Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#661 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hey VOS, quick question (hopefully)... I have a summer home with no internet, am I able to setup whole home DVR with just a router and no internet supplied to it? Or is there a different way? Thanks Matt

You don't even need a router.

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#662 OFFLINE   tdixon7559

tdixon7559

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSt Joseph, MO

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

You may want to keep the CCK, but of course you can use the 44 WiFi instead.

I've had some issues with my 44's WiFi feeding other DVRs for OnDemand, so I'm using a CCK.

YMMV

Thank you!!

#663 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

Brief note - appears to be heat-related. Further investigations to follow.....

#664 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Brief note - appears to be heat-related. Further investigations to follow.....

Cancel that theory.

Yesterday: was having issues on the opposite splitter (intermittent 771). Directed a fan at the SWM-16, got it to a viewable state. By 9 PM, all was well. At 4:50 AM today, with the outside temperature 58, intermittent 771 on my main TV (off the side with the initial problem). I'm going to try changing the power inserter this evening, then swap in an SWM-8 I have to see if that does anything. I hate intermittents :-)

#665 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Question: If I do put the SWM-8 in, could it still have 10 tuners connected so long as no more than 8 are operating? If I have to do that, I'd like to do so with a minimum of disruption to the existing setup. My thought was to split the one output of the SWM-8 between the two 8-way splitters.

#666 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Nope, the first 8 wins - they all operate. . . why don't you temporarily leave off 1 dvr or set 2 of them to 1 tuner.

• MadMac likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#667 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Nope, the first 8 wins - they all operate. . . why don't you temporarily leave off 1 dvr or set 2 of them to 1 tuner.

Thanks for the advice.

Having re-examined this tonight, I'm back to heat. Intermittent 771s all over, which disappeared within 5 minutes of getting fans blowing on the SWM-16. All working normally as I type. I'm going to get it out of the attic - plans are being formulated :evilgrin:

#668 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Cancel that theory.

Yesterday: was having issues on the opposite splitter (intermittent 771). Directed a fan at the SWM-16, got it to a viewable state. By 9 PM, all was well. At 4:50 AM today, with the outside temperature 58, intermittent 771 on my main TV (off the side with the initial problem). I'm going to try changing the power inserter this evening, then swap in an SWM-8 I have to see if that does anything. I hate intermittents :-)

Having re-examined this tonight, I'm back to heat. Intermittent 771s all over, which disappeared within 5 minutes of getting fans blowing on the SWM-16. All working normally as I type. I'm going to get it out of the attic - plans are being formulated :evilgrin:

You got everything working early evening by putting a fan on the SWM16, but then at 5AM with the outside temp 58, the problem was back. Any idea what the temp was in your attic at 9PM and 5AM? 

#669 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

You got everything working early evening by putting a fan on the SWM16, but then at 5AM with the outside temp 58, the problem was back. Any idea what the temp was in your attic at 9PM and 5AM? 

No idea - hot at 9 PM, but not unbearably so. 5 AM - didn't go up there. Last night, it took two hours of fan to get total normality. Tonight - a few minutes. Difference was that today, the AC was on in the house. Yesterday, it wasn't. Thinking is that it got the ambient temperature down to where a few minutes of fan got things back to normal. My intention is to get the SWM-16 down into the house, albeit in a cupboard, and see how that goes. On that topic - is there a limit as to how far the power inserter can be from the SWM-16? I'd be looking at 20-25' if I leave it where it is.

#670 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

Your AC shouldn't make a noticeable difference in the attic temp. Especially at 5am when your outside temp was 58. Unless you have an air conditioned attic. :)

I don't know about distances between SWM and PI, but my SWM is on the outside a good 50' from the PI and I haven't had any issues in two years.

#671 OFFLINE   mtsz52784

mtsz52784

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

So just connecting the ethernet ports together will connect the 2 boxes for whole home dvr?

Sent from my LG-E980 using DBSTalk mobile app

If you can read this thank a teacher -AND- since its in english thank a soldier!

#672 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

So just connecting the ethernet ports together will connect the 2 boxes for whole home dvr?

You'll still need to convince DirecTV to allow you to setup Whole Home in unsupported mode.  See this thread for directions on how to do that.

#673 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Your AC shouldn't make a noticeable difference in the attic temp. Especially at 5am when your outside temp was 58. Unless you have an air conditioned attic. :)

I don't know about distances between SWM and PI, but my SWM is on the outside a good 50' from the PI and I haven't had any issues in two years.

Thanks for the info re the PI distance. Plan is to leave that where it is, get the SWM moved (no outlet where it's going) and tackle moving the PI separately at a later date.

The whole thing about yesterday morning is still a bit puzzling. Like you say, the attic doesn't have AC :-)

#674 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Just an update. Moved SWM-16 out of attic yesterday, still having intermittent issues. Next step is to throw in an SWM-8 temporarily. I'm thinking there can't be much else causing an issue.

#675 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

MadMac - I have the same issues and my SWiM 16 is on the second story, outside, facing south where it gets full 105 degree sun for most of the day. I never had these issues until about 3 months ago and it was not hot then.

Everyone's advice to me has been either a bad coax at my receiver or at my PI. 

Just food for thought.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#676 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

MadMac - I have the same issues and my SWiM 16 is on the second story, outside, facing south where it gets full 105 degree sun for most of the day. I never had these issues until about 3 months ago and it was not hot then.

Mine was in the attic - I started to notice the odd glitch a few weeks back, getting progressively worse. As I've mentioned, very random in terms of where and when it would appear - it could be perfectly OK on one TV and unwatchable on another at the same time, but appeared initially to be heat-related. I moved it out of there yesterday and the issues were back today. As I mentioned, I swapped in an SWM-8 temporarily, service is OK right now. I think what happened is that my attic fan has stopped working and the heat has damaged the SWM.

#677 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

VOS, you helped me about a year ago with whole home problems. I think I've got a bad link, but I can't rule out a bad LNB (8 years old). How do you get to the diagnostic that shows the signal strength on all legs of the network from the HR24?

#678 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 728 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

VOS, you helped me about a year ago with whole home problems. I think I've got a bad link, but I can't rule out a bad LNB (8 years old). How do you get to the diagnostic that shows the signal strength on all legs of the network from the HR24?

Attributed to vos from here

On the front panel, you need to press both the guide and > buttons. It may take a few tries to see the menu.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#679 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1376534644.523557.jpg here are my phy rate mesh numbers. On the info screen it said dropped session count is 5.

#680 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

It looks like those all say 250 or abut that so those are fine.

What exactly do you mean when you say you have a bad link you think? What issue are you having?

spam firewall