Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WHDH,WLVI (Boston) WSVN (Miami) 1/13 Carriage Dispute

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,568 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Networks are the ones in control. They have the option to pull their network programming off an affiliate at any time. Sunbeam was obligated to run that game and Idol or risk losing their Fox affiliation to another company. Networks would rather see their Primetime programming run tape-delayed on another networks affiliate in a market than not air at all.

I don't think so........

If Fox or NBC or CW had that much control in this case, none of their programming would be blacked out. It's the owner of the stations, and has been reported as such.

You are correct in that a network can pull their programming, but they can't make an affiliate show it. Affiliates have refused to air certain programs in the past.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hey people look;

I definitely feel for you, but you've really got to stop blaming, pleading, or trying to otherwise pressure DIRECTV to turn on DNS service for you. I assure you the rules are very restrictive on that service and carry heavy penalties if an MSO violates them.

This is something Dish Network can attest to. They were caught in violation of DNS rules a while back and had their license to "directly" offer the service suspended for some four years as a result.

The problem is the government really has got to change the rules (and I know that's asking for near "mission impossible" for them to do anything worthwhile these days :rolleyes: ) that give the local TV stations these monopolistic powers over viewer markets this way. The rules were not intended for this, but TV group owners like Sunbeam are exploiting them anyway to extort ever higher retransmission fees from the MSOs.

#103 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

If you saw John Kerry last night, the response wasn't favorable.

LOL

#104 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,568 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

If you saw John Kerry last night, the response wasn't favorable.

!rolling

Do you think Sunbeam did that to him?

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#105 OFFLINE   Terry K

Terry K

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

I don't think so........

If Fox or NBC or CW had that much control in this case, none of their programming would be blacked out. It's the owner of the stations, and has been reported as such.

You are correct in that a network can pull their programming, but they can't make an affiliate show it. Affiliates have refused to air certain programs in the past.

Actually the network can force an alternative should they have to. FOX added that to new contracts that in the case of retrans issues they can import their programming (and only network) into cable systems directly.

#106 OFFLINE   ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Expect more disputes like these in the future. Sunbeam's contract with Comcast will be up later this summer. It will be interesting whether they will be singing the same tune with them.

The real culprit is the networks want a piece of the retrans fees the affiliates are getting from cable & sat companies. Fox apparently wants more than the others. If an affiliate balks, well Fox yanks their programming & moves it to another affiliate. No doubt Sunbeam is probably charging even more to cover what Fox is squeezing them for. That's my theory at least.

#107 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

and we're back. Glad they settled.

#108 OFFLINE   acer505

acer505

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Yes Go Pats

#109 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Educated guess on terms.

50 cents a month, going to 1 dollar by year 5 of contract.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#110 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Is there a way to edit the title of this thread? (Mods?) Since I started the thread I wanted to update the title to indicate the dispute was resolved but I can't figure out how to change it.

Thankfully I finally get to ask this question, BTW.

#111 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

Is there a way to edit the title of this thread? (Mods?) Since I started the thread I wanted to update the title to indicate the dispute was resolved but I can't figure out how to change it.

Thankfully I finally get to ask this question, BTW.

Only the mods can update title after the thread is read and the first reply is given.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#112 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Expect more disputes like these in the future. Sunbeam's contract with Comcast will be up later this summer. It will be interesting whether they will be singing the same tune with them.

The real culprit is the networks want a piece of the retrans fees the affiliates are getting from cable & sat companies. Fox apparently wants more than the others. If an affiliate balks, well Fox yanks their programming & moves it to another affiliate. No doubt Sunbeam is probably charging even more to cover what Fox is squeezing them for. That's my theory at least.

Since one of Sunbean's stations in Boston is an NBC affiliate, it would be an interesting situation if there's a conflict with Comcast. I don't think they will try to use leverage in Boston. They wouldn't like to lose their network affiliation.

#113 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

A mod can lock it and post the URL to the thread stating it's resolved if they want to. Otherwise this thread will die eventually.

#114 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

A good idea.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...