Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ces 2012 onsite reports

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Both HDTVFAN0001 and RichieRich joined Earl for a nice lunch meeting.

Thanks for the opportunity to meet and have lunch... it was a great time and to put faces with avatars/names.

I am very happy of what has been created here, and very glad that it has continued to grown over these past 4 years behind the mentoring of the great mods an users that make it what it is.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Terrific in-depth reports. Great job!

the Hopper also (wisely) ditches the touchpad remote from the 722.

The touchpad remote was issued with the beta release of the 922 and didn't make the cut for production.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Btw great pics guys, and also reporting! Also nice to be able to put some faces with you guys on here, esp Earl.

looking forward to reading more.

Heh.... wait till you see my new Avatar, assuming I can stay connected long enough to get it cemented in.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

OK, you'll have to guess which one is me.... The other guy is Rohan Marley, an extremely personable guy; face of the Marley efforts here.

Now, are there any specific requests for info on X, Y or Z?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

More News Facebook and DIRECTV at CES see the video here.
http://www.livestrea...21-e6dc0b7cd0b1

#26 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

(reported from the CES exhibit floor)...

Very well-written, informative report. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#27 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

More News Facebook and DIRECTV at CES see the video here.
http://www.livestrea...21-e6dc0b7cd0b1

The last thing in the world I want is for everyone to know what I'm watching. Doesn't anyone value privacy anymore? That app will never be activated here.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Not the average facebook user.

#29 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

The last thing in the world I want is for everyone to know what I'm watching. Doesn't anyone value privacy anymore? That app will never be activated here.

Personally I want every reporting service to know what I am watching. So it doesn't get cancelled There Are many other things I will keep personal. My tv and movie choices are no where on that list
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

It depends on what I'm watching.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Does that factor into the Nielsen ratings? Or are we not there yet?

#32 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Personally I want every reporting service to know what I am watching. So it doesn't get cancelled There Are many other things I will keep personal. My tv and movie choices are no where on that list

man i hate it when one of my fav shows gets cancelled!

#33 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Does that factor into the Nielsen ratings? Or are we not there yet?

I'll never tell :D

#34 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

4K HDTV - (reported from the CES exhibit floor)On a related note – the new high-capacity 50GB Blu Ray disks were said to be sufficient to support 4K content just fine. Several new 50GB Blu Ray players were seen at multiple brand-name vendor booths, with several slated for release this year.

Dual layer (DL) Blu-ray discs are already at 50GB per disc. I'm guessing you are referring to Blu-ray players that can upscale to 4K resolution?

#35 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

It depends on what I'm watching.

I don't think we need to know your TV habits either... It would probably read: "Watches Cinemax 10p-2a..."

;)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

Dual layer (DL) Blu-ray discs are already at 50GB per disc. I'm guessing you are referring to Blu-ray players that can upscale to 4K resolution?

Somewhat yes, somewhat not exactly....there is new technology needed to not only do the 4K presentation, but additional new BD players that have to match the support of the 50GB disks with that corresponding upscale and native 4K video presentation. New 4K content will come at some point, and Blu Ray Disk will likely be the primary source, even befor comsumer-available cameras (that's probably 1-2 years away).

Bottom line - we'll see new BD players that are "4K Enabled".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

ENTROPIC (additional visit). Several DBSTalkers met onsite for a schedule additional information visit regarding Entropic devices and the future of MOCA 2.0.
As a long term technology business partner of DirecTV, Entropic has a history of providing some of the most popular and innovative components within the home implementation infrastructure. Items like SWiM, DECA, and others have been used to evolve new products and services in recent years.
In the case of MOCA 2.0, we learned that this is a roadmap item. Currently, the current version of this proprietary home networking has laid the foundation for Whole Home DVR Service (WHDS) – also known as MRV – for DirecTV. The future will include MOCA 1.1 and eventually MOCA 2.0.
The DirecTV roadmap timelines are not yet firmed up…but seeing new MOCA/DECA adapters later in 2012 and another update in 2013 would not be a surprise. Part of the change will not only include smaller physical adapters, but also self-contained MOCA 1.1 and MOCA 2.0 support in these devices – this will provide a logical path for upgrading existing customer (backwards compatible) networks, as well as lower-cost implementations for new clients. For current DVR and other hardware, the internal network connections will continue to limit the Ethernet post speeds to current levels. Future new HD DVR/ HD receiver devices will likely contain MOCA 1.1 and/or MOCA 2.0 inside, much like the HR24/H25 devices came with MOCA 1.0 (DECA) internal of the units themselves.

Attached Thumbnails

• 011212-Entropic-1.png

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 13 January 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

DOUG BROTT - Similar to our Day One experience at CES, there was yet another special treat – having the good fortune to have Doug Brott (a former DBSTalk moderator) join us on site. As a major past contributor at DBSTalk, Doug recently advanced his career to move on to opportunities working with DirecTV. Previous to his current position, Doug was instrumental in continuing Earl Bonovich’s legacy and success with the DBSTalk Cutting Edge (CE) field testing partnership program with DirecTV. Many of us will always be grateful for his hard work and long hours as a past Moderator and leader at DBSTalk. In Doug’s new role, he will be able to leverage his strong knowledge from the DirecTV user view, along with a robust understanding of the technical and programming perspective towards what is required, preferred, and desired in future DirecTV products and services.

Attached Thumbnails

• 011212-Doug-Brott-1.jpg

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 13 January 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

SD ASSOCIATION – The booth included and interesting presentation about some pending new enhancements to one of the most popular storage format offerings used by millions of users and with thousands of devices including digital cameras, tablets, smart phones, and others.
The interesting announcements at SDA were for new versions of SD cards – 1) with a new version of WIFI self-contained, and 2) a much higher transfer speed offering.
The WIFI-enabled version is in reality closer to Bluetooth than WIFI, in that it allows for photo, data, and other content transfer for 2 SD WIFI card device users from distances only 5-10 meters – but no WIFI connection (other than the devices themselves) is needed. Think tablet to tablet, tablet to camera, camera to smart phone, and scenarios of that nature. New firmware that works with the new cards in devices will provide the infrastructure.
The Higher Speed SD card version is geared toward loading, transferring, and storing large multimedia files in various SD card-enabled devices. Toshiba, Sandisk, and others are early manufacturers supporting these 2 new SD card standards.

Attached Thumbnails

• 011212-SD-Association-1.png
  • 011212-SD-Association-2.png
  • 011212-SD-Association-3.png
  • 011212-SD-Association-4.png

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 13 January 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

DBSTALK DINNER - In the evening, a group of DBSTalkers had what has become a “traditional” event – the on-site DBSTalk dinner at Maggiano’s Italian restaurant, located at the north end of Fashion Show Mall on the Vegas strip…something we actually started 4 years ago. This gathering is always a lot of fun, and this year didn’t disappoint – great food, some laughs, and great discussions about CES, DBSTalk, and meeting several new folks.

This year, the DBSTalker dinner attendees included the following (in the photo):

Top Row (Left To Right) gcd0865, NR4P,Richierich, Dour Brott, Draconis, dirtybirdshirt.

Bottom Row (Left to Right) – GibsonGuy, VLaslow, LAXguy, David Ortiz, HDTVFan00001.

Since there were “old friends” and first-timer “new friends” alike, this was yet another great annual part of the CES experience.

Attached Thumbnails

• 011212-DBSTALKER-DINNER-1.png

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 13 January 2012 - 09:42 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...