Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Firm

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Based on the ratings, I guess I already know the answer to this question but....Did anyone else watch this? It was awful!

I'm wondering because during the opening on-foot chase around the Lincoln Memorial, I could have sworn I saw two dimentional cutouts (or Photoshop-type additions) instead of actual "extras".

Did anyone else notice this? or was it just me/my TV, or how it was shot.

It seemed like it was made on the cheap but I have never noticed something like this on other pilots.

Just curious...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

I didn't notice any cut outs but I liked the show.

I did, however, see a couple of Cylons though. I'll keep it on the Series Link for a while I think.

#3 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

I strongly dislike ending the opening scene with the jump back six weeks.

The rest was just OK IMO. I'll keep it on the recording schedule for now but no telling when I will get around to watching any more. I read somewhere that NBC ordered a full 22 episodes so it will likely be around for awhile.

Do like the ex-Cylons though. :)

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'm wondering because during the opening on-foot chase around the Lincoln Memorial, I could have sworn I saw two dimentional cutouts (or Photoshop-type additions) instead of actual "extras".

Since I haven't watched it yet, I'll check.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

OK, picked up the "cutouts" effect - my wife saw it faster than I did. I believe it was the result of the deliberate overexposure of that scene as when I froze it and advanced it in slomo the people were clearly extras.

We enjoyed the premier. The show has a solid story, good writing and superb acting. The ongoing plot is likely to be complex while weekly stories I'm sure will be like any other criminal law practice procedural.

As I noted in my ratings thread, if you didn't see the premier with all the backstory I don't know how you're going to pick everything that's going on. Whoever at NBC bought this show deserves congratulations. Whoever set up the schedule is an idiot.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

NBC just can't catch a break. The overnight ratings were a disaster, maybe in part because of the OT in the Denver/Pittsburgh football game. But you'd think they could get more people to sample such a high-profile show with a well-known story.

I'm beginning to think NBC could put on nekkid supermodels and everybody would still watch an NCIS rerun on CBS ;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

For some perspective on the ratings, it was NBCs lowest rated regular season drama premiere ever, and 46% lower than the premiere of The Cape.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm beginning to think NBC could put on nekkid supermodels and everybody would still watch an NCIS rerun on CBS ;)

You may be right about that! :P

We watched The Firm last night and enjoyed it. But we also enjoyed Prime Suspect, Life and Studio 60, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Rats. I missed recording the premier due to an uncaught schedule conflict (I could easily have removed the conflict by cancelling a cable-channel program that would be repeated later). No problem, I'll just grab it from NBC VOD -- except, at least as of last night, it wasn't available there. :nono2:

They just continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#10 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Watched about 30 minutes........it's a no go for me.

#11 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

Rats. I missed recording the premier due to an uncaught schedule conflict (I could easily have removed the conflict by cancelling a cable-channel program that would be repeated later). No problem, I'll just grab it from NBC VOD -- except, at least as of last night, it wasn't available there.

Full reair Saturday night of both hours.

#12 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

We missed the premier also, but noticed that it is ariing again this weekend. The second episode and future episodes are now on Thursday nights starting this week.

#13 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

My wife liked it, but I thought it was oppressively dark and foreboding. Of course, it was the pilot, so there was no room for character development. Without it, I can see the potential for the same traps that befell "V" and "Flash Forward" -- an overinsistence on a relentlessly dark story arc without interesting characters.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#14 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

I think it would have made a better one hour show. Did anyone notice Josh Lucas is a ringer for Grisham? Surprised it did not have the Southern nuance seen in his books.

#15 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

I did, however, see a couple of Cylons though.

Need I be interested?:confused::confused::confused:

#16 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

Need I be interested?:confused::confused::confused:

It's worth a look with these two involved (IMO of course).

Spoiler

#17 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Bad news, the ratings for the Thursday episode were down to a 1.0 - even lower than Prime Suspect got in that time slot before it was cancelled.

Is that the sound of an axe about to swing?

#18 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

Watched the pilot and the first episode today (snowy weather here, so it's a stay-at-home saturday...) Yeah, the pilot was slow, especially the first hour and the double flash-back at the beginning was a bit annoying. But I'd say the show improved in the second hour and in the first one-hour episode.

It's difficult to judge the show without thinking of the movie. The show doesn't have the exhilarating tension of the movie and in some ways the visual references to the movie only make it worse. I also think the actress playing Abby, the wife, is fairly weak here, with no real definition.

And as much as I like Callum Keith Rennie, his Ray is nothing like the Ray in the movie - hapless bumbler vs. smart and streetwise. In several scenes I thought he upstaged Josh Lucas, which a supporting character shouldn't do.

Sounds like a hate the show, but I don't really, it's not half bad, but it just doesn't stand up to what was a roller-coaster ride fun time of a movie.

#19 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Looks like The Firm is being sent to Saturday night to die quietly. Link

I've only seen the pilot, have the rest recorded. Is it worth bothering with?

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

Personally I don't think so. It's one thing for a great series that just can't get the ratings, but The Firm just isn't one of them.

spam firewall