Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking about coming back to Dish..a question about ISP's..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mitchinpa

mitchinpa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hi folks

I was a Dish sub for 8 years, back in the late 90's early 2000's. I switched to cable because the expense of having internet through them, and the cost of Dish didnt make sense. It was cheaper to bundle from the cable company....until now.
I know I would qualify as a new customer, so all the new deals are very enticing. My question to you is this: what are you doing for internet service? Paying the cable company too (would be $50 extra in my area)? DSL (would be $40 in my area)? An aircard through a cell company? Any other options?

Thanks!

Mitch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have always had another company for internet. For a long time it was comcast and then I got fios. But i've had direct or dish for TV for a very long time.

Bundle prices only shave a little bit off of internet pricing and dish is cheaper than anyone else so I save that and then some.

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

In my area 6Mb DSL is $40 and 20Mb cable is $45. But my land line voice phone service was $50, bringing my total bill for internet/phone to $90. Dropping my land line entirely, getting cable and an alternate phone service for $10, my total for internet/phone is only $55 and my internet is over 3x faster than DSL. So cable was definitely the way to go for me. However, as you've found, throwing in VIOP from the cable company plus TV service is far more than Dish + Cable Internet only + Other phone service. BTW my $10 land line is Verizon Home Phone Connect, but there are lots of options along those lines ranging from $0 - $25.

Edited by mdavej, 09 January 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

If you don't need streaming speed, I have a DSL plan so slow they don't even advertise it (768K) but it's only $14.95.

#5 OFFLINE   mitchinpa

mitchinpa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for the insight! I wish FIOS was offered in my area, but my local phone company is Windstream. I know they resell Dish, and also do bundles, but their local phone service has A LOT to be desired. Although I'm not too concerned about the landline, as like you guys said, there's plenty of choices, from the local phone company, Vonage, Magicjack, etc.
As far as streaming goes, I do very little now, although I occasionally pull up YouTube on my tv to entertain my 4 year old. So I'd rather not handcuff myself into something too slow...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...