Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Press Release - DISH Introduces Hopper and Joey

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

If PrIme-Time Anywhere does end up working that way when it's disabled, that will render half the hard drive useless for my needs. :(

you still get the time they say you will get, which is 250 hours of HD. More than anything else dish has by miles.

And now your telling me that the primetime stuff goes on it's on partition and is not counted against that? I consider that a huge positive!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

If PrIme-Time Anywhere does end up working that way when it's disabled, that will render half the hard drive useless for my needs. :(

Usually the company doing hard coded partitioning - no one chance to do changes of that. It was same pitch from many ppl, when we got the knowledge how big dedicated partition for VOD on the ViP models [622]. No changes since that for 'new' 722, 722k and 922.

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Chatting with CSR now and they said they have no pricing info yet but it will release the first week of February.

Let's not all get ahead of ourselves here.

Pricing and packaging will be announced later this quarter.

And how many times do statements like this at CES end up actually being the 4th quarter of the year with an actual equipment availability date in the first half of following year?:sure:

NOTE: Early adopters will feel like Beta or even Alpha testers.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Indeed. Even the new advertising campaign they talked about they said wouldn't appear until next quarter.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#25 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

oops, that should have been PrimeTime Anytime. :)

Not a problem. :)

PrimeTime(sic) Anytime might be more useful if the technology allowed the user to pick which 4 channels and at what time to record. And as I mentioned in a different thread, have the ability to trim shows out of the block to store in the other partition for later viewing. Seeing as how that would require additional programming and it's to be released to the beta, I mean, subscribers soon, perhaps that will happen some point down the line. Well, it's wishful thinking. :)

I think you can bank on the space not being available for other purposes, same as with our current DVRs.

I was hoping that DISH might have taken that into consideration. That the technology to move partitions, without destroying existing data, has been around for awhile.

you still get the time they say you will get, which is 250 hours of HD. More than anything else dish has by miles.

And now your telling me that the primetime stuff goes on it's on partition and is not counted against that? I consider that a huge positive!

Then you would absolutely love 500 hours of HD or 2000 hours of SD. ;)

Usually the company doing hard coded partitioning - no one chance to do changes of that. It was same pitch from many ppl, when we got the knowledge how big dedicated partition for VOD on the ViP models.

I remember that, and the complaints that followed about the poor placement of the intermediary screen, when all one wanted to do was go to Recorded Events.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Not a problem. :)

PrimeTime(sic) Anytime might be more useful if the technology allowed the user to pick which 4 channels and at what time to record. And as I mentioned in a different thread, have the ability to trim shows out of the block to store in the other partition for later viewing. Seeing as how that would require additional programming and it's to be released to the beta, I mean, subscribers soon, perhaps that will happen some point down the line. Well, it's wishful thinking. :)

I was hoping that DISH might have taken that into consideration. That the technology to move partitions, without destroying existing data, has been around for awhile.

Then you would absolutely love 500 hours of HD or 2000 hours of SD. ;)

I remember that, and the complaints that followed about the poor placement of the intermediary screen, when all one wanted to do was go to Recorded Events.

Oops!
Counting 1 GB per one hour of HD in H.264 ]MPEG-4[ - user space is 250 GB from total 2000 GB [2 TB] drive ?! OMG ! 1/8 or 12.5% ....

#27 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

PrimeTime(sic) Anytime might be more useful if the technology allowed the user to pick which 4 channels and at what time to record. And as I mentioned in a different thread, have the ability to trim shows out of the block to store in the other partition for later viewing.

You get the big 4 because a) they're on the same transponder, otherwise you'd need another tuner and B) those are the ones with a contract agreement. So PBS and CW may be possible someday. And yes, you can move shows from the PTA block to be saved in your space (post #10).
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

What about App Store ? Any press ?

#29 OFFLINE   kstruck

kstruck

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

This sounds pretty cool. Was wondering when Dish would come up with a system like this. Quick question: I currently have the 922 and love the built in Sling so I can watch my DVR when traveling for work on my laptop or IPad. Is sling built into this or do I have to give up Sling if I pick one of these up?

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

Nope, this time dish found new way to get your money - external Sling Adapter is required for 'slinging' from XiP813.

#31 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 886 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

This sounds pretty cool. Was wondering when Dish would come up with a system like this. Quick question: I currently have the 922 and love the built in Sling so I can watch my DVR when traveling for work on my laptop or IPad. Is sling built into this or do I have to give up Sling if I pick one of these up?

TV Everywhere

"Customers can manage the Hopper via the Internet at www.DishOnline.com or the DISH Remote Access app, providing the ability to control DVR recordings on their tablets, smartphones and computers. Connecting the Hopper with DISH’s Sling® Adapter provides customers the ability to watch and control all live TV channels, PrimeTime Anytime programs and the DVR on their computer, tablet or smartphone wherever they go." :(

From the Dish press release.
m/press-releases/dish-introduces-hopper-and-joey-next-generation-nasdaq-dish-0838378
Thank you and
Best of luck

#32 OFFLINE   kstruck

kstruck

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thanks gentlemen! Looks like another $100, but might be worth it since I can get rid of 2 722 and my 922 and just replace them all with this system and a sling adapter. All seems to be well thought out, just hope it works as advertised.

#33 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

OK, up to this point all the pix show 2 USB ports and an eSata port. If you have the supposed OTA receiver and the Sling Adapter, I guess you just throw out your old USB EHD's? They really couldn't put 4 working USB ports on this thing???

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

OK, up to this point all the pix show 2 USB ports and an eSata port. If you have the supposed OTA receiver and the Sling Adapter, I guess you just throw out your old USB EHD's? They really couldn't put 4 working USB ports on this thing???

Deja vu ? Post#14 ? ;)

#35 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

Deja vu ? Post#14 ? ;)

Sorry, I missed that. On a 722k can people get away with using an autoselect USB hub for their Sling Adapter, EHD, and a usb drive with photos on it?

My AV Setup

#36 OFFLINE   latempete

latempete

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:53 AM

I have a standard USB 2.0 hub on my 722 with my external hard drive and Sling Adapter attached to it on the rear USB port. I have never tried a 3rd device.

As far as the Sling Adapter being an extra $100 ($99 to be specific)... When I got mine I paid up front and then got a prepaid credit card for the $99 I paid so it was basically free.

#37 OFFLINE   wafflejuice

wafflejuice

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:20 AM

Sorry, I missed that. On a 722k can people get away with using an autoselect USB hub for their Sling Adapter, EHD, and a usb drive with photos on it?

I've been using a D-Link 4-port powered USB hub with a Sling Adapter, Wi-Fi Adapter and EHD connected to the rear port of my 722k and it works great.

#38 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

I too use a powered USB hub with my 722. I wonder if there might also be a USB port on the front of the Hopper as well, similar to the VIP DVRs?

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

So, I'm assuming when they say it'll record the shows when Primetime Anytime is activated, that's not entirely accurate? I couldn't figure out how it's possible to use one tuner to get 4 networks at the same time, but in other places it sounds like it isn't recording them in the traditional sense.

#40 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

Connectivity between the Hopper and Joey (kinda silly names if you ask me) will be via coax. Since the only coax connectivity is between the LNB and my 3 current receivers, do you suppose additional coax will need to be run from the HJopper to the Joeys? In other words, 1 coax from LNB to Hopper, and one to a Joey? What if you want two Joeys? Coax from Joey to Joey? I'm sure the reason they chose to use coax was the bandwidth, but ethernet might have worked as well. Sounds like my walls are going to take a beating when this gets installed...someday.

spam firewall