Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wifi CCK Question from a technician

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hombresoto

hombresoto

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have not seen this problem before however my weekly "ration" of Wifi CCK's is very meager. I was on an MRV upgrade and installing the Wifi CCK as part of the job. Everything was going fine until I attempted to enter the customers security key. I entered the key "Zamboni552" (hockey nut) after correctly selecting the SSID of the customers router and the router repeatedly rejected the key. To make sure the passkey was valid I connected to his network on my smartphone. It would not work after several attempts. I have never had this issue.
Any ideas?
SBCA Level 3 Installer. 7,000 dishes installed and counting.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

I have not seen this problem before however my weekly "ration" of Wifi CCK's is very meager. I was on an MRV upgrade and installing the Wifi CCK as part of the job. Everything was going fine until I attempted to enter the customers security key. I entered the key "Zamboni552" (hockey nut) after correctly selecting the SSID of the customers router and the router repeatedly rejected the key. To make sure the passkey was valid I connected to his network on my smartphone. It would not work after several attempts. I have never had this issue.
Any ideas?

Are there any special characters in the SSID? (apostrophe, or the like)

#3 OFFLINE   hombresoto

hombresoto

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

No. My HTC Evo connected to his network just fine. My first thought was the customer gave me the wrong password but that was not the case. No special characters. Router 25' away. Customer did not want cable run through a room (couldn't blame him) or to pay for custom fishing (what else is new).

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Zamboni552

This has both upper & lower case, which may be the problem.
The CCK has a GUI where you can enter upper & lower case, as I think the receiver only does upper case.
Ethernet to the CCK and try: 169.254.34.156
Then use admin for the login and PW
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   hombresoto

hombresoto

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

The receiver allows upper and lower case. Perhaps the "translation" didn't happen correctly.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

The receiver allows upper and lower case. Perhaps the "translation" didn't happen correctly.

I know when we were testing the CCK, some of us needed to login to the GUI to set it up, which was what I was hoping to be helpful with here.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

It may be too late, but if his router has the 'push button' to allow security synch you can try that with the w-cck.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#8 OFFLINE   hombresoto

hombresoto

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

I definitely appreciate the help and suggestions! I think there may be a bug with the upper and lower case configuring via the IRD. I will login to the CCK next time. The customer ended up with a wired BBDeca.

#9 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

If the customer has verizon FIOS it may be as simple as re-booting the router. I had to do that with the old wireless connection kit before MRV. After the re-boot the connection worked on the first try.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

This has both upper & lower case, which may be the problem.
The CCK has a GUI where you can enter upper & lower case, as I think the receiver only does upper case.
Ethernet to the CCK and try: 169.254.34.156
Then use admin for the login and PW

If that address doesn't work, hardwire the CCK to the router temporarily and search the router's DHCP table for "decaw". Then use that address.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

I had one do the same thing, just would not accept the pass code although anything else would, laptop, phone, wii everything connected with the code, just not the wcck

rebooted the router several times

i was going to change the pass code on the router, but the customer's password to log into the router didn't work either, so not sure what to do if they dont know their password.

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

I had one do the same thing, just would not accept the pass code although anything else would, laptop, phone, wii everything connected with the code, just not the wcck

rebooted the router several times

i was going to change the pass code on the router, but the customer's password to log into the router didn't work either, so not sure what to do if they dont know their password.

There's a hard reset button on every router or you could just plug the cck into the router directly as VoS stated.

#13 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

What security modes does the wireless CCK support? New Cisco routers are defaulting to WPA2. If the router is set to WPA2 but the CCK is set to WPA (or WEP) you'd see exactly the described behavior.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

What security modes does the wireless CCK support? New Cisco routers are defaulting to WPA2. If the router is set to WPA2 but the CCK is set to WPA (or WEP) you'd see exactly the described behavior.

WEP,
WPA,
WPA2
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Early models of the cck had a problem where you had to reset the cck (use a toothpick and hold down the reset button for 15 seconds), then reset defaults on the IRD, and then red reset button the ird.

When it comes back up try again and it would work.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#16 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Nothing should be limited to WEP or WPA anymore. Everything recent handles WPA2. Heck, WEP isn't even considered security anymore.

#17 OFFLINE   Dradran

Dradran

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

Today a tech arrived to troubleshoot a bad powerline adapter and the he replaced it with a CCK. The CCK would connect via no security and wep, however when I set my router to WPA,, we couldn't connect WPA even with the passcode as 12345678 and the ssid as netgear. It also would not connect by using WPS either. That is when I let the tech leave. I knew this would take a while to figure out and he had 6 service call after mine and it was already noon.

Then I tried WPA2, changing the router and programming the CCK manually and it would not connect. I even configured the CCK though my computer with not luck. Thanks DBS forums for that information! I had a Netgear WNR834b circa 2006 which supports WPA/WPA2 which I was using to connect our laptop and cell phones. I bought a new Netgear N600 (WNDR3800) at Microcenter and it connected to the CCK without an issue on WPA2. I did manually program the CCK through my computer only because my WPA2 passcode is very long.

Here is what I think is the issue. Just because the router will connect wirelessly to devices (cell phone, laptop) via WPA/WPA2, doesn't mean it is capable of handling a bridge (CCK) at WPA or better encryption. Consequently, the answer may not be what the customer wants to hear but an upgraded router may fix the issue.

I would try to connect via no security and then WEP, if both work and WPA/WPA2 does not. I bet this is the issue.

Edited by Dradran, 12 February 2012 - 02:24 AM.

spam firewall