Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pauses when watching in another room

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kkollins

kkollins

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Self install. Upgraded to SWM LNB a month ago....whole home worked great no issues....over the weekend I installed a broadband Deca so I would have Cinema and internet connectivity. Everything works...however, when watching a show that was recorded in another room it will play fine for maybe 5 minutes then pause for about 30 seconds and then start playing again...then go anther 5 minutes or so and pause again. Almost like a buffering issue... I'm assuming this is a dropout. I thought that Deca and the coax eliminated this issue? Is this a common problem? If not any suggestions for solutions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,689 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

What model HD DVRs and Receivers do you have?
How are they networked together?
How/where did you install/connect your BB DECA?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   kkollins

kkollins

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

SWM 3 LNB....Power inserter and 8 way splitter......3-HR21's...all with a Deca. BB Deca with power supply coax fed to it from 8 way splitter...Cat 5 runs from my wireless modem into BB Deca..(wireless modem and BB deca are inches apart). Total cable run from 8 way splitter to BB deca is under 4 feet.

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

What is the cable length from the 8 way to the 3 DVRs and from the SWM LNB to the splitter? (An 8 way splitter introduces as much loss as 150' of cable.) Are all the unused ports on the splitter terminated (that should be 4 terminators)? If you have a CCK with 2 coax ports, the one marked "To receiver" should also be terminated. How far is the PI from the SWM LNB? Is it before or after the splitter?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Are the link LEDs on your DECAs green?

If it turns yellow it means that the negotiated rate is below 200mbps and is an indication that you need to do something to improve it. This is where the fun begins. Unfortunately without an HR24 or better, it's harder to see how your network is performing.

In my case, adding a bandstop filter before the power inserter caused all my rates to jump way up (and I have the green label LNB that's not supposed to require it). Sometimes doing things that are counter-intuitive work in your favor - Sometimes a slightly longer coax cable helps.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Are the link LEDs on your DECAs green?

If it turns yellow it means that the negotiated rate is below 200mbps and is an indication that you need to do something to improve it. This is where the fun begins. Unfortunately without an HR24 or better, it's harder to see how your network is performing.

In my case, adding a bandstop filter before the power inserter caused all my rates to jump way up (and I have the green label LNB that's not supposed to require it). Sometimes doing things that are counter-intuitive work in your favor - Sometimes a slightly longer coax cable helps.

Yes it's true without a 24 receiver or above it's hard to know the status of the coax networking.

"In your case" adding the BSF shortened the distance the DECA signal had to pass through. This actually changes the phase of the signal as it came back to the splitter.
While this "fix" isn't in DirecTV's training, I've tested various lengths [with 24s] and have measured improvement and degrading by changing the coax lengths by only 4".
The BSF is easy & cheap, but should you not have one, but have some coax & connectors:
Make up a 16" jumper and this shouldn't change the DECA Mesh rates.
Then substitute a 12", then an 8", and finally a 4". Test each before changing.
If the numbers are the best with the 12", then remove it and cut the coax 4" shorter.
If the 8" is best, cut the coax 8", and if the 4" is best, cut the coax 12".
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   kkollins

kkollins

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

I've got a BSF...will throw that on and see if it helps!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...