Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

More than 16 tuners

youtube sdl 301

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gpauljr

gpauljr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

I currently use MRV and have a SWIM 16. I am utilizing 15 tuners (6 DVR and 3 regular tuners). I am anticipating adding more locations, but wonder what happens when you go over 16 tuners. Can they add another SWIM module or do you need to add an additional dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 480 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

For satellite signal purposes, you just add a second SWM16, driven by the 4 legacy outputs from the first SWM16. That gives you 16 more tuners.

However, to get MRV to work across the two, may require a little more fiddling. Probably you would have to use two CCKs, one from each SWM16, bridged via an Ethernet switch. These would need to be wired CCKs.

There are also some limits on the number of nodes allowed in a single MRV "cloud", which you may be getting close to.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Yep; see here for a diagram for two cascaded SWiM-16s;

http://www.dbstalk.c...183#post2937183

And DECA node limit is 16. Beyond that the "Unified PlayList" (UPL) on each receiver will not display all other connected receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

And DECA node limit is 16.

"but" in a configuration like you posted, there will be two DECA clouds, so neither will have reached the 16 node limit.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

I thought I saw a SWM 32 at CES!!!

In fact I have a Picture of it.

Are they not for Sale yet???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

I thought I saw a SWM 32 at CES!!!

In fact I have a Picture of it.

Are they not for Sale yet???

Yes. But yikes, look at the price tag.

http://www.satpro.tv/SWM32R0-09-2.aspx

Also, it's really just 4 SWiM8s all mashed together. There isn't a DECA bridge between any of them.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

If You Need More Than 16 Tuners You Can Afford $600 or less for a SWM32!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

"but" in a configuration like you posted, there will be two DECA clouds, so neither will have reached the 16 node limit.

Well that's what I meant to infer by my "Yep." :)

That's is to confirm PokerJoker's previous post explaining how two CCKs and an ethernet switch would be needed to link the two DECA clouds.

My posting of the link to the illustration was meant to be in addition to that acknowledgment.

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Or just cascade a SWiM-8, that's what I have. Fairly inexpensive, but you may need to have two CCK's if MRV.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#10 OFFLINE   Notthecableguy

Notthecableguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Any new word on when and if a SWM32 with full internal DECA linking might be released?

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

And DECA node limit is 16. Beyond that the "Unified PlayList" (UPL) on each receiver will not display all other connected receivers.

A DirecTV tech was out at my home this past weekend working on a unrelated issue and the very first thing he stated was 'Cascading' was not supported with SWM-16's and that he needed to install a SWM Expander.
I explained that I had been using this set-up with a number of different Multi-Switches and SWM's for many years and have never had an issue. The tech called his supervisor and he stated that while cascading does work with SWM-16's there was a number of issues and that DirecTV preferred tech's use a SWM expander when having to join 2 or more units together.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Any new word on when and if a SWM32 with full internal DECA linking might be released?

The SWiM-32 is for commercial use, so I doubt there are any plans for DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

A DirecTV tech was out at my home this past weekend working on a unrelated issue and the very first thing he stated was 'Cascading' was not supported with SWM-16's and that he needed to install a SWM Expander.
I explained that I had been using this set-up with a number of different Multi-Switches and SWM's for many years and have never had an issue. The tech called his supervisor and he stated that while cascading does work with SWM-16's there was a number of issues and that DirecTV preferred tech's use a SWM expander when having to join 2 or more units together.

Through some recent testing, the legacy ports are 10 dB below the SWiM-16's input levels, so when cascading a second SWiM-16 [or other switch] off the legacy ports, the lower levels will cause rainfade sooner on the cascaded switch/receiver(s).
The SWiM expander is merely a block of 2-way splitters in one package, so the trade-off is:

• drop the levels to both SWiMs by 4-6 dB equally
  • drop the levels to only the second SWiM by 10 dB

There's some more on this here:
http://forums.solids...ers-in-the-home

Edited by veryoldschool, 23 April 2012 - 04:00 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

That's what my installers did two weeks ago. 25 tuners including one HR34 by paralleled SWiM-16 setups including ICK's using splitters (total of 4- 2way sat splitters off 5LNB Slimline dish, 2- SWiM-16 multiswitches, 2- PI's, 2- ICK's, 4- SWiM-8 Splitters). All working under one cloud.

Having a lot of issues with the 34 in the mix after the install.

Maybe we watch and record too much DirecTV? :eek2:

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

That's what my installers did two weeks ago. 25 tuners including one HR34 by paralleled SWiM-16 setups including ICK's using splitters (total of 4- 2way sat splitters off 5LNB Slimline dish, 2- SWiM-16 multiswitches, 2- PI's, 2- ICK's, 4- SWiM-8 Splitters). All working under one cloud.

Having a lot of issues with the 34 in the mix after the install.

Maybe we watch and record too much DirecTV? :eek2:

While they're all networked, you're joining two DECA clouds. Should you run a DECA test, you'll see only the DECAs on the cloud the receiver is connected to.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hey VOS-

Waking up this old thread again.  I am having an issue of DSL bandwidth from my provider since I am near the end of the line.  When it gets to about 5PM every night, and 4PM on weekends, it gets so bad that my Pandora stops working correctly on my HD-DVR's.

At my camping property 2 hours up north, I have two HD-DVR's networked on a SWiM setup.  The neighbor next door has wireless internet access, and I have a Netgear 2500 extender set up halfway between my camper and his house.  Using a W-CCK, Pandora works great up there.  We shut down power to receivers when we come back home.

Now back at home, my next door neighbor who has Time Warner Cable, gave us access to their wireless.  I have installed the same Netgear Extender and we utilize their internet access when our bandwidth drops on our DSL.  I am still running a parallel SWiM-16 setup with two wired CCK's.  If I go with DirecTV's wireless CCK, can I get away with just one or do I need two to catch both SWiM-16's? 

I searched around for a diagram but cannot locate one here at DBSTalk, unless I missed it.  We want to be able to run our Pandora at home during prime time without interruptions at times of low bandwidth.  We subscribe to the highest DSL plan we can get with CenturyLink.  Besides the connected home setup we have, all receivers are also plugged into a phone line, so there should be no issue with TOS.

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hey VOS-

Now back at home, my next door neighbor who has Time Warner Cable, gave us access to their wireless.  I have installed the same Netgear Extender and we utilize their internet access when our bandwidth drops on our DSL.  I am still running a parallel SWiM-16 setup with two wired CCK's.  If I go with DirecTV's wireless CCK, can I get away with just one or do I need two to catch both SWiM-16's? 

I searched around for a diagram but cannot locate one here at DBSTalk, unless I missed it.  We want to be able to run our Pandora at home during prime time without interruptions at times of low bandwidth.  We subscribe to the highest DSL plan we can get with CenturyLink.  Besides the connected home setup we have, all receivers are also plugged into a phone line, so there should be no issue with TOS.

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You'd need to use two Wireless CCKs, "or" one with a switch connecting it to the two CCKs on the SWiMs.

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

So I have a Netgear 5 port Ethernet switch laying around, if I take that and run the cat-5's off the wired CCK's into the switch, then a cat-5 off the switch to the wireless CCK, do I even need to connect the coax to anything on the WCCK?

I am trying to picture this in my head right now as I am sitting in continuing ed.

Thanks.........

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

So I have a Netgear 5 port Ethernet switch laying around, if I take that and run the cat-5's off the wired CCK's into the switch, then a cat-5 off the switch to the wireless CCK, do I even need to connect the coax to anything on the WCCK?

I am trying to picture this in my head right now as I am sitting in continuing ed.

Thanks.........

no coax to the WCCK

A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

For satellite signal purposes, you just add a second SWM16, driven by the 4 legacy outputs from the first SWM16. That gives you 16 more tuners.

However, to get MRV to work across the two, may require a little more fiddling. Probably you would have to use two CCKs, one from each SWM16, bridged via an Ethernet switch. These would need to be wired CCKs.

There are also some limits on the number of nodes allowed in a single MRV "cloud", which you may be getting close to.

Keith

sending you a pm

DIRECTV Technician
-------------------------------------------
My opinions are mine and do not reflect those of either my HSP or DIRECTV.BUT SHOULD BE!!!
-------------------------------------------
Worker rights!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...