Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Convert to SWM/DECA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   riprecked

riprecked

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

I current have MRV running over Ethernet to all of my receivers. My dish is the Slimline-5 with four outputs running into a 8 way multiswitch.

I want to convert to SWM16 so I can add the HR34. (I am using 5 tuners currently).

Can I just replace my current multiswitch with an SWM16 Single Wire Multiswitch w/power supply. Then add a pair of 8-way splitters and Ethernet via DECA to each splitter side?

Hope I have figured this out. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

That should work. You will need a deca adapter for each receiver/dvr that does not have one built in. Currently only the H24, H25, and HR24 have it built in. You will not need 8 way splitter, you can use 2 four ways (one on each leg).

The HR34 can hook to ethernet for the bridge, or you can use an internet connection DECA off the splitter.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

I can't answer the first part, but I wouldn't use two 8-way splitters; you'll have a lot of unused terminals. One coax from the 16 to your HR34 and then a 4-way for your current boxes.

#4 OFFLINE   riprecked

riprecked

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

That should work. You will need a deca adapter for each receiver/dvr that does not have one built in. Currently only the H24, H25, and HR24 have it built in. You will not need 8 way splitter, you can use 2 four ways (one on each leg).

The HR34 can hook to ethernet for the bridge, or you can use an internet connection DECA off the splitter.

Thank you. I wasn't aware that the HR34 could do the Ethernet bridge, that will make it easier. The rest of my equipment is H24 or HR24 so I won't need the DECA adapters then.

And thanks for pointing out I only need 4-way splitters. Makes sense.

Sounds easier than I thought.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

And thanks for pointing out I only need 4-way splitters.

Splitter. You only need one 4-way.

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,413 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Just make sure you split it up so you don't have more than 8-tuners coming off a SWiM-16 leg.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#7 OFFLINE   riprecked

riprecked

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

Just make sure you split it up so you don't have more than 8-tuners coming off a SWiM-16 leg.

Thanks. That is why I was looking at two 4-way splitters. The HR34 is 5 tuners, and I have 1 HR24, and two H24s (9 total tuners).

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

Well, if you arent going to be using an internet connection kit, you can just hook one of them directly into the SWM16 without a splitter.
Plug the rest into the 4 way.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall