Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Forget the Roos, this is what DISH should have done . . .

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

Samsung 2012 SmartTVs will access DirecTV without a set top box, minimalists rejoice . . .

http://www.engadget....tv-without-stb/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

Samsung 2012 SmartTVs will access DirecTV without a set top box, minimalists rejoice . . .

That would be good if there was no risk you would need to change providers. Some folks seem to get mad at their current provider. Others have to move and find because of LOS problems can't get satellite.

But getting rid of those unsightly boxes would be considered real progress by some, like my wife for instance.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

But getting rid of those unsightly boxes would be considered real progress by some, like my wife for instance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sat TV providers should come up with a "cable card like" device to give people more choices. Between DirectTV and Dish Network, there are enough subscribers out there to make it worthwhile for manufacturers.

But there has to be savings to the consumer for these to work. And sadly, knowing how Dish operates, the card would still cost the same as a leased stb/dvr.

#4 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

I wonder what happens when the hard drive for the DVR function goes bad? Swap out the TV?

#5 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

TVs don't need special hardware - just an app that connects to the "Hopper" - something like ... I don't know ... a ... Sling player app.

-- Roger

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

I wonder what happens when the hard drive for the DVR function goes bad? Swap out the TV?

The harddrive is in the HMC (a DirecTV HR34 in this case). The TV is merely acting as a "dumb" client. No reason DISH could not have an RVU server as well.

#7 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

RVU is a multi-company alliance, and there's no reason Dish couldn't get on board.

The way it's implemented in the Samsung TVs is, there's an input choice, like HDMI or component, labeled RVU.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

The Joey client box can be mounted to the back of a wall-mounted TV. The larger main Hopper box, like the Joeys, uses an RF remote so it too can be placed out of view if you desire (just allow for ventilation and wiring runs).
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#9 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

But there has to be savings to the consumer for these to work. And sadly, knowing how Dish operates, the card would still cost the same as a leased stb/dvr.

You're probably right, but to be fair D* is charging the same leased stb (mirror) fee when using an RVU Tv.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

The Joey client box can be mounted to the back of a wall-mounted TV. The larger main Hopper box, like the Joeys, uses an RF remote so it too can be placed out of view if you desire (just allow for ventilation and wiring runs).

Been looking at the new gear a lot today. But I guess it's limited to 3 remote units. I need 11 at the moment. Unless . . .

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

How long the companies would try to hide own technology under the DECA/MoCA/RVU/etc proprietary obscure standards ? To protect own market ? To guard content owners ?

There is universal well known and robust solution - computers, apps and NETWORK.

What would be better then a media server with ATSC/CableCard/CI slot for DTV or dish cards or both with 1/10 Gbps backbone to 'managed' (internally, from the server SW) switch to 100/1000 Mbps nodes: Smart TV, BR players, etc ?

Should need more security ? DRM is not enough ? Develop and provide one PCIe card with your decoding/encoding algos, protect it by compound as military block !

Nay, the company will fight to the own dead against the technology ... Man, but erosion is started, remember a few years ago they used proprietary OS what very little developers knows ? - now Linux is in each box !

#12 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

. . . What would be better then a media server with ATSC/CableCard/CI slot for DTV or dish cards or both with 1/10 Gbps backbone to 'managed' (internally, from the server SW) switch to 100/1000 Mbps nodes: Smart TV, BR players, etc ? . . .

That would be a dream come true!! Now I'm all tingly.

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

That was the Draco tuner from Dish. Some pics of it leaked out sometime before MS released Win 7 - the theory being that Win 7 had the DRM to keep files from getting "out of the house". I saw screens of Windows Media Center with a Dish Network tuner offered as one of the options - and it would be backed up to your MS Win Home Server box if you had one - and ANY MS Win PC on your LAN could watch whatever you'd recorded - and you could expand your storage by plugging in more drives.

That was 2 years ago in the lab. So where are we now?

#14 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

That was the Draco tuner from Dish. Some pics of it leaked out sometime before MS released Win 7 - the theory being that Win 7 had the DRM to keep files from getting "out of the house". I saw screens of Windows Media Center with a Dish Network tuner offered as one of the options - and it would be backed up to your MS Win Home Server box if you had one - and ANY MS Win PC on your LAN could watch whatever you'd recorded - and you could expand your storage by plugging in more drives.

That was 2 years ago in the lab. So where are we now?

I wish they would get that darn Draco out of the lab and into the field. I'm sorry, but Dish's DVR's cannot compete with a full on PC with Media Center. The search tools alone in Media Center are worth the price of admission. Dish's hardware just does not have the processing power to have all the bells and whistles, and it's just plain sloooooow. Even the Hopper only has a 750 MHz processor. That can't compare to a PC at 3.4 GHz and four cores. With Media Center, I can type in the first few letters of a show, and the listings start popping up. I can sort movies by the number of stars, date released, and filter by genre, actors, directors, descriptions, and more.

Michael

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

My understanding from MS insider info that the Draco project was carefully brought out of the lab and thrown into the trash a couple of years ago. I haven't seen anything to the contrary.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

With Media Center, I can type in the first few letters of a show, and the listings start popping up.

The 922 does this, its dual threaded 350-MHz processor takes about 2 seconds to refine the results after each added letter. I expect the Hopper will be quicker.

I can sort movies by the number of stars, date released, and filter by genre, actors, directors, descriptions, and more.

That's where Dish falls short. They wanted to collect a monthly fee like TiVo, so they invented a DVR "service" fee. The actual service that TiVo offers, though, is a subscription to an EPG with detailed listings. Dish would have people believe that the device's ability to record is a service, and provides the same brief listings that non-DVR receivers get.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

What would be better then a media server with ATSC/CableCard/CI slot for DTV or dish cards or both with 1/10 Gbps backbone to 'managed' (internally, from the server SW) switch to 100/1000 Mbps nodes: Smart TV, BR players, etc ?

That is what I use now..almost. I have 2 ATSC tuners, and DirecTv via HDPVR x 1 tuner, and FTA satellite x 1 tuner. Any and all tuners, are available to record to the server, stream live to my network, stream live from my network via internet to remote location, or play any format video file stored on the server. Its really nice. The HDGUI is totally customizable.
And unlike DirecTv DVRs, if you are watching a program that is recording, say, 30 minutes behind live, when that recording is over, this program does not pop up a "Keep/Delete" box, but lets you keep right on watching the same channel, as long as another recording didnt change it. Skip forward and Backwards times are all programmable. Its great.

Unfortunately, Google bought the rights to it, and stopped its production. Its pretty much like Windows Media Center, but you could buy inexpensive extenders to watch it, whereas Media Center requires an Xbox.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#18 OFFLINE   wizin

wizin

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Just new TV's? I just bought 2011 model

#19 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

The problem is each RVU TV uses a tuner in the main unit. DirecTV's HR34 has 5 tuners so if you are watching on 3 RVU TVs that leaves only two for the main TV. If you network in additional HRxx boxes to the HR34 they use their own tuners so the HR34 still has 5 tuners available.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#20 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

The Hopper has a 750 MHz processor so it is quick with displaying results when searching or the different receiver features. Thanks.

The 922 does this, its dual threaded 350-MHz processor takes about 2 seconds to refine the results after each added letter. I expect the Hopper will be quicker.

That's where Dish falls short. They wanted to collect a monthly fee like TiVo, so they invented a DVR "service" fee. The actual service that TiVo offers, though, is a subscription to an EPG with detailed listings. Dish would have people believe that the device's ability to record is a service, and provides the same brief listings that non-DVR receivers get.

spam firewall