Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#801 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,598 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

This distance from the splitter would not affect menu navigation speed would it? I moved my HR24 about 50+ away from the splitter and after giving it a few days it seems much slower than I remembered. Granted, I'm getting very used to how crazy fast the HR44 is, but it still seems as it the HR24 has lost quite a bit of speed.

Nope, the menus for the HR24 are local.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#802 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Nope, the menus for the HR24 are local.  

That's what I figured but thought I would ask the experts, thanks!

Would it affect, noticeably anyway, channel change speed?

Edited by keenan, 18 August 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#803 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Would it affect, noticeably anyway, channel change speed?

Only if you used an atomic clock to measure it. 

A.K.A VOS

#804 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

Only if you used an atomic clock to measure it. 

:rolling:

#805 OFFLINE   521bee

521bee

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have a HR 44 with three wireless C41s and a H25 hardwired in. The HR 44 is wirelessly connected to the access point my question is can I connect an ethernet cable from the router to the HR 44 and do a RBR to have a hardwired connection from the router to the HR 44 and still have The wireless C41s work okay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#806 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

I have a HR 44 with three wireless C41s and a H25 hardwired in. The HR 44 is wirelessly connected to the access point my question is can I connect an ethernet cable from the router to the HR 44 and do a RBR to have a hardwired connection from the router to the HR 44 and still have The wireless C41s work okay

The HR44 can be ethernet or wireless to your router.

The Wireless C41s need the video bridge, which normally is DECA/coax connected to the Genie.

A.K.A VOS

#807 OFFLINE   521bee

521bee

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the reply the installer insisted that if we hardwired to the router to the HR 44 that the C41W's would no longer work. So just to be correct if I hardwire the router and do a RBR everything should still work fine is that correct? Yes it does have a wireless bridge for the C41W's.

#808 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the reply the installer insisted that if we hardwired to the router to the HR 44 that the C41W's would no longer work. So just to be correct if I hardwire the router and do a RBR everything should still work fine is that correct? Yes it does have a wireless bridge for the C41W's.

The installer was mistaken.

Wireless or wired to the router, and the DECA/coax network is always working.

A.K.A VOS

#809 OFFLINE   521bee

521bee

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

That's what I thought thanks for your reply he was just so insistent about it he had me questioning myself.

#810 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

That's what I thought thanks for your reply he was just so insistent about it he had me questioning myself.

I'm going to guess the installer knew if you connect ethernet to a HR24 that it disables the DECA, and didn't know that this changed with the Genie.

A.K.A VOS

#811 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

Is it worth the 9 bucks to change from a 8 way splitter to a 4 way splitter? I only have 4 recevers, when they did the Genie upgrade he used an 8 way.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#812 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

Is it worth the 9 bucks to change from a 8 way splitter to a 4 way splitter? I only have 4 recevers, when they did the Genie upgrade he used an 8 way.

If your system is working well now, then no.

A.K.A VOS

#813 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

OK Thanks

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#814 OFFLINE   Jim7983

Jim7983

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

If a recall correctly a year ago I had internet access on my HR24 with Internet on coax input to PI21R1-03 that was connected to MSPLIT8R1-03 connected to my HR24.  I reconfigured system removing coax input to PI21R1-03 losing the internet which did not bother me at the time.  Now that I want internet and reading forums here, it doesn't make sense to me that just reconnecting internet coax into PI21R-03 will work.  Seems I need DECA adapter.

I am not sure if my memory completely failing and one of the following apply:

1) Never had internet on HR24

2) Forgot and misplaced DECA adapter

3) Connecting Internet to PI21R-03 will work

I called DTV and said my only option was to purchase DECA adapter for $50 or plug RJ11 Ethernet into HR24.

Really hoping will be able to just plug internet coax back into PI21R-03.

Thanks,

Jim

#815 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

If a recall correctly a year ago I had internet access on my HR24 with Internet on coax input to PI21R1-03 that was connected to MSPLIT8R1-03 connected to my HR24.  I reconfigured system removing coax input to PI21R1-03 losing the internet which did not bother me at the time.  Now that I want internet and reading forums here, it doesn't make sense to me that just reconnecting internet coax into PI21R-03 will work.  Seems I need DECA adapter.

I am not sure if my memory completely failing and one of the following apply:

1) Never had internet on HR24

2) Forgot and misplaced DECA adapter

3) Connecting Internet to PI21R-03 will work

I called DTV and said my only option was to purchase DECA adapter for $50 or plug RJ11 Ethernet into HR24.

Really hoping will be able to just plug internet coax back into PI21R-03.

Thanks,

Jim

You'll need some version of a DECA to convert your internet to the DirecTV coax network [DECA].

The PI is merely a port that can be used for the connection.

• Sgtsbabygirl1 likes this
A.K.A VOS

#816 OFFLINE   Sgtsbabygirl1

Sgtsbabygirl1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts
  • LocationHuntsville Alabama

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

VOS, I just wanted to tell you that even though I usually lurk I have learned so much from your posts!! Even as an employee, I pick up things. Thank you for your time and dedication to us in this forum!

• JACKIEGAGA, Supramom2000, hiline and 1 other like this

#817 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

VOS, I just wanted to tell you that even though I usually lurk I have learned so much from your posts!! Even as an employee, I pick up things. Thank you for your time and dedication to us in this forum!

I'm glad I've been able to help, and thank you for posting.

The only pay we all get here is from other posters and their thanks.

• Supramom2000 likes this
A.K.A VOS

#818 OFFLINE   jpray72

jpray72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Need some help trouble shooting.  I work at a school and we had DirecTv installed through a third party as part of there DirecTv goes to school program.  This was over a year ago and one of the boxes will not work now.  Originally everything was working when the techs left.  Just had problem over the summer.  Here is the set up.  From Dish down to a 4 way splitter. Leg 1 goes about 20 feet to an HR box.  Leg 2 goes about 35 feet to a black power inserter pi21... then to an HD box. Leg 3 goes about 150ft to a two way splitter and that feeds another HD box about 10 feet away and a finally another HR box about 40 feet away.  Leg 4 is capped off.  The farthest box will not receive a signal.  I have checked the box at other places and the box is fine.  I called directv goes to school department which is the department there techs call into when they need help trouble shooting and they said that the distance wasn't the problem.  Do they make and would a larger power inserter help get the signal to the last box or would moving the power inserter to the last boxes location help get signal to the box?  Do you have any other thoughts to try.  We will have to call our own third party installer again if we have to but we are a small school and trying to save the money fixing this ourselves if we can.  Thanks for the help.

#819 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

Need some help trouble shooting.  I work at a school and we had DirecTv installed through a third party as part of there DirecTv goes to school program.  This was over a year ago and one of the boxes will not work now.  Originally everything was working when the techs left.  Just had problem over the summer.  Here is the set up.  From Dish down to a 4 way splitter. Leg 1 goes about 20 feet to an HR box.  Leg 2 goes about 35 feet to a black power inserter pi21... then to an HD box. Leg 3 goes about 150ft to a two way splitter and that feeds another HD box about 10 feet away and a finally another HR box about 40 feet away.  Leg 4 is capped off.  The farthest box will not receive a signal.  I have checked the box at other places and the box is fine.  I called directv goes to school department which is the department there techs call into when they need help trouble shooting and they said that the distance wasn't the problem.  Do they make and would a larger power inserter help get the signal to the last box or would moving the power inserter to the last boxes location help get signal to the box?  Do you have any other thoughts to try.  We will have to call our own third party installer again if we have to but we are a small school and trying to save the money fixing this ourselves if we can.  Thanks for the help.

Minor correction: the PI must be connected to port 1 as its the only one that passes DC.

So you're having problem with the leg that has about 200' of coax and both a 2-way and 4-way splitter.

That's right at the limit and seems just a bit over if you're having problems.

Changing the PI location isn't going to do anything.

You could add this after the 4-way: http://www.solidsign...Amplifiers&sku=

Another thing you could try is to have the SWiM channel used by the farthest receiver be changed to a lower channel.

If you unplug all the receivers and the SWiM PI, and then power the PI up and power up the farthest receiver first, this should get it to lock on to a lower channel.

Then power the other receivers up and they'll "snag" the higher channels.

This may have been what was done when it worked and then there was a power outage and with an uncontrolled rebooting the channels changed and your problem appeared [which will happen again]

• harsh likes this
A.K.A VOS

#820 OFFLINE   jpray72

jpray72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

Minor correction: the PI must be connected to port 1 as its the only one that passes DC.

So you're having problem with the leg that has about 200' of coax and both a 2-way and 4-way splitter.

That's right at the limit and seems just a bit over if you're having problems.

Changing the PI location isn't going to do anything.

You could add this after the 4-way: http://www.solidsign...Amplifiers&sku=

Another thing you could try is to have the SWiM channel used by the farthest receiver be changed to a lower channel.

If you unplug all the receivers and the SWiM PI, and then power the PI up and power up the farthest receiver first, this should get it to lock on to a lower channel.

Then power the other receivers up and they'll "snag" the higher channels.

This may have been what was done when it worked and then there was a power outage and with an uncontrolled rebooting the channels changed and your problem appeared [which will happen again]

Yes the the number one has the power inserter.  I tried the booting sequence as you suggested it unfortunately did not work.  I think we will have to try the amp you referenced.  To make sure I understand correctly does it go between the 4 way splitter and the 2 way splitter?  I have a outlet available it is right next to the four way.  Is that an advisable location?   

#821 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

Yes the the number one has the power inserter.  I tried the booting sequence as you suggested it unfortunately did not work.  I think we will have to try the amp you referenced.  To make sure I understand correctly does it go between the 4 way splitter and the 2 way splitter?  I have a outlet available it is right next to the four way.  Is that an advisable location?   

That's where I'd connect it because you only have that one run that needs it.

If you connected it before the 4-way, then all the runs would be amplified and you don't need them as they're much shorter and don't have the added 2-way.

Just so we're on the exact same page:

Leg 3 goes about 150ft to a two way splitter and that feeds another HD box about 10 feet away and a finally another HR box about 40 feet away.

The HD receiver about 10' works while the receiver about 40' doesn't?

The 40' coax and connectors have been checked for damage?

A.K.A VOS

#822 OFFLINE   jpray72

jpray72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

That's where I'd connect it because you only have that one run that needs it.

If you connected it before the 4-way, then all the runs would be amplified and you don't need them as they're much shorter and don't have the added 2-way.

Just so we're on the exact same page:

The HD receiver about 10' works while the receiver about 40' doesn't?

The 40' coax and connectors have been checked for damage?

Correct all three of the other receivers work.  It is only the farthest one away that gets no signal.  Checked all the connectors look fine and are tight.  Swapped legs of the 2 way splitter and same results 10' foot HD receiver works and the 40' HR didn't.

Just so I understand the amp will go on the line feeding both the 10' run and the 40' run prior to the second (2 way) splitter.  This would amp both the 10' run and the 40' and this is ok?

#823 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

Correct all three of the other receivers work.  It is only the farthest one away that gets no signal.  Checked all the connectors look fine and are tight.  Swapped legs of the 2 way splitter and same results 10' foot HD receiver works and the 40' HR didn't.

Just so I understand the amp will go on the line feeding both the 10' run and the 40' run prior to the second (2 way) splitter.  This would amp both the 10' run and the 40' and this is ok?

Yes, and it should be fine, since it's only going to compensate for the 150' & the 2-way.

A.K.A VOS

#824 OFFLINE   jpray72

jpray72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Yes, and it should be fine, since it's only going to compensate for the 150' & the 2-way.

Thanks we will get one of those and try that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...