Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quirky 722

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jwjensen356

jwjensen356

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

My 722 died (4years old and very well behaved up until its death). Got an exchange unit. Installation seemed routine but it took a while for me to get 'normal' satellite reception. No problem with the Guide and the OTA reception. Well, now I get the satellite channels but not in HD. The satellite HD channels have a blank (black) screen. All the OTA channels are well received in HD. Is there one last tweak that someone can suggest?

Thanks.
John in San Mateo, CA

"That's not an issue, that's a problem!"

DN 13 year user
Vip722K plus OTA
Dish 500 + 300 (two dishes for 110, 119, 129)
JVC D-ILA 52G886 and Samsung 32"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

My 722 died (4years old and very well behaved up until its death). Got an exchange unit. Installation seemed routine but it took a while for me to get 'normal' satellite reception. No problem with the Guide and the OTA reception. Well, now I get the satellite channels but not in HD. The satellite HD channels have a blank (black) screen. All the OTA channels are well received in HD. Is there one last tweak that someone can suggest?

Thanks.

I had a somewhat similar issue with my 722k, but not the blank screen. All HD channels on my 722k showed blank borders around a streched-out picture.

A cold boot (toggle power off and on again) fixed it. :)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#3 OFFLINE   jwjensen356

jwjensen356

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

After a lot of reboots (and prompting from my wife), I called DN about this. More walking me through the steps with the Advanced Tech and they finally said someone would be by this afternoon. He took a look at the screen and heard my story and immediately pulled a new 722K from his truck (I think he did not want to fool with the 722) and it was a successful setup. But then I found that there is no OTA capability. That is important to me because there are a lot of digital sub-channels here in the SF Bay Area. It looks like another 10 days or so but my wife is no longer growling about the TV.

JJ
John in San Mateo, CA

DN 13 year user
Vip722K plus OTA

#4 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

After a lot of reboots (and prompting from my wife), I called DN about this. More walking me through the steps with the Advanced Tech and they finally said someone would be by this afternoon. He took a look at the screen and heard my story and immediately pulled a new 722K from his truck (I think he did not want to fool with the 722) and it was a successful setup. But then I found that there is no OTA capability. That is important to me because there are a lot of digital sub-channels here in the SF Bay Area. It looks like another 10 days or so but my wife is no longer growling about the TV.

JJ

John:

When a installer replaces a receiver their supposed to replace it with one that works like the other one you need to contact that installer(or DISH) and have him come out and fix your problem.Good Luck!:)

#5 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

John:

When a installer replaces a receiver their supposed to replace it with one that works like the other one you need to contact that installer(or DISH) and have him come out and fix your problem.Good Luck!:)

Installers don't always have the exact model available to them. Any receiver in the 722 family (622/722/722k) can be replaced with any other. When Dish ships you a replacement, it will be identical. When an installer comes out he can only use what he has on his truck, which could be any one of the three.

If you complain to Dish enough you might be able to get them to give you an MT2 OTA module to install in the 722k though - which would give you 2 OTA tuners instead of the one built in the 722.

#6 OFFLINE   jwjensen356

jwjensen356

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

I did not have to wait 10 days for the OTA receiver. Two days after the call to DN I received the receiver, plugged it in and everything is working OK again. (and the wife is happy).
John in San Mateo, CA

DN 13 year user
Vip722K plus OTA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...