Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Broken discs from Blockbuster mailing -- 0 for 2

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

DISH isn't that integrated with BB yet, it's still being worked on. ... New acquisitions take time to iron out. DISH has only owned BB a few months, and a lot of people are already asking for a large number of changes to how both companies do business. Give it some time (in corporate time that means at least 2 years).

That's a lousy excuse, in my opinion. Dish shouldn't have rolled out something half-baked. All these random things that they are throwing into Dish (multiple online system websites, conflicting ways to order movies online, this rental thing) show a lack of organization, confuses Dish customers and damages Dish Networks reputation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

No problem here. Never received a broken disc. Had one scratched that would have issues playing but i've had plenty of those with netflix. They replaced it quickly.

#23 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

The reason I asked was I kept ordering the same movie each time the movie came broken, and NetFlix kept sending it back to me, even though I told them it was broke. This was over 3 years ago. So how I figured it out that they kept sending the same broken disc was I put a mark with a sharpie on the DVD and sure enough it came back to me 2 times. After that, I moved on to a different movie:)

I think you were right. I called Blockbuster and kept hitting 0 past all the prompts and things. When I got to a person I explained that I didn't have any BB account but she knew about this Dish thing and was able to access my queue. She told me to hold onto the broken DVD and she had another one sent to me.

I'm happy to announce that a disc has arrived intact from BB!

Probably, Blockbuster was indeed sending the broken disc back to me time after time.

Sorry to be so down about this. But I've had bad experiences with Dish recently because I'm trying to use their offering. The Blockbuster search page is terrible, you think they would have learned a thing or two from www.imdb.com. So it's a chore to find movies to add to the queue. I guess the lesson is that if you end up seeing some value from Blockbuster, you might want to upgrade... to Netflix.

#24 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

...I guess the lesson is that if you end up seeing some value from Blockbuster, you might want to upgrade... to Netflix.

I see plenty of value from Blockbuster.
Had the platinum deal already so when they started the blockbuster 1 disc deal it didn't cost me anything. I signed up two people for Dish thru ClubDish and began receiving $5 off my monthly bill per person so I upgraded to the three disc deal.
Three discs at a time from Blockbuster and my bill is exactly the same as before when I was receiving zero discs...that says plenty of value from Blockbuster to me!

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

My third try at the service arrived today --- cracked again. That's three discs in a row, all which have a straight crack from the center to the outer edge.

Does your carrier rubber band your mail? If so, ask them to knock it off.

It sounds from the description like they're trying to fold the discs like they sometimes do with larger mail pieces.

I recall when I was in college getting a 45rpm single in the mail (Dead Kennedy's Nazi Punks) and it didn't seem to matter to the carrier that the box wasn't big enough to hold the record without bending it. The mailer was marked "DO NOT BEND" on both sides.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

Since the program has began I have gotten, perhaps, a dozen disks thru the mail and have not had a problem with any of them. Also seem to take only 2 days to arrive and return...

#27 OFFLINE   cutrock

cutrock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have been dealing with BB regarding broken discs. I would really like to see BB succeed, so I have persisted in allowing them to resend a new copy of the title I ordered. So far, I have received the disk broken FIVE times in a row. BB is having me write on the sleeve of the disk that I received it damaged, and have me hold onto the disk while they send me another. After I had reported the 5th broken disc (same title) in a row today, they suggested that it is the post office's fault and to contact them. I countered that I've been a Netflix customer for 5 years, and have NEVER received a cracked disc from the post office. Also noted that Netflix's envelope is larger than BB's, so maybe that causes a different routing that prevents the disc from being broken? Does anyone have any new feedback on this issue?

#28 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

I have streamed over one hundred movies from Netflix. None of them have been cracked. :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#29 OFFLINE   Wolfpanther

Wolfpanther

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I received pictures that had cardboard in the envelope once that were marked do not roll. The mail carrier bent the envelope to put into the mail box. When I went into the post office and complained, the branch manager brought out the postal code and showed me a passage that said, the package must say Do not roll, bend or fold. If it doesn't they were within their rights to bend the envelope.

I've also gotten broken discs from both Blockbuster and Netflix. Unless you call Blockbuster and they have you hold the disc, it's usually the same one they keep sending.

#30 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've had the BB disc deal since September (so about 25-30 discs give or take) and not had a single problem with broken discs. Had a couple of packages pretty ripped up (that is all on the postal service) bit the discs were there and worked fine.

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

I've received about 15 discs and one had what looked like a booger on it but when I carefully removed it, the disc was fine.

I had one that came with the envelope open on the end but the disc was still there.

I'd be suspicious of two possible sources:

1. Your mail carrier

2. The BB distribution center

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#32 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Actually, I am not very happy. Every Bluray I have received had deep circular scratches and did not play. (I only had one bad DVD so far) but the big problem is that I have 22 disks in my queue and out of 12 blueray only 2 are available, 7 are short wait (some have been short wait for over a month now!) and 5 are long wait).
4 dvds are available now, the other 6 are listed as unavailable, which makes me wonder why I can even queue them. I leave them in just to see what happens.

It's a nice idea but it sucks in practice. If I want to watch a bluray I guess I still need to buy it since the once I buy new locally play just fine!

I find it very interesting that the last damaged disc I reported seems to flag my account saying that I had too many damaged discs. I am not the one putting deep circular scratches on them right out of the envelope
If it was not basically a free add on for the old HD platinum tier (which has programming I want) I would be very upset. It's really a no value add on that Dish can use for advetising hype but don't expect anything from it unless Blockbuster changes it's tactics, which if you check online, have been happening since they started their mail service and the complaints are well documented.
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

#33 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Got my next bluray disc and it was bad again. "Rise of the planet of the apes" played halfway through and died at chapter 13. This time I took it to my local Blockbuster store and it would not even load on their bluray. Then it would not eject. They gave me a replacement copy which played PERFECTLY.
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

#34 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Perhaps BB will interface with Dish as they are moving BlockBuster headquarters from Texas to Denver I believe it was scheduled in June.
As per the Denver Post

This is a problem.

I still have Dish Platinum on my account as the 30th Anniversary 12 month freebie. It should expire February1. Here's a screenshot:

Posted Image

I, of course, want to continue Platinum. But my understanding is Dish Network has chosen to no longer sell it.

Dish Network sells Blockbuster Movie Pass with the channels I want from the old Platinum. It's $10.00 a month. I will pay it to Dish Network, of which Blockbuster is a division.

At a minimum, if I pay Dish Network for channels it provides and discs its Blockbuster division provides, I would expect to be able to call Dish Network about a problem.

Perhaps the Dish Network employee I talk to will have to say: "Gee, I'm really sorry that happened to you. Let me transfer you to one of our Blockbuster service problem resolution representatives." And then the Dish Network employee...
  • (a) transfers my call to someone who probably works for Blockbuster but whose name or other ID is known to the Dish Network employee and
  • (B) makes a notation on my account about the contact so that should my problem not be resolved there will be a record.
You see, if in two weeks I pay Dish for its Blockbuster Movie Pass package and something is wrong with the service I pay Dish for, I will expect Dish to be able to handle it just as I have for many, many, many years.

Matt, I understand that establishing the policy of how things are handled right now was, or should have been, established by the top corporate officers who made the determination to buy Blockbuster and combine it with Dish Network. After all, they were cautiously planning the future of two of their divisions.

I hope you can pass my suggestion for a policy change up the chain of command to corporate.

#35 OFFLINE   Disgusted with Dish

Disgusted with Dish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

I've had bad discs (none broken) from Netflix, but Blockbuster through Dish Network takes the cake. Their quality control leaves something to be desired, I think. It seems as though one disc in four has some sort of playback problem, usually half way through the movie. I purchased a new Blueray player thinking this would solve the problem, but it didn't. "Wipe the discs with a soft, clean rag, they say." Yea, right. Whatever.

#36 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

How do you know the damage isn't happening in transit? I've had 0 issues with blockbuster while having many with netflix. But either way they send another disk out right away so I have no hard feelings toward either.

#37 OFFLINE   JW7677

JW7677

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

I had Netfix for a few years and never had a cracked disc. Since Dish offered Blockbuster I've had two cracked discs. They are quick to replace them, and the service is free, but still...

#38 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Here's another improvement request:

* Show availability in the search page results.

I had a good run of search results and recently added a bunch of movies to my queue. I was excited to finally have some disc be delivered, after such a long wait. But I guess somebody walked the shelves and only 1/4 of the discs in my queue are "available". Most of the discs that I added are "Not currently available on disc" with an availability of 'unknown'.

Dish/BB continues to disappoint. Didn't it show availability a month or two ago? Right now, search results say "Available:" and give you a "Get It" button. And you don't find out until you go back to your queue that the disc isn't available at all.

#39 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Ive had blockbuster Online since it launched back in 2004 and out of about 700 movies Ive had delivered since I can only remember getting 1 cracked disc and 2 excessively scratched discs that wouldnt play (1 of which was a blu ray). Ive gotten a couple of wrong discs as well, but overall I don't have much bad to say about the service other than I no longer have any local stores to do instore returns and games to because they closed them all, but my subscription price had been grandfathered in @ $19.99 since 2007 when they raised rates.

My biggest gripe as of late is that they seem to have changed the envelopes recently and the adhesive on the seal seems to be not as good, Ive had to use tape numerous times to tape the mailer shut to send movies back.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...