Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RURAL TV

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,288 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

That's not all what I meant. I mean if nobody is asking for that channel, then why even bother adding it. Pay-tv providers are always whining about the cost of programming, then why pay for something that isn't being asked for? Instead save that money for channels people actually want.

Perhaps if the channels that "people are asking for" would accept a reasonable offer for carriage they would be on more systems. Then the providers would not have to choose between 10 channels and 1 when spending their programming dollars.

Programmers that offer extremely low prices or offer programming with more than a niche following are more likely to see their programming added.

I have the AT200 package and it has several Spanish language channels. I have nothing against these channels, but since Dish already offers several Spanish language packages, why are they in this package? The money saved from removing those could be added to pay for BBC World News or FEARnet or some other high demand channel.

The channels are older established channels added at a time when other options didn't exist. As established channels they have a good bargaining position when it comes to package placement. Those channels could easily say "if our core channels are not in your English package you can't carry us at all" and not having those channels in the Spanish packages would gut the packages. They are also popular channels ... perhaps not in your home, but they do get viewership and having them available makes DISH's packages better.

The only reason why BBC World News and FEARnet are "high demand" is because they are not carried. The popularity of the channel has to go beyond a few people "demanding" the channel on the Internet. When there are more people actually watching the channels you're targeting for removal than asking for the new channels the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

to pay for BBC World News or FEARnet or some other high demand channel.

Define 'high demand'. A few people asking for them on a discussion board? What percentage of Dish subscribers would that be?

Because you don't see requests here for RFD or Rural, do you think that means no one wants them?

RFD-TV Is #1 Network For Adult Viewers 50+

According to Nielsen Media Research (2010), RFD-TV is the #1 ad-supported cable television network for adults 50+ in audience composition.

Additionally, RFD-TV proudly boasts a weekly audience of over 11.2 million adults 18+. Anchoring the broadcast week is RFD-TV’s "Music Row" (Saturday 6 p.m. – 1 a.m. EST). This star-studded lineup features the very best in traditional country music programming, delivering an extraordinary 2.7+ million adults weekly (Nielsen Media Research, 2010).

http://www.alafarmne...92f20df=a83c6e4

OMAHA, Neb. – (May 11, 2010) – RURAL MEDIA GROUP, Inc.’s flagship television network, RFD-TV, celebrates its 10th year of broadcasting.

With 10 years experience comes new audience records. In March 2010, RFD-TV recorded it’s best-ever rating period (Nielsen) with Total Adult Weekly Viewership posting a hearty year-to-year increase of over +19.3% (11,286,000 weekly viewers).

Additional Nielsen Measured Growth Includes:

• RFD-TV Household Universe Growth: +7.8%

• RFD-TV Total Household Weekly Viewership Growth: +19.0%

http://www.rfdtv.com...cade_of_growth/
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#23 OFFLINE   gmdarcy

gmdarcy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

I have not read anything official yet. I'm just guessing, but I would not be surprised if Rural TV will be on Dish Network channel 232. Dish is moving KTLA from 232 to 233. RFDTV is on 231. That would put RFDTV and Rural TV side-by-side. :)

#24 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:54 AM

Looks like DISH will carry Rural TV on channel 232 beginning February 1.

Not showing up yet.

#25 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

Dish has cleared ch 232 but nothing there yet. Wonder if RURAL got launched on schedule?

Oh, just answered my own question. RFD TV website now shows the launch for RURAL as February 15.

#26 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Define 'high demand'. A few people asking for them on a discussion board? What percentage of Dish subscribers would that be?

Because you don't see requests here for RFD or Rural, do you think that means no one wants them?

http://www.alafarmne...92f20df=a83c6e4

http://www.rfdtv.com...cade_of_growth/

Why didn't somebody say something about the Polka Party? I love Polkas. :)

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#27 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

I like The Jimmy Sturr show.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 16 February 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

There's that dead quote, again. Please PM for help.

#29 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

Not showing up yet.

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,288 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Not showing up yet.

Better now? :)

#31 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

YEAH!!

Lorriane Crook's legs are back!

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1329350045

Attached Thumbnails

• CrookLegs1.jpg

Edited by SayWhat?, 15 February 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

YEAH!!

I did not know her lost them.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 13 January 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   dbspr

dbspr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

I have the AT200 package and it has several Spanish language channels. I have nothing against these channels, but since Dish already offers several Spanish language packages, why are they in this package? The money saved from removing those could be added to pay for BBC World News or FEARnet or some other high demand channel.

Univision, Galavision & Telefutura?

#34 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

New afternoon and evening schedule beginning Jan 1 including The Saint, Remington Steele and WKRP

They've already been running Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Newhart in the evenings.

#35 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

YEAH!!

How did her get along without them?

spam firewall