Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So why did I not know that Playon works with the 922?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

I just bought PlayOn so I could stream a variety of stuff (mostly Hulu) to my AppleTV, and when goofing around with the 922 tonight I hit Home Media.

Well, there's the PlayOn server and the wife says "Wait, that works with the Dish box?"

I stared blankly at the screen and said "huh. Dunno. Haven't tried. Let's see..."

And presto-perfecto, not only does Hulu and Amazon Instant Video work on the 922 with PlayOn, but we get thumbnails for the titles, too. Unreal. WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS SOONER?!

http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/ if anyone else is interested. Lifetime license for $50 instead of $80 right now.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

That's great to know. Thanks for the information!

I just bought PlayOn so I could stream a variety of stuff (mostly Hulu) to my AppleTV, and when goofing around with the 922 tonight I hit Home Media.

Well, there's the PlayOn server and the wife says "Wait, that works with the Dish box?"

I stared blankly at the screen and said "huh. Dunno. Haven't tried. Let's see..."

And presto-perfecto, not only does Hulu and Amazon Instant Video work on the 922 with PlayOn, but we get thumbnails for the titles, too. Unreal. WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS SOONER?!

http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/ if anyone else is interested. Lifetime license for $50 instead of $80 right now.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Lifetime license for $50 instead of $80 right now.

Mine or theirs?

If they go belly-up before I die, do I get a refund?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Theirs, I'd assume. It's already the best $50 I've spent on non-Skyrim software in the last 12 months.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'm not familiar with the service. You paid the license then discovered it is already on the 922, or is it you need to pay the license to use it?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

You pay a license fee to use the streaming service through a PC, Boxee, Roku or other device. He just discovered that the 922 is one of those usable devices.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 789 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

A friend has playlater and loves it. [ with his roku]

He uses it with netflix.

cheers

#8 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Pretty nice that you've been able to find a way to stream video through a VIP922 when Dish has pretty much given up on doing that.

#9 OFFLINE   lownote2

lownote2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Wow... I'll have to check on mine. Funny thing is the 922 isn't listed on the site as a playable device. (or if it is, I missed it.)

#10 OFFLINE   lownote2

lownote2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Oops. My mistake, I caught it myself. 922 isn't a playable device, but will read it through your network if you have the device.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...