Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Facebook and DIRECTV Partnership

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

In an interview on Facebook live Matt Thompson of DIRECTV showed a new TV app that allows DIRECTV customers to see what their friends are watching as well as post "watches" to their Facebook twitter. Currently you can like and comment on a show but the new version of the App will leverage Facebook's new Watch capability and allow you to see what your friends are watching and tune/record even if your friend is on Hulu, Amazon or Comcast (>:
see the video here: http://www.livestrea...21-e6dc0b7cd0b1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever encountered. Who gives a rat's patooty what someone else is watching? Better yet, why would anyone feel it necessary to tell others what they were watching. I'm sorry, but this social networking crap is getting way out of control. And guess what, we are paying for all the people developing this nonsense in our monthly rates.

OK, the old fart has said his piece. :D

#3 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

I agree. But I can see some of these young whippersnappers doing this a lot. I have friends who update their FB status when they go to the 7-11.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#4 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Isnt that what the Facebook TVApp does?

Personally I dont want the world knowing what I watch. I dont need the discussion around the fact that I was actually watching The Bachelor (as an example) or something.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#5 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever encountered. Who gives a rat's patooty what someone else is watching? Better yet, why would anyone feel it necessary to tell others what they were watching. I'm sorry, but this social networking crap is getting way out of control. And guess what, we are paying for all the people developing this nonsense in our monthly rates.

Yes, you are old fashioned and it's unfortunate since I think like you. If most thought like you & I there wouldn't be glorified paparazzi like TMZ, Inside Edition, Access Stars, and whatever other shows there are letting us know where some celebrity ate, who they slept with, what they are wearing, and what color their teeth are. Plus, Ryan Seacrest would not have about 98% of the jobs he has.

#6 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Isnt that what the Facebook TVApp does?

Personally I dont want the world knowing what I watch. I dont need the discussion around the fact that I was actually watching The Bachelor (as an example) or something.

I just posted on my FB page that Xsabresx watches The Bachelor....:D

I kid...I kid...

#7 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

Man. I hope this dies an unused death. Facebook is getting way too intrusive as it is, people should start being concerned for their privacy and security. I use FB to keep up with far-flung relatives. Period. I have the entire apps platform turned off altogether and use a Chrome plug-in to foil some of FB's persistent (and hidden) intrusions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

I also see it being pointless in wasting time 'reporting' what you friends are watching... who cares?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

I think that companies like D* feel the need to say that they have Facebook too. As soon as they have it, some people will use it.

I've been posting photos of my new baby to Facebook to apease my family, and between their religion rants and politics, they'll use this to proclaim their love of Hoarders for all to see.

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

+1......I don't care what my wife is watching let alone what my friends and family are viewing. Would love to meet the partly trained ape that dreamt this up. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Obviously none of you have heard of GetGlue or those other show/movie sharing platforms. People said the same thing about FourSquare when it launched, "Who cares where people are at"? But these and other forms of Social Media "check-in's" are growing tremendously...

#12 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Obviously none of you have heard of GetGlue or those other show/movie sharing platforms. People said the same thing about FourSquare when it launched, "Who cares where people are at"? But these and other forms of Social Media "check-in's" are growing tremendously...

And yet...many of us still don't care, nor will we. :)

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

Yup. same can be said for the growth of "quality" programing like "The Jerry Springer Show", "The Maury Povich Show", ect. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#14 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

You are correct. I've never heard of get glue until right now. Never heard of four squares until the summer when I needed it for my new job.

#15 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yup. same can be said for the growth of "quality" programing like "The Jerry Springer Show", "The Maury Povich Show", ect. :sure:

Yeah...don't think that's the case with FourSquare:

"Why Foursquare Thrives
Foursquare's 10 millionth user mark is impressive for plenty of reasons, but one of the most major is that it had only one percent (100,000) the user base in August 2009; a 10,000 percent growth in under two years is enough to impress anyone, and it bodes well for the company's future."

I guess things like "The Internet" or "Facebook" are just passing fads too?

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Facebook could be. Remember MySpace?

#17 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Facebook could be. Remember MySpace?

MySpace had about 76 million active users at its peak. Facebook has over 800 million.

Edited by Justin23, 15 January 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

+1 here, too!

I am perplexed at how the younger generation just loves to share so much of their personal business to the world. Why in the world would you need to broadcast to the world what you're watching, eating, etc.? :confused:

Anyway, to each his own, but one thing I do believe is that one of the "purposes/benefits" of all this social media integration is the data-collection and -mining that will be used for marketing purposes.

#19 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

+1 here, too!

I am perplexed at how the younger generation just loves to share so much of their personal business to the world. Why in the world would you need to broadcast to the world what you're watching, eating, etc.? :confused:

Anyway, to each his own, but one thing I do believe is that one of the "purposes/benefits" of all this social media integration is the data-collection and -mining that will be used for marketing purposes.

Give it away for FREE so others may profit-Remember if there was no money to be made then it would not be offered for free.

Edited by WestDC, 15 January 2012 - 10:51 AM.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#20 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

At least FourSquare gives something of value in return. On Small Business day last November, I got $50 credited back to my Amex for doing nothing more than checking into the venues I was in and spending money I was already going to spend. At least once a week I get a discount on a meal or purchase. What the heck does DirecTV on FB get us, other than exposing the fact that some people put TV too high on their priority list?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

spam firewall