Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official "ask veryoldschool" thread

• Please log in to reply
814 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hey VOS ... here's a simple one: Can I cascade a SWM8 off of a WB68, either short-term or long-term?

Setup: My mother's house has a Slimline dish with a WB68 tethered to it on the roof, and 8 lines running from the WB68 with four going to the second floor and the other four lines to the basement. I want to take the four lines in the basement and put them into a SWM8. There will no more receivers on the 2nd floor so the plan is to have all receivers on the first floor connected to the SWM8 in the basement. (When it gets warm out I would eliminate the WB68 at the dish and run directly to the SWM8, but I'm not climbing on the roof in February!)

Thanks VOS.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#162 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hey VOS ... here's a simple one: Can I cascade a SWM8 off of a WB68, either short-term or long-term?

Setup: My mother's house has a Slimline dish with a WB68 tethered to it on the roof, and 8 lines running from the WB68 with four going to the second floor and the other four lines to the basement. I want to take the four lines in the basement and put them into a SWM8. There will no more receivers on the 2nd floor so the plan is to have all receivers on the first floor connected to the SWM8 in the basement. (When it gets warm out I would eliminate the WB68 at the dish and run directly to the SWM8, but I'm not climbing on the roof in February!)

Thanks VOS.

"Can you"? it will work.
I don't think DirecTV supports this, but old Zinwell pdfs showed a WB68 feeding two of their WB616s
A.K.A VOS

#163 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

"Can you"? it will work.
I don't think DirecTV supports this, but old Zinwell pdfs showed a WB68 feeding two of their WB616s

Thanks VOS. I'll try it out this weekend.

#164 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

VOS, you taught me before that you can connect a receiver off the WCCK. Will the THR also work from that coax? I know it won't do the MRV stuff, but how will it integrate the internet? I "assume" it'll look like this...

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#165 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

VOS, you taught me before that you can connect a receiver off the WCCK. Will the THR also work from that coax? I know it won't do the MRV stuff, but how will it integrate the internet? I "assume" it'll look like this...

Posted Image

"Assuming" the THR22 is "merely" a HR22 in disguise, it should power the white DECA and work as you've posted.
A.K.A VOS

#166 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks VOS.

"Can you"? it will work.

VOS - Thanks for your response.

I got everything working with the SWM8 cascaded off of the WB68, with a CCK in the mix.

After redoing satellite setup on each receiver I had to choose "Recheck SWM" on three of the receivers, but not the others.

And on one DVR I absolutely could not get the DECA to work ... even after swapping the DECA with another one working off of another DVR. Finally I realized the problem was I dealing with an HR20-100!!!! Once I reconnected it with a BSF it worked just fine.

The moral? Always know the model of the DVR you are configuring!

#167 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

I was reading an old thread and I found these steps to do a special scan.

1. Depress reset button next to access card.
2. When "Almost There" message appears on screen: press down arrow and
record button ON DVR (not the remote) simultaneously until message appears on screen then release.
3. Scan could take up to ninety minutes and again, the only items deleted will be those with problems.

Does this procedure still work?

#168 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

I was reading an old thread and I found these steps to do a special scan.

1. Depress reset button next to access card.
2. When "Almost There" message appears on screen: press down arrow and
record button ON DVR (not the remote) simultaneously until message appears on screen then release.
3. Scan could take up to ninety minutes and again, the only items deleted will be those with problems.

Does this procedure still work?

It didn't recently when I tried it with a HR24. I'm not sure if it has to do with the touch screen "buttons" of the 24s or whether the new software has removed this option.
A.K.A VOS

#169 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Actually, I just tried it on my HR23-700 and it worked. The scan took about 2 hours. I don't know if it found anything and fixed it because I left the room. but at 80% it hadn't found anything. I guess I could have tried it before I asked. Tomorrow I will do it on my bedroom DVR, it has a larger drive connected to it and my wife would have a cow if she couldn't watch TV. so I will do it when she is at work.

[EDIT]
I just did it on my HR21-700 and it worked also. I have a 1tb drive connected to it and it took about 5 hours. It found and corrected 6 errors when it was at 60% but then I left the room and it was finished when I came back. I hope this helps some of the freezing issues I have been having.

Edited by Juanus, 01 March 2012 - 12:31 PM.
update

#170 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

VOS, got a question...

On an HR24, whole home is sent out via DECA, but if you plug in ethernet, whole home is then routed to the ethernet port.

On an HR34, since both are active, does it send the whole home out on BOTH the coax and the ethernet port? IOW, if you did not have a DECA network, and had, say, an unsupported ethernet network for whole home, will you actually get whole home from the ethernet port on the HR34, or just internet connectivity? Since the coax deca is always active (I believe), would you have to block the DECA frequencies from the DECA to use ethernet for whole home?

Im not planning on doing anything of the sort, just curious, as I cant picture how it would work if it was connected both ways...

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#171 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

VOS, got a question...

On an HR24, whole home is sent out via DECA, but if you plug in ethernet, whole home is then routed to the ethernet port.

On an HR34, since both are active, does it send the whole home out on BOTH the coax and the ethernet port? IOW, if you did not have a DECA network, and had, say, an unsupported ethernet network for whole home, will you actually get whole home from the ethernet port on the HR34, or just internet connectivity? Since the coax deca is always active (I believe), would you have to block the DECA frequencies from the DECA to use ethernet for whole home?

Im not planning on doing anything of the sort, just curious, as I cant picture how it would work if it was connected both ways...

It's a fair question, but not sure how to prove an answer.
Yes the DECA doesn't get disabled if an ethernet cable is connected, which is unlike the 24s.
I see no reason MRV wouldn't work over ethernet, but it would be hard to know what would be happening to the active DECA, since you'd need to have a DECA to monitor it. "Would figure" the 34 will output through both, but if the MAC addresses/IPs are directing traffic, maybe with nothing on the DECA, nothing more the the base DECA signal is going out.
A.K.A VOS

#172 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'm in an odd situation, and I'm hope this falls into your purview. I have to move out of my house for a few months (due to extensive renovations) into a place without DirecTV. But almost everything I watch is available on VOD. Can I bring my HR-24s to the new place, plug them each into the internet, and use VOD? They're currently connected as whole home, but they won't be in the new place, and my subscription will remain active.

#173 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

I'm in an odd situation, and I'm hope this falls into your purview. I have to move out of my house for a few months (due to extensive renovations) into a place without DirecTV. But almost everything I watch is available on VOD. Can I bring my HR-24s to the new place, plug them each into the internet, and use VOD? They're currently connected as whole home, but they won't be in the new place, and my subscription will remain active.

DirecTV receivers won't work without a SAT feed. They use/need this to verify the account is active, and which programs are in your package.
It sounds like you'll need to put your account on suspension until you can connect to the dish.
A.K.A VOS

#174 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

DirecTV receivers won't work without a SAT feed. They use/need this to verify the account is active, and which programs are in your package.
It sounds like you'll need to put your account on suspension until you can connect to the dish.

Thanks for your reply. Armed with that, I was able to ask DirecTV an informed question. According to the tech I just talked with, it's normally automatic from the satellite. But if that's not available, there is a 30 day timeout for active accounts, and when that expires, I can authorize it online or over the phone. Everything else about VOD is internet based, so they think it should work without a satellite. At least I can watch my recorded programs. It worth a try anyways, and I'll report back once I know one way or another.

#175 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for your reply. Armed with that, I was able to ask DirecTV an informed question. According to the tech I just talked with, it's normally automatic from the satellite. But if that's not available, there is a 30 day timeout for active accounts, and when that expires, I can authorize it online or over the phone. Everything else about VOD is internet based, so they think it should work without a satellite. At least I can watch my recorded programs. It worth a try anyways, and I'll report back once I know one way or another.

Please do, as the next question would be: "how is the receiver going to get authorized without the SAT feed?" :confused:
The DirecTV system may say it is, but the receiver needs to know it too.
A.K.A VOS

#176 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Please do, as the next question would be: "how is the receiver going to get authorized without the SAT feed?" :confused:
The DirecTV system may say it is, but the receiver needs to know it too.

There's lots of reasons to lose a satellite feed, and you can't expect the receiver to lose authorization as soon as the signal is lost. So there is a timeout period of some length. The rep maintains that is 30 days, and it seems like your position is it's considerably less. I'll know more in a few days.

#177 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

There's lots of reasons to lose a satellite feed, and you can't expect the receiver to lose authorization as soon as the signal is lost. So there is a timeout period of some length. The rep maintains that is 30 days, and it seems like your position is it's considerably less. I'll know more in a few days.

Bad storms have give users problems, and losing power has made it worse.
There is a time factor which was added a few years back, so....
Once this [which may be as little as 72 hours] has been reached, the receiver needs to get updated.
The question is: normally this comes through the SAT feed, but has there been a change so it can come through a phone line, or the internet? :shrug:
We can "call home" to order PPV [through the net or phone], but I doubt they can "call us" through the same.
A.K.A VOS

#178 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Bad storms have give users problems, and losing power has made it worse.
There is a time factor which was added a few years back, so....
Once this [which may be as little as 72 hours] has been reached, the receiver needs to get updated.
The question is: normally this comes through the SAT feed, but has there been a change so it can come through a phone line, or the internet? :shrug:
We can "call home" to order PPV [through the net or phone], but I doubt they can "call us" through the same.

I see where I may have created some confusion. I'm not talking about PPV, just all the free stuff on VOD.

#179 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I see where I may have created some confusion. I'm not talking about PPV, just all the free stuff on VOD.

I don't think I'm confused.
The tech may have been, but you'll need to try and see.
A.K.A VOS

#180 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

The key point in this is that in order for the receiver to know it has been reauthorized, it gets that via the satellite feed. You can reauthorize all you want on-line or by having a CSR do it, but that signal or command (or whatever you want to call it) is not going to actually arrive at your receiver without a satellite signal.

We have seen reports here from various customers who have lost satellite signal for varying periods of time and had to reauthorize their receivers. So it could be as little as a day or two, or as much as a month, before you run into an issue. But you will run into an issue at some point in time, and the only way to recover after that is to have a satellite signal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...