Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
812 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

VOS,

I was working on a friend's setup, and noticed something I "think" is different (or at least different than I'm remembering it :lol: )

Under the SWM signal strengths screen I'm seeing a DVR use two SWM channels always. For example; the setup contained two HR's and an H receiver. When viewing the SWM signal strengths screen from only the "H" receiver there are four "0's" shown (two per DVR.) This is without the DVR's recording or in doubleplay.

I've also tested this on my setup, and verified that regardless of the time of day the DVR's are always "grabbing" two channels (initially I thought they might just be downloading a D* "push".) Has that always been the case? I thought I remembered having to record, or utilize doubleplay to have a DVR grab that 2nd channel in the signal strength screen.

What you're seeing has been there for a long time.
They may not always show the two zeros after a reset, but they always seem to be consecutive channels, so the DVR must be telling the SWiM it wants two and the SWiM assigns two, unless of course the DVR is in single tuner mode.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

What you're seeing has been there for a long time.
They may not always show the two zeros after a reset, but they always seem to be consecutive channels, so the DVR must be telling the SWiM it wants two and the SWiM assigns two, unless of course the DVR is in single tuner mode.

Good to know. I did notice that neither setup's DVR's had consecutive channels though. DVR A would have 2 and 4, DVR B would be 3 and 5, etc...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#143 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

VOS, you may have just answered this above, but I am getting old and may not have followed it correctly. :)

My new HR34 was installed yesterday and they included the SWiM16 and new LNB. They left my 8way splitter and everything including MRV and Internet works fine on all three HR-DVR's.

The power supply for the SWiM16 is coming into the same connector that the HR34 is connected to, and not into the center connecter on the SWiM16 that is marked power. The cable run (HR34-powersupply-SWiM16) is very short (4 feet to the HR34 and maybe 6 feet to the SWiM16). Is this something to be concerned about?

#144 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

VOS, you may have just answered this above, but I am getting old and may not have followed it correctly. :)

My new HR34 was installed yesterday and they included the SWiM16 and new LNB. They left my 8way splitter and everything including MRV and Internet works fine on all three HR-DVR's.

The power supply for the SWiM16 is coming into the same connector that the HR34 is connected to, and not into the center connecter on the SWiM16 that is marked power. The cable run (HR34-powersupply-SWiM16) is very short (4 feet to the HR34 and maybe 6 feet to the SWiM16). Is this something to be concerned about?

So the HR34 is connected to SWM #1, which also can/does power the SWiM-16.
"If it ain't broke", I would leave it alone, but with the PI close to the SWiM & HR34, I wouldn't have set it up this way.
With the SWM8 & HR24, these short distances have caused problems, but they haven't been "everybody will have problems".
A.K.A VOS

#145 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Good to know. I did notice that neither setup's DVR's had consecutive channels though. DVR A would have 2 and 4, DVR B would be 3 and 5, etc...

That's odd.
I wonder if things will change if everything is powered down and back up.
A.K.A VOS

#146 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thanks. I will probably fix the PI issue when our weather gets better.

BTW I attached a photo of my MRV numbers. Let me know if you see a problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0459.jpg

#147 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks. I will probably fix the PI issue when our weather gets better.

BTW I attached a photo of my MRV numbers. Let me know if you see a problem.

I don't see a problem with those, nor will you get a system error with those.
A.K.A VOS

#148 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks again! Ready to enjoy the HR34, hopefully for several years.

#149 OFFLINE   keyoctave

keyoctave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

VOS,

First, thank you for taking time in answering so many questions for those of us on this forum!

My problem is with Whole-Home service.

Today, I had my system upgraded to an HR34, moving an HR22 to another room, and de-activating an HR20.

The tech installed a new LNB (from a 5 LNB to a single 3 LNB one), added a SWiM16, re-peaked the dish and connected the 4 cables from the dish to the SWiM16. One of the two coax cables used by the HR22 carries only the PI (laying behind the unit on the floor) to the SWiM16 middle power input (about 30 feet of cable). The other carries the signal from the SWiM2 output off the SWiM16 back to the HR22. That cable is hooked up to a white DECA box which is hooked to the #1 input on the back of the HR22. All three led's are green on the DECA box. The HR34 uses one coax cable from the SWiM1 output off the SWiM16 (about 90 feet) to the back of the unit.

When I go to 'status' under Whole-Home, it shows authorized but also says 'no networked DVRs found'. I have been on the phone multiple times with tech support. Have re-started the receivers many times, did a complete reset on both and still have this problem. I even cancelled the Whole House service and later had it turned back on. I have no internet connected to either receiver. There are recordings in both DVR's. They are set properly to allow access, share, etc.

I do have the wireless CCK, and earlier did have the internet hooked up. The CCK was hooked up to the HR22 going through the DECA box and VOD was active on both receivers. They both still said 'no networked DVRs found' with the CCK in place. Tech support said to remove it to rule out any possible interference.

Everything else works great. All DVR's record (my wife had 4 channels recording at one time on 'her' HR34). So, do you have any ideas as to what the problem is?

#150 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

VOS,

First, thank you for taking time in answering so many questions for those of us on this forum!

My problem is with Whole-Home service.

Today, I had my system upgraded to an HR34, moving an HR22 to another room, and de-activating an HR20.

The tech installed a new LNB (from a 5 LNB to a single 3 LNB one), added a SWiM16, re-peaked the dish and connected the 4 cables from the dish to the SWiM16. One of the two coax cables used by the HR22 carries only the PI (laying behind the unit on the floor) to the SWiM16 middle power input (about 30 feet of cable). The other carries the signal from the SWiM2 output off the SWiM16 back to the HR22. That cable is hooked up to a white DECA box which is hooked to the #1 input on the back of the HR22. All three led's are green on the DECA box. The HR34 uses one coax cable from the SWiM1 output off the SWiM16 (about 90 feet) to the back of the unit.

When I go to 'status' under Whole-Home, it shows authorized but also says 'no networked DVRs found'. I have been on the phone multiple times with tech support. Have re-started the receivers many times, did a complete reset on both and still have this problem. I even cancelled the Whole House service and later had it turned back on. I have no internet connected to either receiver. There are recordings in both DVR's. They are set properly to allow access, share, etc.

I do have the wireless CCK, and earlier did have the internet hooked up. The CCK was hooked up to the HR22 going through the DECA box and VOD was active on both receivers. They both still said 'no networked DVRs found' with the CCK in place. Tech support said to remove it to rule out any possible interference.

Everything else works great. All DVR's record (my wife had 4 channels recording at one time on 'her' HR34). So, do you have any ideas as to what the problem is?

You need to check the IP addresses for one thing, since you have mixed with and without the CCK.
With it, the IPs should be coming from the router, but without the CCK, they be the 169.xxx internal ones. These take longer to find other receivers than the one controlled by your router.
Which ever way you have it set now, you might reset the network defaults and reboot each receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#151 OFFLINE   BopMan

BopMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

VOS, Do you know if there's a way to get DirecTV2PC to work with a HR34 or HR24? The HR22 still works fine except I get "remote playback is in use by another viewer" when the HR22 is being viewed remotely from the HR34 or HR24. I've been searching for the last hour with no luck on this subject because I thought I read that someone got it working.

#152 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

VOS, Do you know if there's a way to get DirecTV2PC to work with a HR34 or HR24? The HR22 still works fine except I get "remote playback is in use by another viewer" when the HR22 is being viewed remotely from the HR34 or HR24. I've been searching for the last hour with no luck on this subject because I thought I read that someone got it working.

The HR34 doesn't yet work with DirecTV2PC, but the HR24 does.
I had to reboot my router once when a DVR wouldn't work.
You can't stream more than one from anything but the HR34, so if you're using MRV, you can't use DirecTV2PC from the same DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#153 OFFLINE   BopMan

BopMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

You can't stream more than one from anything but the HR34, so if you're using MRV, you can't use DirecTV2PC from the same DVR.

I'll give the reboot a shot later when I can reboot the router. It hasn't been rebooted since the new HRs were installed. Thanks.

#154 OFFLINE   BopMan

BopMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'll give the reboot a shot later when I can reboot the router. It hasn't been rebooted since the new HRs were installed. Thanks.

DirecTV2PC working now with HR24... thanks VOS. Hopefully viewing the HR34 listing with DirecTV2PC will get fixed soon... most of my recording are being done to that box. :P

#155 OFFLINE   keyoctave

keyoctave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

You need to check the IP addresses for one thing, since you have mixed with and without the CCK.
With it, the IPs should be coming from the router, but without the CCK, they be the 169.xxx internal ones. These take longer to find other receivers than the one controlled by your router.
Which ever way you have it set now, you might reset the network defaults and reboot each receiver.

Got it working. Thank you, VOS!

#156 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

VOS:

I have researched this here and I do have conflicts with the INFO from other posters. I think a ground is a ground whether its 15' or 30' away. But I am asking you to help clarify grounding protocol. I want to make sure I am installing this new setup safely. I am probably dangerous because I used to buy the old single lnb 18 inch dish and thought I was an installer.

1. I just purchased a new SWM with a 3LNB slimline dish to replace my brothers old setup.
2. The old ground system was for a 4 cable-port SL5 and it was connected at least 12 years ago and is almost totally gone. Cables dry rotting. etc.

A. I ran new RG6 cable to the new slimline dish and SL3.
B. I powered the new Power Inverter up along with the IRD to the HR24 via 4way splitter. I have a green label 8 way, but we don't need it and I read your signal loss post earlier.

I stated the above to ask this question!

What grounding options should I implement?
What is the best option for completing that task?
If it was yours how would you handle it?

Thanks!

HDSC

#157 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

VOS:

I have researched this here and I do have conflicts with the INFO from other posters. I think a ground is a ground whether its 15' or 30' away. But I am asking you to help clarify grounding protocol. I want to make sure I am installing this new setup safely. I am probably dangerous because I used to buy the old single lnb 18 inch dish and thought I was an installer.

1. I just purchased a new SWM with a 3LNB slimline dish to replace my brothers old setup.
2. The old ground system was for a 4 cable-port SL5 and it was connected at least 12 years ago and is almost totally gone. Cables dry rotting. etc.

A. I ran new RG6 cable to the new slimline dish and SL3.
B. I powered the new Power Inverter up along with the IRD to the HR24 via 4way splitter. I have a green label 8 way, but we don't need it and I read your signal loss post earlier.

I stated the above to ask this question!

What grounding options should I implement?
What is the best option for completing that task?
If it was yours how would you handle it?

Thanks!

HDSC

You just want me to get in trouble don't you? !rolling

Grounding varies by local jurisdiction, since it's covered by local code.

[hope that's enough legal disclaimer].

While a "ground is a ground", how much resistance a connection has to ground will vary.
Copper wire has resistance [in a few inches] that can be measured with a very good meter.
The difference between 15' and 30', might be overcome to some degree by using a larger gauge wire.

Another thing is what are you trying to "ground"?
Static buildup and normal house power, will be grounded through reasonable size wire and close to the house ground point. [vague enough? :lol:]

Now if you're asking about a lightning strike, it's a whole other problem.
In this case I would have the ground before the coax comes into the house, and have the ground wire/rod has large and as close as possible.
If this means a second ground rod, then it has to be connected [large wire again] to the house ground point/rod.

"Electrically" this will look something like this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1298403866

And you want to keep all the resistance as low as possible.

Even this is only going to give you "the best chance" of limiting any damage.
A.K.A VOS

#158 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

VOS:
I didn't think of local codes when I asked. But I respect your non answer answer while addressing that issue!

So is grounding an issue, I should not worry too much about and concentrate on the Deca's and HR34 that are dancing in my head?

The original install did have a grounding block for the coax in and out. It is almost corroded away though.

Not trying to make you confirm any code. Just asking is it a big issue or way down on the totem pole?

#159 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

VOS:
I didn't think of local codes when I asked. But I respect your non answer answer while addressing that issue!

So is grounding an issue, I should not worry too much about and concentrate on the Deca's and HR34 that are dancing in my head?

The original install did have a grounding block for the coax in and out. It is almost corroded away though.

Not trying to make you confirm any code. Just asking is it a big issue or way down on the totem pole?

I hate to know how many installs have no grounds [my mover's connection was one], so if yours is rotting away, I'd look to have it repaired/replaced.
Even if you just copied what was there before, it's better than nothing.
"I've heard" an ungrounded dish can cause "popping" on the audio as the static buildup discharges.
I'd start sorting out how you want the DECA going, since you may have more impact on that that improving the ground.
A.K.A VOS

#160 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks - I will duplicate the original grounding with new components.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...