Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Press Release - DISH Introduces Hopper and Joey

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

DISH introduces Hopper and Joey – next generation whole-home hd dvr Entertainment system

· Features two-terabyte hard drive for up to 2,000 hours of entertainment
· Never miss a primetime network show with PrimeTime Anytime
· Records up to six programs in HD simultaneously, including PrimeTime Anytime
· Hopper and three small Joeys let viewers watch HD and control DVR in four rooms

Las Vegas – Jan. 9, 2012 – [NASDAQ: DISH] – DISH Network L.L.C., the nation’s third largest pay TV provider, today introduced a whole-home high definition DVR entertainment system featuring the award-winning Hopper™ and Joey™.

The Hopper HD DVR and accompanying small Joey set-top boxes create a whole-home HD DVR entertainment system that lets DISH customers easily record, pause, and play back shows from any room in the home. While most whole-home DVRs do not have the same DVR functionality on every TV, the Hopper and Joey whole-home system offers the same DVR functionality on every TV, letting customers pause, play and rewind both live and recorded HD programs in up to four rooms.

The Hopper was unveiled by DISH CEO Joe Clayton at the 2012 International CES in Las Vegas today, and it is already winning honors as a CES Innovations 2012 Design and Engineering Award honoree. Pricing and packaging will be announced later this quarter.

The main Hopper unit features:
  • Three satellite TV tuners
  • A two-terabyte hard drive for up to 2,000 hours of video entertainment
  • Up to 250 hours of HD or up to 1,000 hours of SD user recordings
  • Bluetooth for linking to devices such as wireless headphones
  • Picture-in-picture for watching any two channels simultaneously

Combined with a Joey, the Hopper whole-home HD DVR system offers more advanced features:
  • 750 MHz Broadcom processer – the fastest satellite receiver processor available today for a quick, responsive on-screen guide
  • Approximately 50 percent more energy efficient for a four-room installation than previous models
  • ZigBee RF4CE using a proprietary protocol remote with “remote control finder” alert
  • High definition user interface
  • Easy-to-use, fast, graphical, tile-based user interface with predictive search
  • Small, sleek chassis for convenient placement

“Building on a heritage of award-winning DVRs, DISH is proud to be the first to introduce a groundbreaking product that delivers the most choices for TV entertainment by integrating multiple sources of video into one set-top box,” said DISH Network CEO Joe Clayton. “The Hopper gives our customers network TV shows on demand and thousands of family movie choices streaming or delivered to the hard drive. With its massive storage, the Hopper leads the industry in delivering the most entertainment options, bar none, for every member of the household.”

The Hopper – Endless Entertainment Options

The Hopper’s new, unparalleled feature, PrimeTime Anytime™ allows customers, with one click, to record using a single tuner all of the primetime TV programming from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC – the networks that deliver the most popular shows during primetime. Once activated by a customer, PrimeTime Anytime records network programming in high definition, where available, every night and stores them for eight days after they have aired. This creates an on-demand library of approximately 100 hours of primetime TV shows, and makes it easy to catch up on episodes from last night and last week’s airing.

The Hopper can record up to six TV shows at once (two live programs and four PrimeTime Anytime shows) while allowing viewers to watch up to four different recorded or on-demand shows in four rooms of the house, simultaneously. This gives a family a variety of options to control or view their recordings and to watch shows in any room from a single Hopper.

The Hopper’s on-demand capabilities give access to DISH’s Blockbuster @Home™ for $10 per month which is now enhanced with more than 10,000 total titles streaming to the TV.

The Hopper also offers on-demand content for customers with limited or no Internet access with a feature called DISH Unplugged. This feature delivers via satellite hundreds of the most popular movies and TV shows to the hard drive, including transactional and authenticated videos on demand. DISH Unplugged provides a high quality picture without buffering and makes available many of the same streaming movie choices offered by Blockbuster @Home, including premium movie access.

And for subscribers of DISH’s America’s Top 120 programming package or greater, the Hopper provides whole-home music distribution from 73 SiriusXM channels, including album art and a unique collapsible list of music channels located at the top of the channel guide at Channel 99, making it faster and easier for SiriusXM music fans to find their favorite music.

Additionally, the Hopper will features TV apps that give viewers real time access to Facebook, Twitter, Pandora and photo sharing, as well as games, news, weather, sports, and stock quotes.

TV Everywhere

Customers can manage the Hopper via the Internet at www.DishOnline.com or the DISH Remote Access app, providing the ability to control DVR recordings on their tablets, smartphones and computers. Connecting the Hopper with DISH’s Sling® Adapter provides customers the ability to watch and control all live TV channels, PrimeTime Anytime programs and the DVR on their computer, tablet or smartphone wherever they go.

The Hopper and Joey are designed and engineered by EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS). The Hopper works by distributing HD signals through existing co-axial cable in the home using the Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) specification. The Hopper is powered by a Broadcom 750 MHz processor, the most powerful satellite TV processor available today delivering a fast and responsive on-screen guide and a graphical user interface that features channel logos to help search channels, movies or TV shows quickly. The advanced search platform also allows for navigation of programs across satellite TV, broadband and an optional external hard drive.

For more information about the award-winning Hopper and Joey by DISH, including technical specifications, please visit www.dish.com/hopper.

To watch live TV on the iPad, subscribers need a Sling Adapter from DISH and a broadband-connected compatible DISH HD DVR receiver. More information is available at dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/remoteaccess.

Hopper and Joey images are available at http://press.dishnet...r/Photo-Library.

# # #

About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 13.945 million satellite TV customers, as of Sept. 30, 2011, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network’s subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Edited by Jason Nipp, 09 January 2012 - 02:31 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

One hopper please! When can I get?

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Man, this is what I wanted when I got the 922. I better get some consideration, here :)

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#4 OFFLINE   ChAoTiCpInOy

ChAoTiCpInOy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Pricing? Availability?

#5 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

The Hopper’s new, unparalleled feature, PrimeTime Anytime™ allows customers, with one click, to record using a single tuner all of the primetime TV programming from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC – the networks that deliver the most popular shows during primetime. Once activated by a customer, PrimeTime Anytime records network programming in high definition, where available, every night and stores them for eight days after they have aired. This creates an on-demand library of approximately 100 hours of primetime TV shows, and makes it easy to catch up on episodes from last night and last week’s airing.

That's pretty slick especially using a single tuner to accomplish
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 37,027 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Looks good! Competition is always welcomed... well done, dish.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   lpmiller

lpmiller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

man, I hope this isn't a ok, wait till 2013 sort of thing.

#8 OFFLINE   davidmg1

davidmg1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

This will be FREE with a two-year contract according to Vivek Khemka, Dish's VP of product management.

I suppose that is for new subscribers only?

#9 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Interesting idea - but this brings up a question:

With PrimeTime Anywhere, will it allow you to keep a show longer than 1 week if you watch it and want to save it for later, or if you don't get a chance to watch a show, can you single out 1 show from the evenings block of recordings and keep it longer than 1 week?

#10 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

"How will playing cards help?"

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Interesting idea - but this brings up a question:

With PrimeTime Anywhere, will it allow you to keep a show longer than 1 week if you watch it and want to save it for later, or if you don't get a chance to watch a show, can you single out 1 show from the evenings block of recordings and keep it longer than 1 week?

From the press conference ... http://www.blogcdn.c.../01/dsc1597.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

My initial reactions / thoughts with the understanding that all the details weren't revealed here:

Lack of OTA is essentially a deal-breaker for me. I have one local station that D does not carry the HD feed for so getting it OTA is my only option for HD on that channel. Not having access to the secondary channels, especially the live weather / radar loop is also a deal killer for me. Hopefully there is some way to add OTA to it.

The Zigbee remote sounds great but I wonder if the boxes also support IR? Many of us have programmable remotes already and wouldn't really want to get rid of them or have to use an additional one.

Not enough tuners! I currently have two 622s with OTA on both so I've got a lot of recording capacity and find I need it quite often. I guess I could keep one 622 and my current distribution method for it but then I'm tying up a lot / possibly all the coax in my house I would need for the MOCA distribution to the Joey boxes.

I'm glad to see they are finally releasing a whole-home solution though.

Edited by bobukcat, 09 January 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

This will be FREE with a two-year contract according to Vivek Khemka, Dish's VP of product management.

I suppose that is for new subscribers only?

That sucks.....:mad:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#13 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Info elsewhere from Vegas says OTA will be available via USB.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Info elsewhere from Vegas says OTA will be available via USB.

Two USB ports - one for Sling other for OTA, so prepare USB 2.0 hub if you need also EHD.

#15 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Two USB ports - one for Sling other for OTA, so prepare USB 2.0 hub if you need also EHD.

Or use the built in one instead of sling as I imagine more people would want EHD rather than sling.

Pretty nice that you can record 6 prime time shows at once. Or three built in sat tuners. Then with a USB dongle you also get two additional OTA tuners. That's a crazy amount of TV you can record at once. If that's not enough for you, you watch way too much tv.

I definitely want one of these. I'm using a 722 and a Tivo just for space and tuners. So this one new receiver could happily replace both. I'm excited.

#16 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

• A two-terabyte hard drive for up to 2,000 hours of video entertainment
  • Up to 250 hours of HD or up to 1,000 hours of SD user recordings

Based on the above; if HD takes 4 times the space of SD recordings, and that is only 1000 or 250 hours respectively, where did the other 1000 or 250 hours go?

#17 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Based on the above; if HD takes 4 times the space of SD recordings, and that is only 1000 or 250 hours respectively, where did the other 1000 or 250 hours go?

Primetime Anywhere goes to a partition dedicated to Dish's use. I assume they will also download VOD selections there as well as they do today on the VIP DVRs.

#18 OFFLINE   eichenberg

eichenberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

man, I hope this isn't a ok, wait till 2013 sort of thing.

Chatting with CSR now and they said they have no pricing info yet but it will release the first week of February.
Vizio SV470XVT1A
Yamaha RX-V663 DD 7.1
Dishnetwork
Vip 722k
DP 625
Soon to be Hopper/Joey System
PS3
Wii

#19 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Primetime Anywhere goes to a partition dedicated to Dish's use. I assume they will also download VOD selections there as well as they do today on the VIP DVRs.

If PrIme-Time Anywhere does end up working that way when it's disabled, that will render half the hard drive useless for my needs. :(

#20 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

oops, that should have been PrimeTime Anytime. :)

I think you can bank on the space not being available for other purposes, same as with our current DVRs.

#21 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

If PrIme-Time Anywhere does end up working that way when it's disabled, that will render half the hard drive useless for my needs. :(

you still get the time they say you will get, which is 250 hours of HD. More than anything else dish has by miles.

And now your telling me that the primetime stuff goes on it's on partition and is not counted against that? I consider that a huge positive!

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Usually the company doing hard coded partitioning - no one chance to do changes of that. It was same pitch from many ppl, when we got the knowledge how big dedicated partition for VOD on the ViP models [622]. No changes since that for 'new' 722, 722k and 922.

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,708 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Chatting with CSR now and they said they have no pricing info yet but it will release the first week of February.

Let's not all get ahead of ourselves here.

Pricing and packaging will be announced later this quarter.

And how many times do statements like this at CES end up actually being the 4th quarter of the year with an actual equipment availability date in the first half of following year?:sure:

NOTE: Early adopters will feel like Beta or even Alpha testers.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Indeed. Even the new advertising campaign they talked about they said wouldn't appear until next quarter.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#25 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

oops, that should have been PrimeTime Anytime. :)

Not a problem. :)

PrimeTime(sic) Anytime might be more useful if the technology allowed the user to pick which 4 channels and at what time to record. And as I mentioned in a different thread, have the ability to trim shows out of the block to store in the other partition for later viewing. Seeing as how that would require additional programming and it's to be released to the beta, I mean, subscribers soon, perhaps that will happen some point down the line. Well, it's wishful thinking. :)

I think you can bank on the space not being available for other purposes, same as with our current DVRs.

I was hoping that DISH might have taken that into consideration. That the technology to move partitions, without destroying existing data, has been around for awhile.

you still get the time they say you will get, which is 250 hours of HD. More than anything else dish has by miles.

And now your telling me that the primetime stuff goes on it's on partition and is not counted against that? I consider that a huge positive!

Then you would absolutely love 500 hours of HD or 2000 hours of SD. ;)

Usually the company doing hard coded partitioning - no one chance to do changes of that. It was same pitch from many ppl, when we got the knowledge how big dedicated partition for VOD on the ViP models.

I remember that, and the complaints that followed about the poor placement of the intermediary screen, when all one wanted to do was go to Recorded Events.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...