Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alcatraz - Series Premier Jan. 16, 2012

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

I finally caught up on the pilot and the next episode, haven't seen the episode from 1/23 yet.

I liked what I saw, but clearly see the hand behind "Lost" at the wheel, feeding out some information, leaving clues, again showing us numbers... but it's enough to keep me coming back.

So far we've seen two prisoners return, but no guards. We also saw that the doctor is from 1963, which was a nice surprise I did NOT expect, but answers Hurley's question about why she was so nonplussed about everything.

I wasn't bothered by the '63 cons not being concerned about the changes over the last 48 years - I'm sure there will be some explanation for it. To me it's apparent that something changed with the first con: he was arrested for robbing a "post office" and went to federal prison, got involved in a fight and someone else died, went to Alcatraz. By Hurley's accounts, he was NOT a violent person when he went in to Alcatraz. But when he came out in 2012, he was very comfortable attacking and killing. So ... what was done to him between '63 and now that changed him?

Will be fun to find out...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hurley? :lol:

I know, it's really hard to separate him from that character.

#43 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Easier to use the names I know than the new names I'm learning! ;)

#44 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

On the wall of the '63s room they have pictures of 256 prisoners and 46 guards. But as Hurley pointed out when he and Rebecca went down to the room under the barracks, the guards lived on the rock with their families. With the kids going back and forth to school in San Francisco by boat every day. So there should have been 20 to 30 wives and an unknown number of children taken as well.
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#45 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

On the wall of the '63s room they have pictures of 256 prisoners and 46 guards. But as Hurley pointed out when he and Rebecca went down to the room under the barracks, the guards lived on the rock with their families. With the kids going back and forth to school in San Francisco by boat every day. So there should have been 20 to 30 wives and an unknown number of children taken as well.

Since it was in the process of closing, it's feasible that the wives and kids had been removed already, making new homes on the mainland.
But it's up to the writers.
I hope folks can use the name of today's characters; some of us don't know Hurley from Ben Hur.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#46 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Since it was in the process of closing, it's feasible that the wives and kids had been removed already, making new homes on the mainland.

I think that is the most logical scenario.

#47 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

I hope folks can use the name of today's characters; some of us don't know Hurley from Ben Hur.

I thought that the 'authorities" in 1963 decided to announce the closing only AFTER everyone had disappeared... in other words, a cover up. In that case, I guess there should be some family members on the wall, along with maintenance and medical staffs for that matter.

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

I thought that the 'authorities" in 1963 decided to announce the closing only AFTER everyone had disappeared... in other words, a cover up. In that case, I guess there should be some family members on the wall, along with maintenance and medical staffs for that matter.

Either scenario works fine; we'll see what the writers come up with! I missed the coverup dialog, but like the idea!

Heh: Wonder if all living creatures were so transmutated.... so we'd have dogs, rats, fleas and cockroaches in the mix!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#49 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Unless all these guards came from extremely small families, relatives are going to raise questions.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#50 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

No, it was closing anyways. In the opening scene the boat is coming back to get more prisoners for transfer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#51 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

This weeks episode did give us another non-prisoner returnee. One of my favorite actors.

Spoiler

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#52 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

This weeks episode did give us another non-prisoner returnee. One of my favorite actors.

Spoiler

I might be wrong but wasn't he in the previous episode back treating one of the prisoners.

#53 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

I might be wrong but wasn't he in the previous episode back treating one of the prisoners.

Yes, he was in the pilot.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#54 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yes, he was in the pilot.

I remember seeing him previously in the then but I don't remember if he was shown in the now. But at my age I'm doing good to remember what I had for breakfast this morning.:P

#55 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Spoiler

Thanks for posting that. I've always enjoyed his work, but didn't know his name. I probably spent 2 hours this week googling trying to figure out his name since he isn't listed in the credits.

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Actually, he was in the credits of the pilot. And IMDb now has his "Alcatraz" pilot credit on his page and on the episode page.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#57 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Actually, he was in the credits of the pilot. And IMDb now has his "Alcatraz" pilot credit on his page and on the episode page.

Thanks. I had only checked the main page on IMDB. And I vaguely recall him listed on the credits in the last episode. I wonder when Fox will include him on the Alcatraz site?

#58 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

No, it was closing anyways. In the opening scene the boat is coming back to get more prisoners for transfer.

Thanks. I was trying to pay attention, but I must have missed a line in the opening dialog...

spam firewall