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

Whole Home -- Deca, wired CCK 

#574 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I just upgraded from ATT DSL (PPOE) to ATT Uverse (ADSL2+) and can no longer get DECA cloud to connect to the Internet. The new modem/router is the ATT firmware version of Motorola NVG510. I am connecting to Interned with the earlier version of the hardwired CCK which has no resets etc. I had very stable connections with the old DSL service through my Netgear WNDR 3300 modem/router.

The setup now allows me to configure Static IP's on all receivers and DVR's and the "deca cloud" works perfectly. I cannot get network services to assign ports ( apparently unpn is disabled in the router). I have tried both automatic and manual configuration of Network Services to no avail. As a result, the receivers and DVR's do not register the IP's assigned them through manual configuration as the do not show up in attached devices and they are not pingable. In order to do port forwarding in The NVG510 each receiver etc must have a valid IP addr in the NVG510 table.

Long story but very frustrated with this piece of Motorola crap (ATT)

Suggestions and help appreciated

When I changed from AT&T DSL to U-who, I reset each receiver's network defaults.
A.K.A VOS

#575 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

When I changed from AT&T DSL to U-who, I reset each receiver's network defaults.

Good advice, set router to defaults,reconfigured subnet on router (probable solution, the ATT provisioned provides incorrect subnet mask on passthrough setting), set receivers to default and they obtained IP by DHCP. I was able to setup fixed IP's which I prefer.

Thanks again for. The advice!

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR44-200-->Hitachi 50" LCD, HDMI
H21-100-->Panasonic 32 inch LCD, HDMI
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

Whole Home -- Deca, wired CCK 

#576 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Good sir VOS,

I am again (still) having problems with "searching for signal on satellite in 2... (771))...

I only see this error on my hr34. I've made sure all connections (on the inside) are all tight and secure, all unused lines are capped etc.. Ive not checked the connections on the outside yet.

I did, prior to this weekend, have pretty good luck with "fixing" the issue by viewing signal strength, and going through all the pages.. for whatever reason it seemed to work. Now however, I'm not having any luck.

Suggestions before I call? I've also rebooted many times, and this time it seems stuck.

#577 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

I plugged in and connected a Wireless CCK on an HR24. The house has 4 receivers an HR24, H25, and 2 THR22.

The HR24 and H25 have internet and are fine. Yes the THR22s don't have internet, whole-home, and neither even has a deca but are the 2 THR22s fully functional as if I never installed the Wireless CCK.

In other words this isn't going to have an adverse effect on them?

#578 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Good sir VOS,

I am again (still) having problems with "searching for signal on satellite in 2... (771))...

I only see this error on my hr34. I've made sure all connections (on the inside) are all tight and secure, all unused lines are capped etc.. Ive not checked the connections on the outside yet.

I did, prior to this weekend, have pretty good luck with "fixing" the issue by viewing signal strength, and going through all the pages.. for whatever reason it seemed to work. Now however, I'm not having any luck.

Suggestions before I call? I've also rebooted many times, and this time it seems stuck.

I'm no longer "up to speed" on your problem, but if you can check your outside connections, it sounds like a good thing to do.
If you don't find anything bad or loose, then maybe a service call will be needed, as using a meter will point to the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#579 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

I plugged in and connected a Wireless CCK on an HR24. The house has 4 receivers an HR24, H25, and 2 THR22.

The HR24 and H25 have internet and are fine. Yes the THR22s don't have internet, whole-home, and neither even has a deca but are the 2 THR22s fully functional as if I never installed the Wireless CCK.

In other words this isn't going to have an adverse effect on them?

Mixing DECA with the THR22 means the THR22 needs to have band stop filters to block the DECA signal from their SAT tuner.
A.K.A VOS

#580 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

I'm no longer "up to speed" on your problem, but if you can check your outside connections, it sounds like a good thing to do.
If you don't find anything bad or loose, then maybe a service call will be needed, as using a meter will point to the problem.

I have no clue why it would just be tuner 2 on the hr34, which affects only certain channels, like 304.

I unplugged the power to the swm (16) and plugged back in, and I'm my channels back.

Directv is coming out tomorrow to look at everything.

All my other boxes are working fine as well. 4 h25.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...