Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alcatraz - Series Premier Jan. 16, 2012

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,237 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have no idea what this show is about. It appears to be rather senseless.

Did you watch it?

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

I enjoyed the show and oddly enough my mother, who HATES anything sci-fi, enjoyed it as well. I'll keep the series rolling on my dvr.

I'm just waiting to see if dinosaurs are guarding the outer perimeter of the new prison they are in and it would also be cool to see a time machine in the form of an electric chair. Just an idea. ;)

Edited by rrdirectsr, 17 January 2012 - 04:58 PM.

My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#23 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Did you watch it?

Yep. Live too!

But it looks like a show I'll DVR for awhile before I watch again. This way, I won't forget most of it as they present a wacky plot over months of shows.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#24 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,237 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yep. Live too!

But it looks like a show I'll DVR for awhile before I watch again. This way, I won't forget most of it as they present a wacky plot over months of shows.

We watched American Horror Story that way. It was a fun way to watch a show.

#25 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

It's okay'I'll give it a whirl a few more times.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#26 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,237 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

We got throught the second episode last night. I think it will be a keeper, although there are a few things that concern me like why these people come back after 50 years and are not completely freaked out at the changes. How the guy in the second episode looked at a modern mini security camera and knew that someone was watching him. The little things may get to me.

Time will tell.

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

We got throught the second episode last night. I think it will be a keeper, although there are a few things that concern me like why these people come back after 50 years and are not completely freaked out at the changes. How the guy in the second episode looked at a modern mini security camera and knew that someone was watching him. The little things may get to me.

I wondered that too at first but then thought there's probably an explanation for that. Since we don't know how they are coming back, or how they even left, yet it's possible they already somehow know stuff like that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

I wondered that too at first but then thought there's probably an explanation for that. Since we don't know how they are coming back, or how they even left, yet it's possible they already somehow know stuff like that.

Well if the goal of the show, in order to keep you coming back for more, is to leave a ton of unanswered questions? Then the show is very successful.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#29 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

I liked it. I thought it was very good for a premier. Very few shows have really good first episodes (Lost is an obvious exception). Most shows take a few episodes to find their way, and get better as they go along.

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Well if the goal of the show, in order to keep you coming back for more, is to leave a ton of unanswered questions? Then the show is very successful.

The goal of pretty much every show out there is to get you to come back next week because of unanswered questions...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Time will tell.

I also looked at it that with the second episode we weren't following him around from the time he showed up. He could have already had his "shock and awe" moment, but it wasn't shown to us.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

I liked it, definitely a keeper.

...Asking for a ticket on the return from Alcatraz, how silly was that (I know, the point was he actually had one in his pocket -mystery!- but really?

Yeah, that stuck out a bit!
Also, being sent on an errand- to the gun shop for example- Bam! they're off the rock and in the shop with no boat, car or walking, instantly (yes, I know cuts are a part of movie/show making!) whereas the actual would take at least a half hour.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

@Phrelin- Loved your synopsis!

Perhaps we'll find out that for the last 50 years these "gents" have been playing in Zombie movies, thus learning about modern day SF. The big secret will be how they got upgraded from zombiedom to their physical selves from 50 years back.

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, that stuck out a bit!
Also, being sent on an errand- to the gun shop for example- Bam! they're off the rock and in the shop with no boat, car or walking, instantly (yes, I know cuts are a part of movie/show making!) whereas the actual would take at least a half hour.

If we had to see them go from the island to the mainland every time they do the show would get VERY boring. Same with going to the hidden location where they are keeping the re-captured. For that they established that it was way out in the woods somewhere once, that's good enough for me. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Under Alcatraz seems to be a very inconvenient place for their headquarters. Its got to take at least 30 minutes to get to the boat, back to the dock, and into a car. That seems like a lot of wasted time.

#36 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Under Alcatraz seems to be a very inconvenient place for their headquarters. Its got to take at least 30 minutes to get to the boat, back to the dock, and into a car. That seems like a lot of wasted time.

Yeah, but it sounds cool to have a hidden "bat cave" under Alcatraz. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thank Heavens for cuts! :rolleyes:

I bet, though, that a few times we'll see some operation getting to or from the island in heavy seas, including the dark and stormy night bits, where the urgency to get there is high.

#38 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

I bet, though, that a few times we'll see some operation getting to or from the island in heavy seas, including the dark and stormy night bits, where the urgency to get there is high.

And when they need some time to "discuss the case". :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#39 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

Time will tell.

I thought of this too, but then I realized that they showed a close-up of the camera, then they showed him looking at the camera, then he addressed it directly. Clearly they were sending the audience a message about these people. It's something that they will have to explain the future, but for now we are expected to accept it. After all, if the camera would have thrown them, then "modern" money would look like Monopoly dollars to them, but it doesn't. Somehow, they HAVE been brought up to date. The sniper still used the gun he was the most confortable with though. They each, so far, seem to have come back with a mission, but are allowed leeway to do their own personal business along the way.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#40 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

There have been surveillance cameras in the US since the early 1960's. It is certainly not incenceivable that he figured out that it was just a smaller, shinier version of what he knew to exist in 1963.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...