Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WHDH,WLVI (Boston) WSVN (Miami) 1/13 Carriage Dispute

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Generally, people only care about two things, programming and cost.

I agree with you, but....

3 here - I also care about quality.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   satwood

satwood

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

(1) Buzz word for profit? Without profit there would be no channel 7, Sunbeam, D* or even the NFL. If your perceived value for their products falls below the cost of their products, then stop buying their products. Don't whine about it, just stop consuming.

(2) Ever been involved in negotiations? BTW, D* usually wins these things.

(3) Buzz word for 'reason'? Of course there is a reason this is happening.

(4) You won't, uh - you will? Contradiction......

(5) Okay, your decision, but why go down with them? There are alternatives, especially for $120 per month!

So, I think there is a difference between profit and greed. And, yes, I've been involved in lots of corporate negotiations. I'm sure in this case like many others there is someone on each side banging his fist on the table saying the other guys is not going to get a dime. A good negotiation ends with both parties doing profitable and productive business with each other.

This sounds a lot more like short-sighted greed to me than a well considered business negotiation but that's just my opinion.

Your #4 point is well taken. :)

I don't have the option of over the air reception. We're in a region of MA where the digital signals are poor. Therefore, I only have the pay-carrier options. But you are right, no point in complaining. I'll make a business decision on my own.
Technology Consultant
1 - H20, 2 - D11, 1 - H21
AT-9 Dish, DirecTV since 2000

#83 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

If you or anyone else is considering an antenna, try this for your location first:

http://www.antennawe...aw/Address.aspx

BTW, I think the odds D* will have the Superbowl for us is about 95%! :D

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#84 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

If you or anyone else is considering an antenna, try this for your location first:

http://www.antennawe...aw/Address.aspx

BTW, I think the odds D* will have the Superbowl for us is about 95%! :D

I agree, there is to much at stake for the game not to be carried by WHDH. I would guess the Advertisers may start leaning hard on Sunbeam

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#85 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

I for one would be satisified with a permanant switch for worcester county to WJAR out of Providence. I think DTV should wield that as a threat. Sunbeam would lose the whole county of DTV customers. It's not a small number either because cable is harder to come by out here.

I do get 7 off my antenna though so I'm not really hurting either way. One thing that is apparent to me now though. The only show I record on NBC is SNL. I didn't realize how little we watch NBC until now. My kids are actually more annoyed at the CW loss because I don't have the antenna wired everywhere in the house.

steve

#86 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

DirecTV's facebook page is saying we'll be able to watch the game but it looks far from an official announcement.

DirecTV has historically unblocked the appropriate DNS channel nationally during the Super Bowl, mainly in case there are technical issues with their transmission/distribution any of the local channels carrying the game. It's not something they can officially advertise, but it's been there as an emergency option in the past.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#87 OFFLINE   mcl77

mcl77

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

i know im in the minority here, but i could really care less about the super bowl. thats only one game that i could watch at any party being thrown that day.

I really only care about the NHL games on nbc, the news, and a couple shows on 56.

I dont understand how direct tv can pull a local channel like this while increasing monthly payments. I could care less if they air the super bowl. What about all the hockey games airing on nbc. Are they going to air those as well?

If I complain enough will they take some $$ off my monthly bill? I remember they did this when they were in dispute with versus.

#88 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

i know im in the minority here, but i could really care less about the super bowl. thats only one game that i could watch at any party being thrown that day.

I really only care about the NHL games on nbc, the news, and a couple shows on 56.

(1) I dont understand how direct tv can pull a local channel like this while increasing monthly payments. I could care less if they air the super bowl. What about all the hockey games airing on nbc. Are they going to air those as well?

(2) If I complain enough will they take some $$ off my monthly bill? I remember they did this when they were in dispute with versus.

(1) D* didn't pull them, Sunbeam (the owner of those stations) did. D* has asked them repeatedly to allow them to carry the stations while negotiations continue.

(2) Some have reported some success just for asking. IMHO, it depends on the CSR that answers the phone when you call.

#89 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Would complaining to NBC directly be a.) possible and b.) effective?

#90 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Would complaining to NBC directly be a.) possible and b.) effective?

No - Sunbeam is the one with the control. There are three stations involved in this dispute right now, their Fox affiliate in Miami, and their NBC & CW affiliates in Boston.

Telling Sunbeam you will never watch their station again, especially if you have the choice (like I do) may be more effective. They make their money showing their advertising clients their viewership numbers and charging accordingly.

That is why, BTW, they allowed their Miami Fox station to show the game on Sunday as well as Idol the other night - the two biggest ratings draws on that station. Sunbeam blinked first, IMHO.

In my case, I can get the Providence NBC station OTA, so channel 7 is dead in my eyes now, so to speak. :lol:

#91 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Telling Sunbeam you will never watch their station again, especially if you have the choice (like I do) may be more effective. :

I emailed WSVN (Miami Fox) and politely told them what I thought of their actions and indicated I could watch my local news(big profit center for local stations) on one of their competitors stations. I never got ANY response.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#92 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

I emailed WSVN (Miami Fox) and politely told them what I thought of their actions and indicated I could watch my local news(big profit center for local stations) on one of their competitors stations. I never got ANY response.

What a shock. (yes, sarcastic) :rolleyes:

#93 OFFLINE   satwood

satwood

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

It appears that Scott Brown and the MA legislature are now involved.

http://www.bostonher...ts#CommentsArea

#94 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

(1) D* didn't pull them, Sunbeam (the owner of those stations) did. D* has asked them repeatedly to allow them to carry the stations while negotiations continue.

(2) Some have reported some success just for asking. IMHO, it depends on the CSR that answers the phone when you call.

When I called last week I was told no but to sit tight. I wonder what they would say now. They were not willing to budge on giving me ch 392. Even though I'm a "loyal customer"

#95 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

When I called last week I was told no but to sit tight. I wonder what they would say now. They were not willing to budge on giving me ch 392. Even though I'm a "loyal customer"

Loyal customer or not, they have to follow the law.
DogLover

My Setup

#96 OFFLINE   satwood

satwood

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

The Q&A section of the D* website says that everyone's accounts have been reviewed and those eligible for NBC DNS service have already been activated. I don't fault D* for this issue. The DNS rules are very restrictive and unreasonable, but that is a federal telecom law issue. I'm sure Sunbeam would use any violation of that rule as a weapon.

Maybe this is the beginning of a long slow death of local TV. As pay-carriers get hijacked by stations, they drop the stations and replace the programming with something less expensive. The pay carriers won't reduce their fees so they make more, and viewers will get used to not having local stations anymore. Then comes the internet and we might not even need the pay-carriers some day...

#97 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

It appears that Scott Brown and the MA legislature are now involved.

http://www.bostonher...ts#CommentsArea

Actually, it's the Massachusetts Congressional delegation that are now involved.

#98 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

I did call D* again and basically said Id look for another provider if I couldnt get 392 NBC east. The guy was nice enough and put my application in but I could tell he couldnt give a rats ass if I stayed with D* or not.

#99 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Actually, it's the Massachusetts Congressional delegation that are now involved.

If you saw John Kerry last night, the response wasn't favorable.

#100 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

No - Sunbeam is the one with the control. There are three stations involved in this dispute right now, their Fox affiliate in Miami, and their NBC & CW affiliates in Boston.

Telling Sunbeam you will never watch their station again, especially if you have the choice (like I do) may be more effective. They make their money showing their advertising clients their viewership numbers and charging accordingly.

That is why, BTW, they allowed their Miami Fox station to show the game on Sunday as well as Idol the other night - the two biggest ratings draws on that station. Sunbeam blinked first, IMHO.

In my case, I can get the Providence NBC station OTA, so channel 7 is dead in my eyes now, so to speak. :lol:

Networks are the ones in control. They have the option to pull their network programming off an affiliate at any time. Sunbeam was obligated to run that game and Idol or risk losing their Fox affiliation to another company. Networks would rather see their Primetime programming run tape-delayed on another networks affiliate in a market than not air at all.

spam firewall